Easton Vista wheelsets - clincher

Vista

• Precision-sealed cartridge bearings
  • Steel-body internal ratchet mechanism
  • Nickle-plated brass front and rear nipples
  • 1797 grams weight

Soundtallica   Road Racer [Sep 04, 2012]
Strength:

Looks, bombproof, hold momentum well, pretty aero, price

SLOWW to accelerate, freehub has slow engagement, weight (mine is 1800 grams), overall dulls the explosiveness of any bike

There is nothing wrong with these wheels. They are your typical aero and fancy-looking low end wheels. They are bombproof as they have survived countless potholes, and they hold momentum very well on flats. Additionally they look good as well. However, I cannot stand these wheels as they are the slowest accelerating wheels I have ever ridden. The freehub engagement is terrible, which leads to a winding-up and delayed response when you stab at the pedals, and the Vistas aren't the lightest wheels either. I have ridden many wheels that are the same weight as these (Open Pros, Vector Comps, Pave SL's, Ritchey Aero, etc.) and all spin up better. In all, the Vistas are a good quality cheap training wheel with dull acceleration.

Similar Products Used: Open Pros, Vector Comps, Pave SL's, Ritchey Aero, etc.
John Lake   Recreational Rider [May 15, 2010]
Strength:

For value wheels I was very happy with them prior to spokes going.

Spokes.

Came standard with my 2008 Cervelo RS (I suspect Cervelo used these wheels to keep cost down?). Have not had any complaints until broke two spokes over course of two months. The last incident downhill at 75kph on a smooth road shook me as wheel buckled staight away, so fair to say lost confidence in them! Not sure what to replace them with though, as I am 93kg and need something strong and preferably lighter then the Vistas.

Nicholas Ian Tyson   Triathlete [Aug 05, 2009]
Strength:

poor

I got my old ones & more happier then with the new ones

5'11 153lbs.
I own a set of 2004 Easton VISTA.
but, my cervelo came with a set of 2006 wheelset & rode like crap.
Bell bot out the easton.CO in 2005

mikek   Commuter [Jul 31, 2009]
Strength:

Strong and Reliable
Not much maintenance required
Relatively cheap

Narrow width
"Soft" freehub body

These wheels came stock with a previously purchased bike. I transferred them over to my everyday road bike because these wheels can take a pounding! A slight truing twice a year and that was all it needed to stay round. The rim width is very narrow, some tires are a nightmare to mount. I retired this wheelset after 5000 miles. The cassette dug about halfway into the freehub body that it took a hammer to take them out.

deryckvlee   Road Racer [Jun 20, 2009]
Strength:

Beefy, quick, strong

Very tight fit with Michelin Lithion tires, could be wheel, could be tire

Thes are great wheels, for all the complaints that they are heavy
, 1797gm, keep in mind their purpose. I'm 6'3" 225 and can pump hard. These wheels get the job done. I have a hard time finding a "light" wheel for my size under $600. If you're 165 pounds and complain they're heavy, yes they are. Unfortunately a budget wheel for a light guy is a bit heavier. I bought these after I dented my Cane Creeks and needed wheels fast, I don't regret the purchase. I'm saving for Rol Race SL's or possibly Easton EA90 SL's based on this purchase

Similar Products Used: Cane Creek Strados
johnny wall   Road Racer [Feb 15, 2008]
Strength:

Price to weight ratio. Good all-rounder.

Not so great on really steep grades due to "wind-up".

Purchased these because of price and Velomax/Easton reputation. I also liked the J-bend spokes since they are easy to come by in any LBS. This is my only wheelset so I wanted something durable and reasonably lightweight. They have served all of my expectations, with exception to very steep grades--- they wind up A LOT. What I mean is that you can actually feel the hub twisting just ahead of the rim under very heavy load. This has been the case right out of the box. If you don't have 17%-20% grades where you live then I wouldn't worry...

Similar Products Used: Too many to mention...
dhtucker4   Recreational Rider [Dec 24, 2007]
Strength:

The hubs.

Too damn heavy.

Right off, they're not the lightest wheels in the Easton/Velomax stable, and the height of the rim during a stiff crosswind is not optimal. I like the regular J-bend spokes, so any LBS can true them. Once you get them up to speed they are fine, but getting them up to speed takes a lot of effort.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey Pro, Velocity Aerohead, CODA.
Alfonso Delgardeo   Recreational Rider [Oct 15, 2007]
Strength:

Looks, seem to be strong. Have been reliable.

I think that they're kind of on the heavy side.

Had the option of choosing these or some Shimano's when I bought my bike. These looked better. Have done 4,500km and had no issues with them. Looking to get some lighter race wheels, but will keep these for training on. Still true, don't seem to flex too much.

Similar Products Used: None.
tifighter   Recreational Rider [Sep 26, 2007]

I had questions about why my review rates the set as a 1, when I stated they were good. It was a scroll down error on my part. I rate them a 5.

tifighter   Recreational Rider [Sep 16, 2007]
Strength:

maintain true
rear hub spins smooth and silent
fast on flats

Weight and sluggishness could be weaknesses, but expected performance is on par with price range.

These wheels were spec'd on my bike and I'm glad they were. They can handle the daily rigors of high mileage training and abuse. The rear hub is smooth and virtually silent. With an aero profile and 1800 grams of heft, they accelerate sluggishly and can bog down on tough climbs. The same will enable you to fly down flat roads. I've never had to true these and they have close to 5,000 miles on them. The rear wheel came with an acceptable hop and lateral deflection; hasn't progressed at all since day 1. These are perfect everyday training wheels that'll keep you rolling trouble free. Performance wise, they are spot on with their pricepoint.