FSA RD 400 wheelsets - clincher

FSA RD 400 wheelsets - clincher

• TubolaroTM rims with round cross section
  • 7075 aluminum cassette body
  • Elegant,medium height flanges strengthen spoke structure
  • Fedelini stainless spokes by Wheelsmith
  • Hidden nipples in 7075 aluminum

[Jan 04, 2011]
macchio

Strength:

deep aero profile, seems lightweight (esp. compared to the cosmos), inexpensive, matches the ultegra sl group well

horrendous reputation and previous reviews

saw the horrible past reviews on this wheelset. was looking to downsize my overflow of bikes so i took a risk and did a partial trade+cash (an old specialized p1) for these as i was looking for a lighter wheelset (i previously road mavic cosmos)

i never believed in the notion of a "faster" wheelset as i attributed speed to the rider (and + i've had limited experience with newer wheelsets). however, after swapping these wheels for the cosmos, i noticed notably faster speeds on flats, climbs, and descents on the ol' cateye mity 8.

of course, i've only owned these for a few months.. so maybe the hub and strength problems will come later. ill cross my fingers and hope they stay the way they are, with no need for service just yet. i am a relatively light rider (6' 165 lbs) so hopefully this will help alleviate any potential problems.

mavic cosmos, mavic cxp 30s, old wolber box rims, old ambrosia box rims, velocity track wheelset

[Sep 07, 2010]
Džoko

I bought FSA RD 400 one year ago. Finally i see them fuc.ing great , fast and hard!! Really race wheel set!! I had no problem fduring this year and i can feel the transmition of force on the czech worst asphalt!!Really no problem, and I am 1.80 m, 75 kg!!! I have to recomend it!!!!

[May 01, 2009]
Kyle Valenta

Strength:

Lightweight

I have sent these wheels back to FSA three times. I have broken spokes on them on ten occasions. I am not a heavy rider (165lbs).

These wheels are the worst. I have never had such a bad experience with this wheel set. I would never recommend them.

[Aug 19, 2008]
tcd5bikes

Strength:

Low price, low weight, they do look great too.

Noisy, creaking, sqeaking. Questionable durability; spoke breakage and rim cracks.
Worst of all is the poor customer service.

I purchased the RD400 wheels, in late 2003, based on FSA's good reputation at the time. $400 is a good mid-range price for the average cyclist.
Within 3 months of use, the rear wheel started breaking spokes. I returned the wheel to FSA , who replaced it under warranty. Now both the front and rear rims have developed cracks which are up to an inch in length. The cracks are spreading outward from most spoke clearance holes.Luckily I noticed this before the wheel weakened too much. When reporting this to FSA, they know about the cracking rims and the spoke breakage problems. However, they will not extend their warranty to cover my wheels which have the above mentioned problems they they are aware of. The wheels perform adequately, but not spectacular.

performace fuego,mavic sup wheels built by Colorado Cyclist

[Apr 21, 2008]
sestmily

Strength:

Light, durable spooks, holds tru

Freebody hub soft

Purchased as part of complete bike. I am 6 foot and 185 lbs. I put just under 6000 miles on these rims in the first 15 months I owned them. The only problem I had was when my cassette cogs had gotten torqued into the freebody hub at the 8 or 9 month mark. Another review mentioned this same problem. I replaced the freebody hub for with a new/better one for $40 and had no other problems since. The first time I had to have these wheels trued was at the same 6000 mile, 15 month mark after I hit a deep hole - bad enough to take me down and separating my left shoulder. Even after that they weren't terribly out of true and could still be ridden.

[Sep 17, 2007]
Ross Livingston

Strength:

* comfortable, yet responsive ride
* fast (hey - I weigh 235, so it's all relative, but they feel fast to me
* they look great on my Klein!

* a hassle to true (must dismount tire)

After shopping for a new (to me) used bike for months, I finally found a great one. The only thing I was uncertain about were the FSA RD-400 wheels which I knew nothing about. So I came here to read reviews.

I was pretty leery, after reading that some people had problems with these wheels. So I went to fullspeedahead.com and posted some questions to their tech support team. This review is about what I learned through that experience, and in the several hundred miles I've put on the wheels since I've owned them (they had ~5,000 miles on them when I got them):

* Earlier versions of this wheelset did have problems. Those problems (skewers, rims) have been solved. Period.
* FSA tech support were fantastic! Ric, in particular, was wonderful. He was patient, and answered all my questions to my total satisfaction. I couldn't have asked for better support.
* After following the instructions on the FSA web site, the freewheel on my wheel went from being very loud to rather quiet.
* These wheels are fast, and I love the way they ride (I have Continental Grand Prix mounted).

As I said, these wheels had about 5,000 miles on them when I got them. I know the previous owner never had them trued, but there was an owner before him and I don't know if he ever touched them with a spoke wrench. I've only put a couple hundred miles on them so far, and with no issues. I'm a big rider at 235 lbs.

On the negative side, I'm not a big fan of the hidden nipple design. They look great, but what a pain to true them! But I called several local bike shops, and all said they would true these wheels for the same price as any other wheel.

In summary, I strongly encourage others to give these wheels consideration. Keep in mind that some low ratings were probably with an early version of this wheel that had problems. FSA have fixed those problems. To reflect those changes, they will be changing the model number of this wheel in the future. In the meantime, give them a try!

Old school wheels on my Cannondale commuter

[Aug 19, 2007]
bikeman

Strength:

I am fairly rough on wheels, lots of dirt road and heavy pothole riding, racing, ect. They have about 10k miles on them and I have had to touch them with a spoke wrench ONCE, and barely any truing was needed at that.

Well the initial pair was crummy but FSA remedied that. They are not super light either, I think when FSA updated their rim design to solve the problem they put little braces in the rim where the nipple sits, which adds weight.

Although I initially had problems with the wheels when I purchased them (2 years ago) when the spokes began to crack the rim, I've had nothing but good luck with the replacement set FSA sent.

Mavic (awesome), Bontrager (terrible), spinergy

[Jul 28, 2007]
oldbikedan

Strength:

Bulletproof so far. Good looks.

A little heavy. Noisy freehub.

I damaged my old school 32 spoke rear wheel and decided to update to some new low spoke count wheels. After reading the reviews, I was hesitant to purchase these wheels, but I was able to get a good deal, so I took the plunge. The first thing I did after unpacking them was to weigh them. I was disappointed that they were noticeably heavier (760/931g w/rim tape) than published. Still, I threw them on and was surprised that they definitely felt faster and stiffer. Now, 1 year later, I have never had to touch them with a spoke wrench. I weigh 185lbs, so I'm no lightweight, and have pinch flatted tires a couple of times as well as some good pothole impacts, but the wheels are still true and round. I am quite happy with them, so I felt I needed to add my positive experience with these wheels in with all of the negative ones.

None, just 32 spoke wheels

[Mar 07, 2007]
ivan in tacoma

Strength:

makes a great paper weight.

fsa robbed 15 minutes of my life ill never get that back.

fsa rd 400- heres the real deal they are light the front wheel will never give you trouble and the hub spins well, now the bad the rear wheel, i weigh 200lbs and true them alot till they were lock tightened then they stay true, no broken spokes but you will break them if you ride them alot, i havent riddin more than 80 miles on them and why? because they suck balls. the hubs bearing were never placed correctly and were damaged and then i wait for my ordered new pair and iam still waiting. ill guess when i do put them in i wont be able to do it right since the hub looks botched up inside, i wouldnt even gives these wheels to my ex wife!

mavic open pro's/ aksiums.

[Feb 01, 2007]
TheSageman

Strength:

Stylish,light.

Spokes. Spokes. Bloody spokes.

I took a gamble after reading many negative (and a few positive reviews). Even still, I called FSA in WA. and asked if they had any recall issues with my particular serial #. Guy said no- mostly with RD200 series. Apparently, the red and silver decal wheels are " OK " by his estimation. Weight wise I admit to being a bit over my target weight but nothing excessive- 177 from 165. Its winter ya know. As for the ride quality they're great- 1465 grams for the pair isnt too bad compared to my bomb-proof Mavic Cosmic Elites of yesteryear. I haven't had any truing issues- even if I did, I'd do them myself with my handy truing stand 65.00 bucks Canadian at MEC. More on this later.
The spokes however are another story. Broke 2 in 6 rides. First one going around a corner thru the apex and I hammered it- snap. OK, maybe that one was a one-off. The next one was equally embarrassing as it was disheartening. On a nice straight flat on the Lakeshore Path near Sunnyside in Toronto I called out a fun sprint to the Humber Bridge where the spoke snapped 2 strokes out of the saddle. Bad, very bad. I've ridden on the atleast 15 more rides and not a peep. I did true them to .15mm on the stand when I replaced the spoke with regular Wheelsmith J-ends. I think thats the key. The original double flared end spokes are just crap. Even though i'm still a novice wheelsmith, they feel better than factory. I'm going to replace each spoke 1 or 2 at a time cause I imagine it'll be a real pain to do all at once. And yes, the hidden nipple thing is a beeyatch. My Mavics are soo much easier to deal with.