Fulcrum Racing 3 wheelsets - clincher

Fulcrum Racing 3 wheelsets - clincher

The Fulcrum Racing 3 is right at home on the race course but it is still plenty durable for everyday training. This new version features updated aesthetics a larger drive side hub flange for more efficient power transfer Shimano 11-speed compatibility and a new eccentric quick-release.

[May 18, 2018]
Peter_T

Strength:

Strong and stiff. Not the lightest in this price range but very light for wheels that work well for clydesdales. I weigh 99kgs and am starting my third season on these (purchased new in May, 2016). I have had to true the rear wheel a little bit twice in +5500 miles on them. I take care of the hubs and monitor their adjustment. So far no problems.

As other reviewers say, it does take strong hands and/or good tire tools to fit new tires on these. On these I have run Conti 4000sii's, Scwalbe Ones, and this season I am trying the new Vittoria Corsa G+ tires.

Price Paid:
$400
Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2016
[May 20, 2016]
Martin

Strength:

light and stiff wheels.

durability and guarantee

after 23 months the freewheel got more and more friction on the hub.
The moving parts, bearings and hub, are not included in the two year guarantee.
Repair would cost me over 200 euro's for the rear wheel.
New price around Euro 400.- for a new set.
Will go for a new mavic ksyrium elite set now euro 500.-

[Sep 22, 2014]
Georgie D

Strength:

Good value, light (for the price) and nice to ride.

Major weakness from my point of view: Impossible to mount tyres, very disappointing. These wheels now sit on my garage floor, only a couple of months old. I am a small female rider with relatively small hands.

Do not buy these wheels unless you have hands/thumbs of steel. Otherwise you will cry tears of rage the first time you are on a solo ride and have a puncture!

[Jul 14, 2014]
Sean Murphy

Strength:

Value, strength, looks

Tubeless tires/wheels very difficult to dismount/mount. Needs a few stiff tire levels.

Bought 2 year ago from LBS, no problems. About 3000 km on them. Stiff enough to not flex when my 86kg body is bending them on a climb. Don't know what a 'silent' cassette is, this thing is loud (I use it to alert pedestrians or other cyclist, or to scare off dogs - just stop peddling). No problems with skipping - seem to engage quickly and consistently. The white hubs look 'interesting' with the gray Obea frame, not unpleasant - yet uncommon. Work great with Campy Chorus 11s.

Hutchinson tires were incompatible with me - can't keep air in them, or sidewalls in one piece. Only run Maxxis Padrone - only get 1500 km from a set, but they have been (almost) flat free. The theory that tubeless don't get pinch flats is incorrect - they do. You can also patch holes in tubeless tires, just like a car tire (sand paper, glue, tube patch).

I'm pleased I bought the Fulcrum 3's, and really like tubeless wheels.

[Jul 20, 2012]
Tony Loh

Strength:

Stiff, good rolling, no need rim tape, looks, price

Perhaps slightly heavy

Bought on 25June2012. Been eyeing for a while for it as not many suited my budget.
I'm 70kg. Free wheeling on air lasted 1m35s. Where as my other wheel Soul S2.0 did 2m45s.
Can't compare becos many thousands of km on it already ;-)

Ridden 700km, the free wheeling ratchet sound is still not regular n loud enuf yet :-)
Just finished Ipoh Malaysia Century Ride 2012 last weekend. It is still very true even aft going
into uneven road n potholes. I'm amazed! I'm using Conti GP4000 RED tires on it :-)

Fulcrum Redmetal 5 on my Giant XTC NRS2

[May 04, 2012]
Pat

Strength:

Very durable. I am 110kgs and have ridden over 3000kms without a single problem over some rough roads and through plenty of potholes.

I have the tubeless/clincher version and some tyres (e.g. Vredestein and Conti's) are almost impossible to fit. Schwalbe worked best.

Overall I am very happy with these wheels

[Mar 15, 2012]
Nick Harrison

Strength:

Great looks, Campy reputation, light, fast acceleration, sound great, strong.

Rear hub internals suspect

I bought these wheels on the recommendation of my LBS - he is a Campy purist and he got me them for a great price. Out of the box they look great and show all the marks of quality engineering. First ride was a non starter. Out of the driveway and up the road a little the drivetrain was skipping and clunking - I thought the shifting was off so I went home and checked, nope, not that. Tried again and it seemed that the freewheel was not engaging, more clunking skipping and strange noises. So back to the LBS they went. They test rode the bike and could not replecate the issue. The cause was put down to some sticky grease or something not letting the pawls engage and I was told to just ride the thing - if it went bad they were happy to warranty it. So, it still does it once in a while - maybe once a ride- after freewheeling for a short distance and never under high pedal pressure. The LBS guy actually bought a set of Campy wheels of similar quality for himself and said that he had experienced it too. After I have ridden them some more they are going to go in for a major service, I don't spend this kind of cash lighlty and I want these wheels to last.

On my first real ride some clutz in the paceline did not call out a deep hole and I hit it full on, the guy behind me too. He flatted but I was OK. Got home and discovered a dented rear rim. After a little swearing I got out a pair of smooth jawed adustable wrenches and got the rim bake into shape. LBS put the tiniest tweak into a spoke to put the wheel straight and all is well again. I feel a slight hop on breaking but that's it.

Easton Vista, Mavic Aksium, Mavic Open Pro

[Nov 28, 2011]
Josh Jardine

Strength:

Looks, build quality, very stiff

pricey to repair

Love em. I bought my set of 3's with 2 seasons on them. They look great and roll even better. I did pop a spoke on my second ride but I don't blame the wheel maybe just the previous rider. They get up to speed very well and maintain speed nicely. I expected top speed to increase but that wasn't the case...just got to the top speed in a shorter amount of time.
Very stiff, cannont flex them to rub my brakes like previous wheels used. I can't recommend them enough.

cole, xero

[Oct 19, 2011]
Pengu

Strength:

Looks, weight and hopefully more durable after the first month of use..!!

Poor reviews, spokes breaking and should possibly have a sign stating no fat riders (me included)and a max rider weight limit

I bought these wheels as an upgrade for some Campy Scirocco's which came with my Ribble. Whilst i'm not the lightest guy at 90+kg I do expect a certain degree of quality for my bucks. These have been raced on three times including a two day tour and three training rides and already they have had two visits to the bike shop. Within the first day I notice play on the rear freehub bearings. Took them back to be told the cassette was loose and that they'd tightened it up. To be honest it was still the same, so took it elsewhere to be told that the bearing was naff.
I guess my gripe wasn't so much that the wheels were defective out of the shop...but also the shops response.
Got back from a training ride 3.5 weeks after being sold them only to find one of the rear spokes and pulled and come loose making the rear wheel warped. To be fair to the shop they've just taken the rear to fix and have asked for the front to check too.
I'm all for keeping the local bike shop in business, but if they cannot check products before leaving the shop then I'd find it hard to pay the extra 200 bucks for the same product compared with the price online.
The wheels are an upgrade, they are good and lighter than my old wheels, they are a campy product labelled as Fulcrum, they are extremely fast and look the dogs when rolling.
I've scored them slightly low due to these teething probs, and will reassess aftera few more months of use.

Mavic Asky's, Campag scirocco's

[Sep 02, 2011]
Rich

Strength:

Look OK

Again, they are junk

These are absolute junk! First, the freehub failed. Now, two spokes on the rear have broken. Junk!

Many racing wheels over the years.