Hed Designs Bastogne wheelsets - clincher

Hed Designs Bastogne wheelsets - clincher

• Available in Silver or Black.
  • 27mm alloy rims with machined sidewalls
  • 18 bladed Ti spokes front
  • 24 bladed steel spokes rear
  • sonic hubs for Campy or Shimano.
  • Front Clincher - 586g
  • Rear Clincher -823g

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 24, 2017]
    Jarratt

Strength:

Light

Not durable, no customer support, huge amount of flex, hubs creak.

Yes these are light however... The rear rim cracked near the spoke entry point after 8 months of use. HED (Australia) would not replace the rim under warrantee. From new the hubs creaked needed new bearings and again HED offered no support. The wheels are not stiff (I weight 72kg) to the point of being scary to descend on. Overall a terrible product backed up by no support from HED.

I have several sets of HED wheels (3 spoke, disk, jet) due to a complete lack of customer support, I won't buy HED wheels again.

The Zipp 101 wheels I bought to replace these are better in all almost every way (except weight)

[Aug 08, 2012]
    Wolf Ranimal

Strength:

Bought these as what were probably returns or possibly extra team sponsorship swag from HED through an Amazon account they had set up for a while, now since defunct. Were about $450 and after looking them over closely and using them I can find nothing wrong with them. If they were used the braking surface and hub didn't show it. They had a much better type of HED QR than what I've seen others complain about and were packaged in a specially designed cardboard box. I did replace the skewers with a Ti set, just because. Have a set of stout OEM 32 spoke training wheels (Araya VX-400/Ultegra hub), Spinergy, and a custom built set (lighter than the training set, but not super noticeable). These are far, far and away lighter and the lightness is immediately noticeable in everything you do, particularly hills. I am 170 lbs and I don't notice any flex related issues and the wheels are still true and round after about 750 miles in SE PA (definitely not the smoothest of areas I've ridden)

If I had to pay any where close to MSRP, that would be a weakness. I'm cheap, ask my wife.

If you can find a used set in good verifiable condition at a reasonable price, the cost vs. excitement ratio is definitely worth it.

[Feb 28, 2011]
    Ricardo

Strength:

Lightweight

Poor quality lacking resilience

Poor product quality perfomance, Lightweight. Rear wheel creacked with a little more than 18 motnhs use, I am a lightweight rider coming in at about 70kg on a fat day, would expect more from a quality manufacturer.

[Dec 27, 2010]
    chinz

Strength:

light

Don't seem to be durable.

The HED Bastogne have been a disappointment. The rims of rear wheel cracked after about a year. After replacement, the new rim cracked again right where the spokes connect. I am about 80 kg - so may be I am too heavy, but good quality wheels should be able to handle this.

[Jul 27, 2010]
    D. May

Strength:

I like the smooth bearings and the lighter weight, plus they do not catch crosswinds.

Probably won't use these for all the weekly training rides; just for fast rides, Triathlons and climbing events, since they are considered light weight "racing wheels".

I have several hundreds of miles on my HED Bastogne wheels and I really like these wheels. The bearings are so smooth and they helped me climb mountains at the recent Triple By Pass in CO. I am moving towards the lower tire pressure (95-105 psi) slowly and my next set of tires will be 25mm on these wider rims. I have to ride with the brakes opened to allow for the wider rims - no big deal. No need to "wrestle" with these wheels like I do with my Flash Point FP60 deep dish wheels in cross winds. I recommend these wheels.

Most recent - Flash Point FP60

[Jul 03, 2008]
    zeebie

Strength:

Lightweight, Smooth, and Strong. Don't have to deal with tubulars for this weight.

Lightweight, rolls smooth as silk and unbelievably strong. I ride varied terrain around Los Angeles. Climbs and descents up to 13% and rough downtown roads. They respond quick and nimble and have remained true even after riding over some punishing roads. I hit a pot hole descending Mount Hollywood big enough to give me pinch flat and the wheels were fine. I upgraded from Mavic Aksuim which came standard with my road bike and immediately noticed an improvement in smoothness and handling. Weight savings has been a big bonus on the climbs. One of my decisions to purchase these was the weight to cost ratio. (1409 grams) They are the longtime supplier of wheels to the US Postal Team/Discovery Team.

Mavic Aksium