Hed Designs Jet 5 Express wheelsets - clincher

Jet 5 Express

HED Jet 5 Express Clincher Wheelset(0x88da1820)

Browsielover   Recreational Rider [Jun 12, 2013]
Strength:

Fast, Stable, Buttery Smooth

A bit heavy, I guess

I purchased a new C'Dale Supersix Evo High Mod this year and didn't like the stock wheels, but since I just got done dropping a ton of cash, didn't want to go the $2+k zipp/evne/etc route. I found the HEDs and just ordered them through my LBS without really knowing anything other than what I read on the HED website. My first impression was just how much they smooth out the ride. This was my first ride on a wider rim wheelset. Turning the pressure down (90 or 95) really smooths out the ride on cracked up pavement, and you simply don't loose any speed. After getting used to that, I was able to get a feel for how fast (aero) these are. It's obvious that HED has some advantage here. My other wheels (only 34mm profile) blew me all over the road on cross/head-cross winds. For some reason, the air stays stable over these wheels and the result is a very stable ride - even at higher speeds on downhills - still on cross winds. I will ride these as an every-day training wheel. I don't race much, but love to go fast and these fit the bill quite well. The weight penalty?? I'd say not much to worry about there! I don't live in an area where you need to drop to the small ring much, but when the road tilts up, I feel that I can carry speed so much better that I don't worry about the extra hundred grams or so. One other thing - they sound cool when they are spun up to speed. Someone in my group claimed "car-back" when it was just me coming up - pushing the pace. PS: I can't figure out how that other guy got them for $960. Could not find a deal that good!

OVERALL
Twain   Triathlete [May 09, 2013]
Strength:

Aerodynamics, very stable in cross winds, smooth ride, relatively low price, aluminum braking surface.

Weight

These are phenomenal wheels; probably the best all around wheelset for the money. The toroidal shape of the 54mm fairing is more than just hype; while these wheels feel very fast they are, at the same time, extremely stable in crosswinds. The wider rim also allows you to run lower tire pressure (Hed advises 90-95 psi) which results in a very smooth ride. I couldn't be more pleased; these wheels rock.