Lightweight Lightweight Standard wheelsets - tubular

Lightweight Standard

The spoked wheels are available in 28” (700C) or 26” (650C) versions. Three versions of the front wheel exist, 12 spokes, 16 spokes, and 20 spokes. The rear wheel always comes with 20 spokes. Rear hubs are either Shimano 9/10-speed, new Shimano 10-speed, or Campy 9/10-speed.

Scott   Recreational Rider [Feb 18, 2013]
Strength:

Cool factor, fashion statement. Climbing performance

Braking in long downhills.

Lightweight wheels are very light, hence the term Lightweight. There are probably no better set of climbing wheels available. They are quite sturdy for such a light weight wheel, which I attribute to excellent engineering. They are stunningly beautiful wheels that are guaranteed to make your ride look better. I have used various types of brake pads and currently have a set of yellow Swisstops that work fairly well. I had used the Bontrager cork pads that tend to overheat of I'm doing a long steep descent and need to brake very hard for a long period, like when descending the Madonna del Ghisallo above the town of Bellagio, Italy and other roads in the Dolomites. All brake pads will "howl" on descending on Lightweight Wheels, if I do not pump my brakes allowing for the brake surfaces to cool suficiently. This is an important skill to learn when riding these wheels and something that a Lightweight Wheel user must learn to do.

Similar Products Used: Zipp 404
biker58life   [Dec 16, 2012]
Strength:

craftsmanship, stiffness, smoothness, everything!

...I'm thinking...

At 185 pounds, I'm happy with my Shimano D/A C24 tubeless wheels. They are fast, fairly light, great stopping power and I loved the tubeless tires! Why should I change to anything else?

My friend GAVE me a set of Lightweight standard 3. What a nice guy! Brand new. "Just take them and use them."

I actually left the Lightweights sitting int he house for about a month because I wasn't too sure this is the way to go. BTW, I ride a Colnago C59, Di2 and C24.

Finally gave in and slapped some Vittoria's and went for a ride.

Wow! WOW! WOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!

The C59 with the C24 was a bit of a cruiser bike but witht he Standard 3, the whole thing changed. The C59 rode like the super bike it should have been from the start! Everything became focused, sharp and immediate. It was like an epiphany that can be bought.

I know they are pricey and not everyone can be so lucky as me but now, I have to get 2 more pairs for my other bikes!

suddenly, $5k a set is quite reasonable.

Edsel Falconer   Recreational Rider [Mar 05, 2011]
Strength:

Unbeatable performance from any brand, these are the best. They make Zipps look and feel average(which they are not)simply because these are so good

None really, once you get over the Tubular cringe.Although they are very stiff.

I have always loved the Lightweights, but Tubulars freaked me out too much, si i did not go for them. then on a ride I saw a set and they took my breath away. No gaudy decals or huge letters, they just looked like they meant business and I wanted a set.So I got the 12 spoke front and standard rear. Aaaaah from the first ride I was amazed at how great they were. I used to race and had light wheels for racing about 300 gms heavier, but these are like riding air, it's like "the wheels have left the building".
Awesome, i ride them everywhere now, with stans no tubes sealant, I commute train, and feel special wherever I go.

Similar Products Used: Zipp, Bontrager, Shimano, Reynolds.
Adam Lipson   Road Racer [Oct 12, 2010]
Strength:

Everything

Price

I was initially reluctant to purchase a $4,500 set of wheels. When I finally gave in, I expected these to be a tweek improvement.

The Lightweight Standard III's are incredible. I have a 2010 Pinarello Dogma 60.1 which had Fulcrum Racing Zero's. I upgraded to the Lightweight Standard III's. The difference is staggering. I am not an incredible rider, but nobody passes me any more and I pass everybody. It's like putting a motor on your bicycle. They are fast, steady around turns and ride smoothly. My uphill riding his improved dramatically and I've added 3 miles per hour to my down hill riding.

I intended to use the Fulcrum's as my training wheel, but I am so in love with the Lightweight Standard III's, that I will not take them off of my bicycle.

These wheels will lighten your wallet. However, even at $4,500, these wheels are worth every penny.

brown2349   Recreational Rider [Sep 09, 2007]
Strength:

tubulars! smooth, stiff and maintenance free; engineering quality; rolling resistance

tubulars (depends on how you feel about them)! pricy;

I have been building bikes and riding them for 20 years now, and these are the best wheels I have ever had. I am a heavier rider at 195 lbs, and was a little hesitant to go to a full carbon wheelset but these wheels are awesome. The DT 240 rear hub is solid but smooth, and the bearings like butter. No ceramics needed to be installed with these. They are stiff but super at absorbing road vibrations - even better than my Topolino C19's. This is even running with tubular tires (Conti Sprinters) inflated to 130 psi. Lightweight has no weight restriction on the Standard model, given their foam filled core. I purchased their Gen1 version. Supposedly their Gen2's are a little lighter and stiffer still, but I don't think I would notice any difference. I received an offer on the Gen1's I couldn't refuse....

They are a little tricky to control in strong crosswinds at slower speeds, but I would expect no more than any other high profile (50+mm) rim. You also have to be prepared to go to tubulars and the additional trouble of installation. I personally believe the road feel and rolling resistance is superior on tubulars. I think it boils down to personal preference here.

The craftsmanship is excellent and having the wheel magnet integrated in the rim is a great touch. They are true, true, true and, being effectively a one-piece wheelset, are reported to stay that way. I will follow up this report to validate this claim by the manufacturer at a later time.

Cost-wise, they are not for the faint of heart. Similar to buying a Rolex watch, it is hard to judge value, as unless you are in the market for one. To anyone not, the price seems unbelievable. However, if you are in the market for this type of wheel, they are comparable to Lews, Corima, Bora, and Zipps in this aspect. Given the engineering, lack of maintenance, ride quality, astetics, and uniqueness of the product, I believe they offer good value for the money.

One other tidbit. Not that I compare myself to the pros or amateurs, for that matter, but Lightweights have been used by many of the top pros (Ulrich, Armstrong, Zabel, and Cippolini to name 4). Given Lightweight does not sponsor any team (meaning the pros have to purchase like anyone else) nor invest in any real marketing (when you compare with the others listed), in my opinion, that says the product quality is speaking for itself.

I would highly recommend these wheels to anyone looking for a high profile carbon tubular wheel.

Similar Products Used: None really - there is no other similar product. Other wheels I have used: Ambrosio tubulars, Velocity Sparticus clinchers; Topolino C19 clinchers; DT Swiss 240/Mavic CX22 clinchers
scottrs   Recreational Rider [Jul 10, 2007]
Strength:

Light, fast, comfortable, strong and responsive.

None if you look at overall value.

Excellent power transfer, reasonable ride quality and light; what more can you ask from a wheelset. Expensive, but other brands are quickly catching up in terms of price. Handle crosswinds a lot better than I expected; I have ridden lots of aero wheels over the years and was a little concerned that these might be too tall but they do fine. I am a heavier rider, #185, so I am sure that helps. 750 miles and still as true as new.

Similar Products Used: Zipp, Neuvation, Velomax, Mavic
kestrel03   Road Racer [Feb 09, 2007]
Strength:

lite for a 52 mm wheel and areo. stiff!!! never have to true a wheel. never have to replace if you don't break em..

if you break one, which if you are able to do so, you most likely got hit by a train, no rebuilding them. they do have a discount for the next wheel, for a crash. and a good warranty for a break.

good lord these are the best things ever, you feel the power hitting the road with ever stroke, no loss of energy here, everything you put out, goes to the road. if there is anyway to afford a set of these, do it. can be used as cross wheels, so what am i going to do to them on the road?

Similar Products Used: none
carbony   Recreational Rider [Sep 04, 2006]
Strength:

weight, strength, looks, fantastic uphill and sprint performance due to zero lateral flex

no more easy riding - everyone seems to chase you to show that it takes more than great set of wheels to ride fast; bad surfaces wear you out due to zero suspension; poor aerodynamics compared to Zipp 404 or Easton Tempest II Carbon

I got a set of original Dierl & Obermayer with Campag Record rear and Tune MIG front hub baked. Some 70-80 gr. heavier than the later Carbonsports version with DT Swiss hubs but therefore adjustable and maintainable. You can understand the hype once you see and ride those wheels, incredibly light and laterally stiff like no other wheel I rode before. Hub casing and spokes look a bit rudimentary but is no sign of poor quality but of individual manufacturing.

Similar Products Used: Campag Eurus, Easton Tempest II Carbon
Max-Q   Road Racer [Nov 14, 2005]
Strength:

Rock solid with no flex at all, light and fast and beautiful.

Expensive!!! If damaged then the entire wheel is toast.

Wow! These wheels are spectacular. The build quality is first rate and they look stunning on either of my bikes. These are the stiffest wheels I have ever ridden and they are extremely light. Plus they just look so darn cool. I have the 20 spoke front and it is rock solid. They are way beyond Zipp 404s and Reynolds Stratus. These wheels are definately in a category all to themselves. It is hard to put a value rating on any cycling product. For most people the idea of a $2,500 bike is outrageous let alone a $2,500 set of wheels! But to each their own. I finally have what I consider the ultimate wheelset and I couldn't be happier. Starbikes was awesome to deal with and they had the best prices on Lightweight wheels anywhere in the world.

Similar Products Used: Zipp 404, Reynolds Stratus DV, LEW Palmeros.
ploglet   Road Racer [Jun 12, 2005]
Strength:

Very stiff, light and aerodynamic.

Cost.

These are very light wheels that roll very fast. I have the 12 spoke front wheel and it is an excellent time trial wheel. If you have ever ridden a light wheel you will know what the front end of the bike feels like with a light wheel. It is a little light but rolls so fast. These wheels are very stiff and all the power that you put to the pedal gets transfered to the ground. It takes very little effort to get the wheels rolling, this is the thing you notice most. There seems to be no loss of energy when trying to get the bike to move. Overall these are the best wheels I have ever ridden. They are a true notch above a Zipp 404 or a Mavic Carbone. Highly recommended.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Carbone and Zipp 404.