Mavic Aksium wheelsets - clincher

Aksium

Mavic Aksium Wheelset is efficient and reliable wheelset thanks to high-end features: ^140g lighter than the previous version ^QRM bearings, FTS-L freewheel, H2 spoke holes ^Straight pull spokes: stronger than J bent spokes. ^Weight: 1855 grams per p

Rich   [Aug 31, 2016]
Strength:

Hold up under riders over 200 pounds, have stayed true thru a season of road riding.

The freehubs suck.
I cannot remember a freehub setup with as much drag as the aksium. I had the LBS go thru the hub (tear down, clean ,relube, reinstall) with little success. The wheel itself spins fine. Engage the cassette/freehub and you'd think the rear brakes were lightly engaged.

These wheels came with the bike. As soon as I can, I'll be picking up replacements (either williams or ritchey classic zeta)as I run both these on other bikes and they spin fantastic.

Guernsey Kirk   [Jun 11, 2015]
Strength:

Look nice but rusty spokes

Rusty spokes

This set of wheels came with a new Cannondale Synapse 105. I have had the bike for about 15 months and for various reasons had very little use. The bike is always garaged and only been in the wet once, everything thing about the bike is still in showroom condition with the exception to the wheels. The spokes are now covered in a very slight surface rust which at the minute I'm able to wipe away with a little WD 40,this problem will only get worse as the spokes are starting to pit.
Poor quality wheels and on this basis would recommend people stear well clear of them.

Marcos Y   Recreational Rider [Feb 21, 2015]
Strength:

Nice breaking surface, "aero" spokes, very rigid.

Weight

This wheelset came as stock for my 2015 Cannondale Supersix. My intention was to use this heavy and tough wheels for training purposes, as it looked like bullet-proof. After 1,500 miles, or 2 months of use, I was surprised with a crack in the rear hub resulting in a loose spoke and no chance of repair. I did not expected this from a Mavic wheel, even an entry level - which is supposed to be durable. And it cracked with no reason - no crashes, no potholes, not even transported the bike in a rack - just plain and simple rides out of my door.

Bottom line: you get what you pay - heavy weight and low price does not mean durability.

Similar Products Used: Easton Circuit, Token C22
Mike   Road Racer [Oct 25, 2014]
Strength:

Fast, light, true. Dynamic.

None yet observed

I'm on my 2nd set of Aksiums, having damaged the first set beyond repair in a racing crash last year. This set is even faster than the first was. I'm using them on an older Cannondale frame, and they make the bike feel new. Why spend money on a whole new bike when, for just a few hundred bucks, you can get a similar 'new' feel merely by getting a new wheels et and new brake pads?

Dan McGuinness   [Sep 29, 2014]
Strength:

Before the spokes started popping off, they remained in true.

The connection between the nipple and the spoke rusted out, and the spokes started popping off.

I bought a Mavic Aksium Race wheelset from my local bike shop about six years ago. A few weeks ago the spokes on both wheels started popping off while I was riding. The problem is that the connection between the spoke and the nipple has rusted out. When my local bike shop called Mavic about the problem, their response was basically "too bad, not my problem."

The wheelset has less than 10,000 miles on it.

Now I need a new wheelset - and I will not be buying Mavic wheels.

Lombard   Recreational Rider [Apr 08, 2014]
Strength:

Light
Stiff
Bang for the buck

Noisy freewheel

Last fall, my LBS replaced my 4,000 mile old Bontrager Race rear wheel with this one because of cracks developing around the spoke eyelets of hte Bontrager wheel. So far, so good though only a few hundred miles so far. Weight is similar to the Bontrager Race wheel, stiffness seems a little better. My only complaint is that this one has a rather noisy freewheel - not as noisy as a DT Swiss, but noisier than a Shimano or Bontrager.

All in all a decent budget road rim at a good price point.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, Mavic, Bontrager, Weinman, Sun
Asser Poulsen   Road Racer [Feb 17, 2014]
Strength:

Durable bearings and freewheel. Good quality spokes and nipples. Stays true. Plenty of rim wall material.

Dangerous rear hub failure / design flaw - (2008 model) - unpredictable breakdown that cannot be repaired.

Rode 5000 km on a pair without any problems. Then suddenly without any signs of extensive wear or corrosion, one of the spoke attachments on the drive side of the rear hub cracked leaving the wheel unrideable and beyond repair. It happened when accelerating during a climb. It seems the flange is under-dimensioned and that the somewhat tapered spoke "head" (straight pull spokes) generates an outward force on the outermost flange that ends up splitting the flange from the hub (the metal fatigues).
I can accept gradual wear over time and a need for truing and maintenance, but the hub structure should be designed to be the strongest part of a wheel.
I weight 75 kg.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium Equipe, Fulcrum Racing 7, Campagnolo Khamsin.
paule11   [Jan 20, 2014]
Strength:

Strong stay pretty true handle my 111kg weight

ting ting noise from front wheel ended up spraying Lanotec heavy duty spray on nipples let it soak in got rid of noise they do flex a little

Great value

Steve Fangman   Road Racer [Nov 05, 2013]
Strength:

Affordable, Indestructible, Build Quality, Appearance

Heavy

Carbon wheels are not ALWAYS necessary. For example, I am 6-3 and in the 200lb range, and I can put out some power. My commutes to work are about 14 miles each way, and I try to ride 3-4 days per week. Carbon looks cool, but it is also REALLY expensive.

When I needed to get a new set of wheels, my favorite bike shop asked what I would be using them for. I told them about my commute, and what type of rider I was. Adrenalin Cycles in Littleton Colorado carries a number of brands, and the price ranges from inexpensive to the best money can buy. They recommended the Mavic Aksium set for my commuting bike. Since they were within my budget and came with their endorsement, I slapped a pair on. Here is what I have learned.

I have about 1000 miles on them, and have not had a single issue. My shop told me Mavic uses the same hub technology that they use in their high end wheels, so the hardware is proven by the most demanding cyclists. They are not the lightest wheels, which is fine with me. I am often lugging an extra 10lbs of laptop and other stuff, and I want a wheel I can rely on. I don’t have time for a mechanical delay in the morning. They spin up quickly, and I don’t notice much difference between these wheels and my other higher end wheels. The build quality is amazing, with nice graphics as well.

Overall, this is a solid wheelset and I recommend it for commuting and other touring.

Owen M   Road Racer [Sep 23, 2013]
Strength:

Superb value-have tested a few wheels around this price point and overall these are the best I've ridden.When looking to custom build,my criteria were value/performance,reliability without sacrificing speed and no 'holes' in my setup-these wheels seem to fit the bill perfectly.I'm reasonably fit and fast for my 185 lbs or so-though have no pretensions to being an elite level rider.If one has the ability or need to facilitate a 2nd 'training' bike then these would be ideal.If one is looking for one of the best performing value wheels out there for sportives,club runs etc then I'd heartily recommend these.Peer pressure can be a lot in cycling these days with 'club' level riders like myself often being persuaded that they need to spend 1000s just to keep up.Aksiums will do a job!They will roll forever,are strong,brake well,handle responsively and accelerate well-with little flex.What's more I live in hilly South Wales where the road surfaces are generally poor-with plenty of loose gravel,road furniture,ruts etc and they've required little maintenance.For their price they are fairly aero and lighter than most while being rigid yet a good ride.An added bonus is that they are one of the most readily available 'nearly new' wheelsets available on ebay-I paid £130 for mine (low mileage) and they have been faultless for the money.They also have sealed bearings which should be a benefit in terms of reliability.To top it off,my Aksium 'blacks' look good too!

None.Have read some commenting that they are heavy-for their price point they are most certainly not!They are not the lightest or most aero wheel available obviously but then we are talking of an entirely different market and price range!

They are what they are and for their cost in my view they are damn good!