Mavic Cosmic Carbone SSC wheelsets - tubular

Cosmic Carbone SSC

Weight: 1765 grams

• SUP aluminum alloy rim and unidirectional carbon segments.
  • Double eyelets.
  • Integrated free wheel hub with FTS system.
  • Adjustable, removable, sealed cartridge bearings. QRM.
  • M9 compatible free wheel.
  • Stainless steel flat spokes, brass nipples, 16 front spokes, 20 integrated rear spokes.
  • Radial front spokes, crossed 2 rear, on the free wheel side, radial on the opposite side.
  • Delivered with the Mavic composite quick release with high ratio closure, adjustment tool and rim tape.
  • For 19 - 23 m tires.
  • Tire pressure from 7 to 9.5 bars/100 to 140 PSI.

• User Reviews (18)

Pengu   Road Racer [Jan 22, 2012]
    Strength:

Strength, looks, manufacturer, easy rollers

Brilliant, light and strong and surprisingly sturdy. Barely any flex even when sprinting with a 90kg rider.
    Looks good too when rolling

Similar Products Used: none these were an upgrade from Fulcrum 3's which were totally rubbish
    lowracer   Recreational Rider [Feb 04, 2007]
    Strength:

Stiff and fast
    Compatible with Campagnolo and Shimano - nothing extra to buy.

A little noisier than the Open Pro
    Supplied valve extension leaves Presta cap open with no way to deflate the tube when using tubes with valve stems of less than 60mm

I purchased this wheel to replace the Mavic Open Pro on the rear of my Lightning P-38 SWB Recumbent.
    On my first ride on the wheel, I achieved a personal best time over my 'time trial' route. On subsequent rides I've noticed that I'm 'beating' hills that previously I'd bog down on. Some reviews have stated that the wheel is 'heavy' but it's 200 grams lighter than the Open Pro. There's no increase in vibration. My bike seems to accelerate more sharply and roll on easier.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pro
    cougarider   Road Racer [Jun 09, 2006]
    Strength:

spin up fast and stay there.

fairing needs to be taken care of to keep them looking sexy

great wheels. I have always loved mavic for their dependability and speed.

Similar Products Used: mavic carbone 2001, kysrium elites and ssc sl.
    basho   Road Racer [Oct 25, 2005]
    Strength:

bearings...smooth. ride...smooth. strong. excellent aero advantage at speed is noticeable. braking surface is metallic, so no braking problems.

climbing, they kind of suck, the weight is there. "carbon thermoplastic" is not carbon, its plastic, so they look cheap compared with space age genuine carbon tubies. Mavic will probably make some real ones soon...

first, support your local bike shop, I have been an ebay junkie, but its just not worth it..too risky, especially for carbon. And who will fix your bike when it is broken when they are out of business? buy new, or locally. this review is for clinchers. These wheels are not carbon, they have a carbon looking plastic wind-cheating insert. Up close, they look just ok. Compared to reynolds wheels, they look like toys. These wheels are pretty nice. The bearings are smooth as anything, or smoother, and at high speed they spin up really nicely, and retain momentum very well. The ride is very smooth. you will feel fast, they are very fast at speed, great race wheels on the flats. But, well, they are still heavy, and you can certainly feel it climbing. they are probably a little stiffer than the reynolds, but its close. I felt there was considerably more effort required than on my stratus dv's to get them up hills, no question, and the reynolds are just as fast overall, I think. but they weigh 500 grams less, so its not surprising. Of course, the mavics take clinchers which are easier (I own the tubie reynolds). So a mixed review. IF you have never ridden a reynolds or lew or equivalent wheelset, these will feel like the best things ever, and they seem pretty tough, probably more durable. IF you are someplace flat, they probably are the best things ever. But, well, its not flat here....so I sold them. But they were pretty nice for certain purposes. if I lived in florida....

Similar Products Used: reynolds stratus dv, ksyrium ssc sl, campy nucleon, zipp 404, lew atlantas, mavic cosmics, bontrager race x-lites, hugi, phil wood, king, record built up wheels,
    dosgauchos   Road Racer [Mar 19, 2005]
    Strength:

Strong. Stiff. Fast. Bulletproof. I weigh 185 on a good day and these wheels rock! Great for time trials, rolling road races, and crits. Could easily be used as everyday wheels. Look at pictures of European Peletons and there a ton of guys riding these wheels. Cipo, Petacchi, Bartoli, Lance on the cover of Sports Illustrated.

Weight, if your looking for a pure climbing wheel

I have always lusted after this wheelset but I found the price a bit high until Mavic changed the wheelset in 2005. Suddenly the price of the 2002-2004 models dropped. I like to race on clinchers because flats are a lot easier to repair than tubulars. I have a race bike through a sponsor that never really excited me to ride it. That was until I started racing it with the Carbones. These wheels are fast fast fast and they look awesome! Yes they are a little heavier than most race wheels but they roll fast and I find them perfect for the local criterium scene. I have ridden many wheelsets and this is my favorite wheelset for races that I have ever owned.

Similar Products Used: Reynolds Stratus DV tubular, Ksyrium SSC Clincher, Campy Eurus and Neutron, Rolf Vigor.
    Janstheman   Recreational Rider [Feb 06, 2005]
    Strength:

Roll fast, sound great when hammering out of the saddle, look super with green/blue Michelin Pro Race tires

heavy, flimsy thermoplastic cover seems like it would crack easily

Bought the Cosmic Carbones on a whim because I wanted a flash race wheel for hammering when I felt like it. Had seen wheels before, but when I pulled them out of the box, it was a let down to say the least. The were heavy and the 'thermoplastic' rim shell was flimsy to say the least. Anyway, got on with it and rode them and was blown away. The sounded wicked at speed and rolled 3km faster than my Ksyriums. Plus they looked the business on my bike. Anyhoo, I rode them for a while and then unloaded them because I was afraid of cracking the plastic faring over the rim. I do miss them, but they made me too nervous...

Similar Products Used: Ksyriums, Bontrager Carbon X-lites (wicked), Rolf Prima Vigor, etc.
    festinam4   Road Racer [Mar 22, 2004]
    Strength:

Solid quality and feel. The best and most durable bearings. I have put 8,000 miles on these in the year that I have had them and they still spin perfectly smooth and true. I can't say that for many other wheels. I swear that these make me almost 1mph faster on flat surfaces. Many people have had problems with the plastic rimstrip, but I love it. I only run a max of 140 psi. I think that many people who have had problems with the rim strip run higher psi. Unlike other deep-section wheels, I love riding these in the mountains. I use my Ksyrium SL in front and the Carbone in back. My friends and fellow racing buddies used to think I was crazy using such a heavy rear wheel. That was..... until I dropped most of them in training rides. Not just once, but almost every time.

On paper these wheels are heavy! On the road you would never know, and that's what counts. The front wheel is prone to crosswinds. Almost as bad as my Rev-X Team wheels. Those were scarry and dangerous. The Carbone front is much more manageable, but still... If I am expecting anything more than 10mph winds I use a Cosmic Equipe front wheel. Don't bother with the Cosmic Elites. I have tried them and they are terrible. The Cosmic Equipe is more expensive, but a much better front wheel. Better hubs and bearings. They cost $600 for the wheelset and $280 for the front which is twice the price of the Elites, but is well worth it. They are thoroughly raceable unlike the Elites. You can buy the front wheel through www.bicyclebuys.com. Best of all the red/yellow 'Cosmic' decals and black rim/spokes match the Carbone's perfectly.

I have bought over 20 wheelsets in the last 7 years and these are my favorites. I have tried everything from Zipp 909's & 404's, Spinergy Rev-X Team(2001) & Tillium Carbon's, Mavic Ksyrium SSC SL's & Cosmic Elites, And on and on. I have had lighter wheelsets and some that cost twice as much, but when it comes down to it and I have to choose one wheelset to race. It has got to be the Mavic Cosmic Carbone. They feel so solid and on everything except in the mountains these feel the best and I have posted my fastest TT times with these. Unlike other aero wheels the spokes are attached to the aluminum rim underneath the thermoplastic rim extension or fairing. This makes them much more durable. My Spinergy Rev-X Team and Tillium carbon wheels both failed. The carbon pulled right off the aluminum rim. Both times I was using them on long decents where the brakes overheated the rims causing them to fail. With the Rev-X one quarter of the right side on the front wheel split off and hit the front fork causing me to endo. Luckily it was while I was slowing down and I didn't have any serious injury. Just a few bruises and bumps. Spinergy didn't live up to the warranty and would only give me a 'discount' if I bought a new wheelset from them. I should have sued them, but that is another issue. No problems with the Carbones. I was hesitant with them, but they survived trips through Mt St. Helens and Mt Rainier.

Similar Products Used: Everything under the sun..... Except for those ADA Carbons. Ooooooh!
    stevesklar   Road Racer [May 12, 2003]
    Strength:

Can swap freehub for Campy or Shimano. Bearings are the best. Rim is nice and aero. Easy maintenance. The most durable and highest quality deep dish wheelset available. Cross-winds are better than other wheelsets The Look of them on any bike (yellow/red stickers on Black).

Weight in comparison to others in category. Be careful of heavy crosswinds with any deep rim wheelset. Original Retail price is high (but aren't all good wheelsets expensive nowadays).

I've used these in the past and have come back to them. I tried to find a better, lighter wheelset. Others get lighter but not better. A Great wheelset: smooth, comparably light, highest quality and looks awesome. I'm a light rider (140). I've used HEDs (hub, junk bearings & rim problems), Spinergy (hub prb), ZIPPs (great hubs but afraid of tubular rims cracking in heat buildups or clincher rim delamination on long mountain roads), etc. The only other wheelset I would use are Campy Bora (too much $$$) The SSC level bearings are super smooth and spin forever. The rims are aluminum with the carbonthermoplatic (not carbon fiber) fairing. Aero metal spokes go through drilled holes in the ctp fairing so if you ride in the rain prepare for water buildup. Truing the wheels is a snap though you have to remove the tire/rim strip. But don't try truing them if you don't know how. Overall a fantastic wheelset. Not as bad in the wind as Rev-X but you still have to be aware of it's windy handling characteristics. Mavic Carbones are probably the most durable deep rim wheelset available which is a tradeoff for the weight on comparison to others.

Similar Products Used: Campy Bora; HED Alps, Jet2000; Spinergy Revx; ZIPP 303/404 tub & clincher; others.
    Mick Smith   Road Racer [Nov 19, 2002]
    Strength:

- really smooth - fast - look great

none to date!

Great wheels!! A little heavier than my other bontragers yet smoother. The deep rims take a bit of getting use to in the strong cross winds yet once you adapt, you dont even notice them. A perfect ride! look orgasmic too.