Mavic Cosmic Elite wheelsets - clincher

Cosmic Elite

Cosmic Elite has been designed for high speed addicts. High elliptical flanges coupled with high efficiency hub and bearings quality...

jeff severson   [Sep 26, 2016]
Strength:

good wheels for the price

none yet

i broke one spoke and bent another when my chain jumped into spokes. my fault for the bad shift. My complaint is with the customer service. They would not sell or give me a new spoke without me sending in my wheelset at my own cost. i am happy to buy the spokes but they said that they we not able to bill me for a few spoke. my lbs could not order because mavic would not work with them unless they placed a big order. just frustrating

conipto   Road Racer [Mar 24, 2009]
Strength:

For what they are, they are a good value. Tough, reliable, didn't need truing all winter, stainless spokes seem to handle chicago winter well.

Braking surface wore out quicker than i'd expected, though with sandy salty conditions, not too much of a surprise. A bit heavy, but as I mentioned above, these aren't race wheels.

Bought these for my commuter road bike. They were used, but looked brand new. They took a chicago winter better than anything I've tried in the last few years, and I haven't seen too much negative from the salt that I typically do. a bit heavy, but these aren't climbing or racing wheels, so that should be expected.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium Elite, HED Alps, Performance Forte Titan
aaron   Road Racer [Jun 20, 2008]
Strength:

seem to keep a decent momentum. Bladed spokes are good, but a few did need tuning when initially taken out of their packaging; but i haven't had the problem since.

Weight - i am a light rider, and these wheels do feel very heavy when doing steep climbs.

I bought these wheels because i wanted a decent solid set of training wheels that wouldn't be to expensive. They do their job fine, but i am planing on eventually buying some American Classic Carbon 58 tubular wheels for racing in a few years time.

Similar Products Used: Mavic MA40s with Campagnolo record hubs (old school)
sleuthdesigner   Road Racer [Jun 07, 2008]
Strength:

Fast hubs, good handling, look as good as my junk.

just a little heavy but why dont you cry about it.

I like them. I did notice that they were heavier the first time I rode them but then once I was used to them i can out run the best of them. I had a noticeable increase of speed since the second day I used them. By about 3 mph.
Im rocking about 23 mph consistent on flats and 18 on 4% up hill with them. Ya i live in Florida and there really isnt any long hills but we just lap the ones we have.

slcbiker   Triathlete [Mar 06, 2008]
Strength:

Stiff, fairly aero, and fast rolling. They look really good too.

Heavy. Spokes turn until the wheel is properly set up (take it to the LBS).

I bought these to relplace another 30mm profile, bladed spoke wheel. They are heavier than my last wheel, but the performance is much better. They are heavy on the climbs, but on flats are able to hold their speed very well, even in a stiff headwind. They also seem to accelerate very well for their weight. The current trend in high-end wheels (see the Cosmic Carbone) is to sacrifice some weight for performance. This wheel does that a little too much, but it is still very fast for the purposes it was built for. I did have spokes turn, but proper tension has lessened that. overall, i've been very happy. Oh, and they are stiff and go down twisty decents very well.

Similar Products Used: Vuelta XRP, Pro Lite Luciano (don't ever buy those)
BG   Triathlete [Oct 31, 2007]
Strength:

Bullet-proof, stay true.

weight. when climbing you really feel it

Bought complete bike with these on. Seem to be a very strong wheel; however rather heavy.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Askims, A Class 220ALX
chris   Recreational Rider [Oct 05, 2006]
Strength:

Sealed bearings, aero shape & spokes

heavy

I bought these rather impulsively, then read these reviews. I am pleased to report that they are still in one piece and performing wonderfully, which sort of surprises me after reading these scathing reviews. I weigh around 190 and have put about 700 miles on them. I immediately noticed that I was able to ride further and faster than before- maybe I just want to believe that I made a wise investment, but the bike computer doesn't lie. Initially, the spokes weren't tentioned correctly, and started to turn. I had the LBS correct this, and put some loc-tite on the spokes. No further action was required.

Similar Products Used: CVP-21's w/ crappy 105 hubs
runningfoo   Triathlete [Aug 13, 2006]
Strength:

The wheels seem very sturdy and stiff. They have taken some pretty good potholes with no problems. I weigh right around 200# and have had no problems whatsoever with the durability so far.

The wheels also have decent aerodynamic capabilities. They hold speed pretty easy across the flats.

HEAVY!!! They weigh close to 2 kilos. That's a lot for any type of wheel. These are definitely not climbing wheels.

As others have stated, the spokes are not anchored into place and can turn.

The list price is a little more than I would expect to pay for wheels that weigh this much.

I bought these wheels used at a great price and put them on my triathlon (TT) bike for training. I've put about 500 miles on them, mostly on time trial type of rides, but also on some climbs and commutes to work.

When I received the wheels, several spokes were turned, as others have mentioned. I believe this happened when the wheels were trued, because I straighened them and haven't had them go back. This seems like a minor issue to me. I would think that as long as the spokes are properly tensioned, it shouldn't be much of a problem.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race Lites, Corima Aero Carbon, HED Stinger, Shimano RH550
t-bill   Recreational Rider [Mar 19, 2004]
Strength:

Smooth rolling

kinda heavy, and only somewhat aero.

These wheels were nice while they lasted, but that wasn't long. The plastic dust cap on the rear wheel started to loosen during a ride. I couldn't tighten it very well because you need a spanner wrench to do so. The dust cap got too loose, the cartridge bearings loosened, and subsequently shredded. Good think I had my cell phone with me, because (of course) I was out in the country 15 miles from home. I understand that things happen with equipment sometimes, however... this certain something could not be fixed by anyone but Mavic. In order to put a new cartridge in, the hub has to be taken apart with a special wrench that no bike shop has. Don't buy 'em - it's not worth the trouble!

Similar Products Used: Mavic OP's, now have American Classic CR420's - I love them.
malcomm   Road Racer [Jan 25, 2004]
Strength:

Its all been said before...

My only problem with these wheels is that the rims fill up with water during rain. You have to strip the wheel down and dry it all out after the ride

Love the wheels, would buy them again.