Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelsets - clincher

Ksyrium Elite

The Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheelset features some of the most high end Mavic technologies, so far reserved to top of the line models: Fore drilling, ISM, Isopulse... All this to make sure you can enjoy the most responsive rides. New consistant Ksyrium family

andy mcgarry   Recreational Rider [Apr 26, 2017]
Strength:

nice looking wheel + good reviews

very weak rims. poor value for the price.

Having had Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels on my new bike for just 12 months the rim on the back wheel separated causing the tyre to come off causing me a big problem as I was riding a long ride (coast to coast) after wheeling it 2 mile to the nearest bike shop in Oakham I was forced to pay £249.00 for an inferior wheel . Despite the good reviews I don't rate Mavic Ksyrium Elite wheels at all they are very over rated and overpriced for the so called quality

CBM   [Sep 21, 2015]
Strength:

Fairly light, very strong, and unbreakable wheelset.

My circa 2003 Mavic Ksyrium Elites came on my 2003 Specialized SWorks E5. That frame was history after 21,500 miles, but the wheels live on. I am 6'2, 210lbs and ride with purpose. They never needed truing until they passed 24,000 miles, and then only the rear. Rolling on the 3rd set of bearings. After three years doing full time commuter duty here in rainy Seattle on worn-out roads, I will sadly have to retire these soon. The rear wheel braking surface is alarmingly dished and its spokes have loosened to the point where they can no longer be re tensioned. Even at that, they STILL function well. But hey, after 28,000 miles, these Ksyrium Elites don't owe me a penny. Looking to replace them with a new set of Elites.. I hope the 2016 model can hold up as well!!

Vaughn   Recreational Rider [Sep 20, 2015]
Strength:

Nice all arounders. Used to be durable, however....

Spokes break too frequently, rims crack!!

Have ridden Ksyrium Elites for years, maybe 15,000 miles. Latest pair has two rim cracks at the nipple after 2000 gentle miles. Out of warranty, so they're toast. I can't tolerate disposable wheels. For me and Mavic, I'm done. Will never buy another set. These wheels should have lasted years!!

Similar Products Used: Ksyrium SLs
Jim Pratt   [Jun 16, 2015]
Strength:

Nice light wheels at reasonable price.

No braking when wet. Very scary!

If you always ride dry they are great. Descending wet they may kill you!

peter   [Jul 29, 2014]
Strength:

Great wheels, while they last.

Rims crack and break after a period of time.

I have had six sets of these wheels: two I sold off, one still working (purchased last year) and three rear wheels crack. In baseball you get three strikes and you are out. These wheels ride really well when they are working but I am done investing in a short term product. I am 6,1 180lbs and ride with finesse, I don't put undue stress on my equipment. I will never buy these wheels again due to their short lifespan.

Rodger Gentry   [Nov 18, 2013]
Strength:

They look good, that's all.

I have had my mavic Ksyrium Elits wheels for 1 year 4months, and I have broken 4 spokes, I sent them back to the manufacturer and had them re-spoke and got them back 1 month later broke again. The company that are making them are not very friendly to work with, very complicated to deal with, and I would not suggest buying these wheels if you are an dedicated bike rider as myself.

I would not suggesting buying or wasting hard earned money on them.

Mike Curro   [Aug 25, 2013]
Strength:

Nice Ride

They do not hold up.

I have broken 3 rear Mavic Ksyrium Elite. I ride about 250 miles a week, mostly flats. The first one lasted 13 months. The second one was an MP3 Insurance replacement (that took 4 months!). It lasted 12 months. The third I purchased new (again). It lasted 5 months. They are a great (expensive) ride. For me, they just do not hold up well. I am 6 foot 185. I will never buy them again.

bluegrassblazer   [Jun 15, 2013]
Strength:

Solid strength, roll well, look good

none that I can find

Came with my Gran Premio and I love them. I'm between 190-200 lbs so I was worried that they were too light for me but I've hit some big potholes that rattled my teeth and they didn't flinch.
They roll well and climb well and deserve a much better rider.
No issues yet. at 1600 miles. No cracks or issues and they look like new. Scraped a curb so there's some rash but that's not the rim's fault. A buddy trued them at around 500 miles but I imagine they shipped that way because they're straight as can be since.
I have some CXP11 rims from an old bike and they've never been trued and still ride great...heavy but great. I like Mavic and if these wheels ever wear out I'll get another set.

Goose   [Jun 12, 2013]
Strength:

Light, strong, and stay true.

Rim cracks at the nipples

Being a large rider (245 lbs), these were recommended as good solid bomb proof wheels. Bought a set of these wheels in 9/2010 and loved them. I average about 2000 mi a year with may hills in my area. I really liked these wheels for climbing as they were light and spun up easy and never had to true them. 7/2011 had to take rear wheel back to LBS due to rim crack at one of the nipples. Wheel was replaced under warranty, but took several weeks as I received the new wheel 8/2011. 6/2013, found another crack on one of the nipples. Need to take to LBS to see if they will still cover it. Hope they will still cover. If not, might be time to find something new.

Tom   Recreational Rider [May 05, 2013]
Strength:

Lightish, roll forever and look fantastic.

Cracking at the nipples. I have cracked two rear wheels. Slow customer service.

I am a Clydesdale. I original had some cheepo Alex rims that came with my Merida, the rear wheel lasted approx 12 month before almost all of the spokes on the rear (32spoke) began to crack. After researching what wheels would be suitable, I came across Mavic Ksyrium Elites at a decent price. I got these as some of the "Heavy Rider" websites recommended them. After 9 months of riding (1500kms) the rear began to show cracking around the nipples. My LBS sent them back for Warranty. 6 weeks later I had a new read rim, however 6 months later I have the same issue with the rear wheel. I am now waiting to see what Mavic are going to do about it.
When they were good they were very good, in fact I loved them! But for me, I will not buy Mavic again.