Mavic Ksyrium ES wheelsets - clincher

Mavic Ksyrium ES wheelsets - clincher

WEIGHT

• 700 clincher: front 645 g, rear 840 g (ED10)
  • 700 tubular: front 630 g, rear 840 g (ED10)
    RIMS
  • Lightweight: ISM
  • Valve: valve hole Ø: 6.5 mm
    SPOKES
  • Material: Zicral
  • Type: straight pull, profiled, black
  • Nipples: M7 aluminum with locking rings
  • Count: front 18, rear 20
  • Lacing pattern: front radial, rear Isopulse lacing concept
    HUBS
  • Front body: carbon, oversize + aluminum walls,
  • rear body: oversize, aluminum alloy, red Front axle: aluminum, rear: aluminum and titanium
  • Bearing: QRM+
  • Free wheel system: FTS-L

• USER REVIEWS

[Jul 29, 2016]
    Zachariah

Strength:

~ Light and stiff
    ~ Fast spin-up

~ FTS-X hub requires frequent service
    ~ Rear spoke nipple rips rim/spoke bed apart
    ~ Rear rim replacement price = junked wheels

Went from 2006 Mavic Ksyrium SSC/SL3 to these and what a step back that was! Good thing I kept the SSC/SL3s because I now have one perfect front wheel....and spokes with hub for what is left of the rear. Mavic had to up the ante with the SL3 successor wheelset, but shaved weight off the absolute WORST place ever....the spoke bed!

If you gotta have Mavic - go with Cosmic Carbone. Or, just buy a custom-laced wheel. Mavic - you're Anniversary Edition wheelset is one resounding FAILURE.

~ Reynolds Solitude
    ~ Real Design Supersphere
    ~

[Mar 03, 2014]
    Mando

Strength:

Stand up to everyday abuse. Stiff, comfortable. Really strong and reliable

not wide or aero like the new stuff.

I bought these new to the tune of $1200 to support my buddy who started his own bike shop. During a group ride I tried to bunny hop road construction and hit the corner of the pavement in the absolute worst way possible. I was 230lb at the time and the impact should have taco'ed the back wheel. The wheel went out of round, but it was small enough to where I didn't feel it. I ended up finishing the ride without a problem. My bike store owner buddy tried to true it as best as he could, but it is still a teeny bit out of round.. again.. i can't feel it... still riding it as is.

I think at this point it would be the same cost to buy a replacement as getting it rebuilt... but aaah... maybe I"ll just keep riding it the way it is.

[May 06, 2013]
    Captain Insano

Strength:

Light, strong, very good looking

Old (went out of production in 2007)

About a year ago, my derailleur hanger suddenly snapped, causing the rear derailleur to take out my Easton rear wheel in a low speed crash. Since the Easton wheel was relatively old, I couldn't find a replacement, and I had to look for a replacement wheelset. I've always liked the look of the Ksyrium ES's, so after a quick scan of Craigslist and eBay, I bought a set for $400 from some guy in Santa Monica.

I've got nothing but praises for this wheelset. I'm 210 lbs, ride on sometimes crappy roads, and this is a six year old wheelset, but I've seen none of the stress fractures or other damage reported by other reviewers. I recently had the hubs serviced by my LBS, and they said the wheels still have plenty of life on them. The mechanic actually offered to buy them from me, if I was willing to sell, but I'm going to hang on to these for as long as they work. I've never had to have then trued, so they're pretty tough, too.

The sidewall stickers are a little busy for my taste, so I took them off with some nail polish remover and elbow grease. The red hub paint is little faded, and the spokes show some scratches, but overall these wheels still look great.

Overall, a great replacement wheelset for an affordable price.

[Feb 17, 2011]
    tbmincey

Strength:

Stiff, stiff, stiff. Fly looking. Light enough.

None if you know what they are before you buy. They are not TT wheels or climbing wheels for sprites.

The rear wheel developed some cracks around the spoke nipples because I hit a pot hole so hard it rattled my brain and cause my bars to drop! Mavic sent me a new wheel at cost $175. No bearing issues. No complaints.

[Nov 04, 2009]
    iploya

Strength:

Good looks - red hub, red spoke as accent.

Plagued with long-term reliability issues. Best kept for race day, not daily training.

This is kinda moot since the ES series rim was discontinued in 2007, except that the newer SL Premiums appear to have many of the same design characteristics. I purchased these as upgrades to Ksyrium Elites that came on my Scott Addict. They look great, but suffered from two reliability issues - paint and fatigue life. First, the red hub started peeling from the hub. I was told this was caused by solvents, but I use the same cycling-specific cleaners/lubes on the rest of my bike and this is the only part that had issues. Strikes me as more of a defect. The second, and bigger issue was that the rim failed after probably less than two years of use. A spoke broke unexpectedly, and was unrepairable due to a long crack at the spoke eyelet. I realize there is a tradeoff between light weight and durability, and that aluminum parts don't last forever, but I've not had these issues with other rims and wheelsets in the past.

Ksyrium Elite

[Oct 31, 2009]
    bh3bh3bh3

Strength:

Lots of good deals on eBay.

Durability, Stiffness, Weight and THEY LOOK GOOD!!

$$$$

I have read a significant number of reviews about these wheels, many that knocked them for reliability. However, at over 200lbs, knocking down 80-100 miles/week, I have nothing but good things to say about these wheels. I have two sets of these wheels on two bikes. I got my first set with a new bike and then got the second on eBay because I liked them so much. I usually ride local roads, so they have seen their share of pot holes and other road obstacles. Over the past years, I have replaced one spoke (on the front wheel, not the rear!) and had one wheel trued. Maybe I should have expected more, but every time I exit a pot hole, continuing to roll straight and true, I gain confidence in the Mavic brand.

Bontrager, Campanoglo, Rolf

[Aug 30, 2009]
    rap1962

Strength:

smooth rolling, durable, light weight, lateral stiffness

spokes are proprietary and expensive, but you will likely never have to replace them. Not cheap

I have read a lot of reviews complaining about durability reliability of these wheels. I am not sure what the issue is but I do know that there is a weight limit on these wheels. They are very light and not intended for heavier riders. I have 20,000+ miles on mine and after three years I have not so much as adjusted the hub preload or adjusted a single spoke. The bearings are still going strong and spin as smooth today as they did on my first ride. I have 7 bikes and they all have Mavic Ksyriums. I have one ES and the rest of the them are the SLs. Of the seven sets of wheels, I have never had a spoke break and have only one rear wheel go out of true (I think it was due to poor baggage handling when I traveled with my bike.) I have only had to replace the bearing in one wheels set. Mavic Ksyriums are truly high quality wheels and when properly cared for will give years of trouble free service. I have seven sets of these wheels with over 100K miles total so I do speak from experience.

Rolf Prima, Easton EA90 SLX

[Jul 18, 2009]
    kbg32

Strength:

Smooth and strong.

Bearing load. Constantly adjusting the bearings due to them becoming loose and bearing inside freehub wearing too quickly.

I have had these wheels for two years. An upgrade to my original Mavic Ksyriums. I have had bearing problems since they were about three months old. The front wheel bearings need tightening every 100-150 miles, which means almost every week for me in season. I have had the rear freehub replaced mid-ride due to eractic shifting, because the innermost bearing inside the freehub went, causing too much movement in the freehub body. I am about to bring the wheels in again for bearing adjustment and possible freehub replacement yet again.

Original Mavic Ksyriums, DT Swiss 240s.

[Jul 06, 2009]
    Todd

Strength:

Solid. Look Great. Fast roll.

Wish they were less expensive.

I have had these wheels for over a year. I bought them on EBay as new take-offs. I have had no problems with them whatsoever. I also own two sets of SSC SLs - very similar. I love Mavic wheels and can endorse them. I do not abuse my wheels, I slow down crossing RR tracks and avoid potholes. I always inspect and adjust the bearings before each ride as well as the tires. I have hit a few holes that could not be avoided and the wheels remain true, no spokes broken etc. The ES's never fail to get compliments for the look.

Bontragers, Shimano, Cane Creeks.

[Jun 15, 2009]
    Buck Satan

Strength:

Light, remain true, extremely sexy.

Rear rim breakage.

I have had these a little over 3 years, but have only ridden them in the summer, and never in rain. I want to like these wheels, but continuing reliability issues with the rear rim are trying my patience. Yesterday I discovered that the rim is cracked at multiple eyelets after only several months (and not that many miles) of use. This is the second time this has happened, after the wheel was replaced my Mavic under warranty the first time. I can't complain about their service so far, but we will see what happens this time.

Ksryium Elite, numerous handbuilts (20+ years of wheels),with no issues.