Mavic Open Pro wheelsets - clincher

Open Pro

Shimano Ultegra 6700 hubs built on 32H Mavic Open Pro Rims using 14/15 gauge DB spokes with...

carmic0   Recreational Rider [Dec 26, 2015]
Strength:

Strength. Looks. Mavic quality. Got these rims to replace some old Campys which were great but had brake wear. Campagnolo Record hubs laced with DT competition spokes are almost unbreakable. Five years of use and never out of true. When and if they wear out I will replace with the same. I am 88KG and need strong wheels. They are used on my 1999 Fondriest Spur and look appropriate for the age of the frame. On a ultra light and modern Carbon frame they look great but would be excellent winter or training wheels.

Weight but adds to the strength.

Great rims

Craig   [Nov 25, 2015]

Many

These are the worst wheels I've owned. After every ride (30 miles) there are loose spokes and the wheel must be trued. Can't wait to replace these.

Peter Tramel   Recreational Rider [Sep 19, 2015]
Strength:

Sturdy, durable, smooth riding. They have a slight springiness that absorbs shocks well on bad road surfaces. Box-style rims minimize side-wind resistance.

A bit heavier and not as stiff as some other wheels around this price point. I am sometimes bothered by the lack of stiffness taking off and on tough climbs.

These are great all-rounders. In this 32-spoke configuration with the reliable, serviceable Ultegra hubs, they are a great wheelset for heavy roadies like me who ride distance / endurance. They would be a great training wheelset for anyone. This has been my main road wheelset for four years, +6K miles. During all that time I have weighed over 200 Ibs, usually around 215Ibs as now, and I have been on a lot of rough roads, urban and rural. Yet in all that time, all I have had to do to these was true and re-dish the rear wheel once, and that was after three years. I have never broken a spoke on these and I have never replaced the bearings in the hubs. We recently moved to the Great Plains where winds are usually very strong and can gust up from multiple directions. A box rim like this is especially good for this kind of environment because it cuts down on side wind resistance. Even with these low-profile rims I have been literally blown off the road here a couple of times.