Mercury Bicycle Company S-9 Carbon wheelsets - tubular

S-9 Carbon

Need something special for race day? The Mercury S-9 carbon wheelset will give you the ultimate advantage over your competition in a time trial, triathlon or road race. The S-9’s are incredibly deep at 86mm. Wheels this deep have traditionally been reserved for dedicated TT riding. We’ve found a new niche for these: road racing. Don’t believe us? Ask Frankie Andreu and the Kenda Pro Cycling p/b GREARGRINDER team. The S-9‘s weigh 1525g and are available for clincher or tubular tires.

QRoo Teq & Mercs   Triathlete [Sep 29, 2011]
Strength:

quite light (though not as light as other wheels), looks awesome, sound awesome. One race was on very awful roads that made me cringe but the wheels held up great and remained true. Rare!- you won't find anyone else at the races with these; can't say that about HEDs or Zipps! Didn't do a ton of pricing out new wheelsets, but Mercury does seem to price competitively.

as my first deep dish wheels, they definitely catch the wind. But that seems to be expected for any wheel with a rim depth this large.

My first lightweight, deepdish, or carbon wheelset. Very impressed. Want to support Mercury by buying more products from them as they are a built-in-the-US company.
I have the S9 clinchers that was a special build so it has the White Industries hubs instead of the in-house hubs. The red graphics scream, and that along with my red/black Tequilo, I get lots of looks whether the bike is at the tri transition area or on the trunk rack of my car.

Similar Products Used: none!
jimstemper   Road Racer [Nov 15, 2010]
Strength:

Durable
Very solid in corners
Fast out in the wind

Do not take into cross wind... but that really goes without saying with deep wheels.

The greatest part about the Mercury deep carbon tubular is that I used the same set for every single crit this year, and never had a single issue. The year before I had the comparable Reynolds carbon tuubulars and I thought they were great but they seemed to need a lot of encouraging. I did Tour of Americas Dairyland and Superweek straight up with one set of wheels. Bomb proof. Super stable cornering. And I am a breakaway rider that made a lot of breakaways in those series, as well as Elk Grove and Charlotte, with those wheels. I had a very worry free and fast 2010 when it came to the Mercury wheels.

Similar Products Used: Reynolds SDV66T Tubular
Deano_tri   Triathlete [Nov 03, 2010]
Strength:

Breaking surface is very nice and the wheel is well built with great components, including a smooth-running hub and minimalist skewer. The wheel is predictable, solid, and very fast.

This is a time-trial wheel. Mercury makes better, shallower, choices for road racing. As with any deep-dish wheel, cross winds have more of an effect. This is not a wheel for the Hawaii Ironman, but works great here in the Windy City. There are cheaper options, but not as cool.

The M9 is a deep front wheel, 86 mm. I ride it on Ridley Cronus TT bike with a Zipp disk on the rear.

The wheel is fast! My first real ride on it was in a local triathlon in Chicago, and I won the whole thing, partly because I felt so fast on the bike. The thing I love about this wheel is the sound. It's so deep, that it even makes that "disk-sound." What's cooler than that?

I have a shallower Corima, and the Mercury was noticeably faster. While it is fast, and I will probably never use my Corima again, this wheel is for experienced cyclists. This should not be your first deep-rimmed wheel, as wind gusts have more of an effect when you go this deep. Great workmanship. Nice hub! The wheel looks fast, sounds fast, and is super-high on the cool factor!

Similar Products Used: Corima deep-V, Mavic Cosmos, Zipp 404.