Neuvation Cycling M28 Aero wheelsets - clincher

M28 Aero

M28 Aero front wheel has 16 radial spokes and the rear has 20 spokes. Spokes are black anodized, aero bladed stainless steel with brass nipples. Rims are 27mm deep V section aero rims with cnc'd sidewalls. Pair weighs 1725 grams. Skewers are not included. Cassette body is forged chromemoly and works with Shimano 8 or 9 speed cassettes(not included). Hubs are cut out to reduce rotating weight.

Marco   [Oct 17, 2013]
Strength:

Look nice, relatively light

Cracks easily around the spoke holes

I was riding one day when the rear rim started to make a annoying noise when I got home I saw one spoke broken and lots of small cracks due to material fatigue. I was scared, the wheel could have colapsed in high speed (I am also heavy...) so I stop the bike immediately and replaced them. Cannot recommend those for serious riders.

DoctorJD   Recreational Rider [May 29, 2013]
Strength:

Light, relatively inexpensive, durable, look great.

None thus far.

I have over two years on the M28 Aero and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I bought them for my old 05' Allez Sport to replace the crappy stock wheels, and I wasn't willing to spend more than $500 for the set. After some research, I opted for the Neuvations. In the two-plus years since I bought them, I haven't had to touch them. They have remained perfectly true, even after numerous pothole hits and off-road excursions. No issues with the hubs either.

I'm picking up my new Roubaix Elite in the next couple of days and the first order of business is to jettison the stock wheels and replace them with my M28's.

David   [Dec 05, 2012]
Strength:

Good price point. Good customer personalized support.

Constantly going out of true, constant spoke breakage. Slow rolling hub.

I bought these with great expectations but had so many problems with them, I had to ditch them and buy a set of Fulcrum wheels. I have never looked back. Unfortunately, the positives don't outweigh the negatives. I would never recommend Neuvations and am hesitating to even use as backups.

Del   Road Racer [Sep 20, 2012]
Strength:

Looks, Cheap, Fairly Light

Cheap Build, Fatique, Broken Spokes

I bought two sets of the M28's for regular road riding. Luckily a spoke broke on rear wheel when I was riding and when inspecting broken spoke I noticed stress cracks on 10 other nipple holes. I decided to check the rear wheel of the second older set of M28's and it to had stress cracks.I rode each set for over just a year. I am grateful they didn't fail on a downhill going over 50 mph. Can't recommend these wheels to anyone in my club because I feel they may be unsafe to ride.

Doug   [Sep 18, 2012]
Strength:

Nice looking wheel set, relatively light. Rides very well.

Rear wheel failed completely at about 5k miles. Numerous cracks around rear spoke holes. The M28's seemed like a great deal but for me failure occurred at 18 months. I would rather invest in higher spoke count wheels that will last.

Good customer service. John offered to replace rim for $60 but I would pay shipping both ways. I decided to put that money towards a hand built wheel set instead.

Steve B   Road Racer [Oct 07, 2011]
Strength:

good customer service.

Having to experience the good customer service on a regular basis due to failures. IMO the spoke count is such that the required drive side tensioning combine with a rider who can generate a lot of torque power is to high for hub design and will result in metal fatigue and eventual failure. Who knows,these may never fail under casual riding conditions.

While the customer service has been excellent I am done with having to send wheels back to be rebuilt because of hub flange failure. I am very leary of riding these wheels for fear of having one of these things come apart on a descent or pack riding. I now have to inspect around the eyelets for stress fractures before every ride. The most recent failure actuallly had fractures at every eyelet and one section completely failed throwing 2 adjacent spokes. One rear wheel lasted about 4K miles the other lasted 3K.I too am done with my Neuvation experience

Similar Products Used: mavic, araya, fulcrum
jeff bass   Road Racer [Sep 22, 2011]
Strength:

Price, durability and customer service

I have owned a set of these for over 3 years and have raced and trained on them. They roll smooth and pretty aero. I had an issue with the hub and to my surprise it was warrantied even after as many years as I have ridden it. Great customer service. I would suggest these to anyone to train on or even a budget minded racer.

Similar Products Used: ksyrium, velomax circuit comps, mavic cosmic carbone and many others
mblock78   Road Racer [Sep 01, 2011]
Strength:

Cost. They do ride well also. Customer service has always been great, although, now they are only great if you buy wheel protection program.

Longevity....weight. The M28's are not light.

Bought a couple pairs of the M28's quite a while ago. One for me and on for my wife. We aren't big riders...I'm around 170 lbs and my wife...much less. I have done criteriums, road races, and just the local "world cup" group rides....lots of sprint training and some cyclocross. They have held up reasonably well except both sets fell victim to cracked rims at the spoke nipples (rear wheel). The first one was on my bike and Neuvation replaced the entire wheel at no cost. The second wheel was on my wife's bike and came out of true. The spoke tension was so ridiculously high I could not even true the wheel. The hub flange failed shortly after and that rim also had numerous cracks at the nipples. That wheel was also replaced at no cost (Neuvation had problems with cracked hub flanges on their older hub designs).

I have probably logged close to 7000 miles on these before they were warrantied. I also have a friend who has done RAAM solo. Trained on Neuvations for a long time and always had longevity issues. He could never get a set to last more than 5000 to 6000 miles before rim or hub flange failure.

These wheels are okay but seem to have a shelf life (My old Mavic Heliums are a decade old and still great!!). They aren't light but do ride well. I think the R28SL or M28SL may last longer than the X versions with the bladed spokes. The tension seems really high and those bladed spokes have absolutely NO give to them. That makes for a great stiff wheel but IMHO results in the cracked rims. I think the Neuvations with the butted spokes would last longer but I have no experience with them to back that up.

Bottom line....my Neuvation wheel experience is over.

Similar Products Used: Vuelta Corsa Superlite Tubular (for CX), Mavic Helium, Mavic Cosmos, Bontrager Race, Mavic Open Pro/Ultegra hand built.
Sean   Recreational Rider [Jul 15, 2011]
Strength:

Nothing. No strengths if you can't use it.

Defective rim!

Don't buy these wheels! Don't get suckered in by the price and especially the attempt at having a warranty. I purchased a pair of wheels and after about one year of use, numerous cracks and fractures appeared at the eyelets where the spokes meet the rim. Neuvation said that for $60, they would replace the rim and rebuild the wheel. Forget it! I will invest the money into a company that backs their product.

jkmacman   Triathlete [Mar 09, 2011]
Strength:

good 2 buck deal wheel set, works great w/my hutch trainor tires, can hold 10 lbs more psi then my bontys

hub shimmys, cheap skewers

i like this wheel set, had them for a year hope to get another year out of them. i don't know why everyone hates the decals. the type face 'souvenir' was popular in the day, but i guess its outdated