Neuvation Cycling R28 Aero 2 wheelsets - clincher

Neuvation Cycling R28 Aero 2 wheelsets - clincher

Lightweight wheels at a great price. I’ve been working on this set for a long time. Finally, my rim maker, developed a 27 mm V rim that weighs about 440 grams. He did it by using a new alloy that allows him to make a thinner wall. I am now using a different spoke maker on all the Neuvation wheels and these are a 5.0 mm blade. Pretty sweet.

• 1600 Grams per set *
  • Shimano 8, 9 and 10 speed or Campy compatible
  • Deep V 27 mm CNC silver sleeved 420 gram rims
  • 16 spoke front, 20 spoke rear
  • Silver Stainless steel 2.3, 5.0, 2.0 Aero Spokes
  • Alloy nipples, brass drive side rear
  • Forged alloy silver anodized hub shell with cut outs
  • Forged alloy cassette body easily changed between Shimano and Campy
  • Precision-sealed cartridge bearings with dual seals super smooth
  • 7000 series alloy axles
  • With normal travel quick release levers
  • 700C Clincher
  • Wheel weights are without skewers and rim strips

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 27, 2012]
    aaron

Strength:

Nice hubs, looks, fairly light weight, spin up fast, good customer service

Rim material is weak

I put less then 500 miles on these wheels when the rear rim failed on me. Three nipples pulled through the rim and a instant flat. It was a bit scary since this was on a fast decent, plus It left me stranded 80 miles from home. I looking the rim over and noticed about 25% of the nipple holes on the rim had hairline fractures. The wheel was still under warrenty and nuevation was willing to replace the rim and repairs for free. The bummer was I had to pay for shipping both ways and a handling fee which added up to being half of the wheel cost. I didn't want to get another of the same rim and risk being stuck out in BFE like last time. So i decliened took a loss and bought a new wheel set with mavic rims. Since then I have had zero issues 2000 miles later and still going strong and true.

[Jun 07, 2012]
    Adam426

Strength:

Low weight, aero look, stellar performance.

None so far

Mounted these with Stan's No Tubes conversion kit (rim tape, valves, & sealant) and Bontrager's R4 tubeless tires. Lower rolling resistance evident and lighter weight. Outstanding performance. I've read some negative reviews of these wheels here. For me, no issues and great performance. Highly reccomend these wheels, price aside. Add in the value due to low price and you can't beat these wheels.

[May 16, 2011]
    patmac

Strength:

Crazy lightweight for the price.
    I like the QR skewers that were included.
    The hubs spin waaay longer than anything else I have owned.
    Awesome customer service when I last had to talk to them in early 2009.

They do have some flex under power.
    The sets of Continental Grand Prix tires have had to go in the dryer for a few minutes in order to get wrestled on the rim.

This is for the R28 Aero 4 wheelset circa 2009.

I have had amazing luck with these! $239 seemed too good to be true. However, two years and several thousand miles later I have probably gotten my money's worth. They weigh hardly anything and have held up well. There are no cracks and I haven't broken a spoke or pulled one through the rim.

I took off the small circular stickers immediately and the big ones came off a year later. Three months in I snapped the pawl engagement spring on the rear hub, yet the sucker still engaged just fine for the remaining 30 miles. Neuvation mailed out two new ones the next day and I haven't had a problem since replacing it.

The only maintenance on these easily serviceable wheels was a rear true this spring and some grease here and there.

They have been used for a few road races and a few triathlons along with many recreational miles. My training partner once knocked me down a steep, rock covered hill after a snake surprised her. These wheels sure hit some nasty stuff for a minute and didn't break a spoke, bend or shed any tears.

I would buy again if I knew for sure the newer wheels were at least as high of quality.

I understand others have had a negative experience, however I have been more than satisfied with the Aero 4 wheelset.

A couple Bontrager sets, Xero, and multiple mt bike wheelsets.

[Feb 10, 2011]
    tmabiker1234

I was stoked to get the wheels and the tubeless tire kit I purchased together. Went right to work getting them ready in my living room, and was pumping up the first tire I got to about 80psi, at which point the bead tore off the rim, creating a horribly loud boom in an enclosed space and spraying Stan's no tube fluid everywhere floor to ceiling. Turned out they sent sent me regular clinchers, not tubeless! My ears rang for two days afterwards, I would have sued if kids were around, my neighbors said they were going to call the cops until they saw me . The scariest thing is what if I had stopping pumping at 75psi and taken the out for a spin? Love to have them blow off coming around a corner at 35 or 40mph. All they did was nonchalantly offer to send me the correct tires and let me keep the wrong ones. I was so offended I sent the wheels straight back. They might be a good deal, but man.

[Jun 16, 2010]
    mapryor

Strength:

Light weight with a great price point.

Significant spoke problems will lead me to NEVER use these wheels again. And I wouldn't feel right fixing the spoke and selling the set on eBay.

I have written positive reviews for Neuvations before as I had good experience with these wheels in the past, but my two latest sets of M28 Aero2s, purportedly their strongest wheels have revised my ratings. My latest set, upgraded with their ceramic bearing incentive, had a rear spoke nipple back off the spoke only after 500 - 1,000 miles of use. My LBS fixed it, but it happened again within another 200 - 300 miles of use, just 20 miles in to the Alta Alpina Challenge, ruining the ride and requiring I be SAG'd. I weigh 195 and climb a lot, but it seems the latest vintage of their wheels just aren't strong enough. Also, I broke a spoke on another rear M28 on a cycling trip in France, necessitating the emergency purchase of a new Mavic rear so I could continue the trip. After getting great use out of a couple of sets years ago, the latest vintage seem much more flimsy.

Mavic Open Pro 32 spoke customer builds, Bontrager Classics.

[Mar 24, 2010]
    scud

Strength:

weak rims - the integrity of the material is completely lacking!

The wheel only lasted 10 weeks. 10 weeks of 400-500 miles each, but that's not enough to make the low price worth it. A spoke pulled through the rim which ripped about 3/4 of an inch long and 1/4 inch wide. There are stress fractures around the base of other spokes.

Neuvation will rebuild the wheel under the wheel protection plan purchased with the wheel, but I am not going to ride it anymore as my safety is more important. I'll sell it on ebay and go back to Rolfs.

Rolf Vector Pros
    Rolf Prima Vigor
    Rolf Prima Vigor RS (a.k.a., the bomb)
    Mavic everything when younger but these can't handle my riding style either

[Oct 19, 2008]
    hazeldrem

Strength:

Strong, stiff, light. Lighter than some older Ksyrium Elites. Good price.

I bought these wheels for a bike i built for my sister. She absolutely loves them. The wheels were nice, light and true right out the box. These are of great build quality. I got the ceramic bearing upgrade which is great. These roll smooth and long. You can fly down hill without much effort. You will not be disappointed. It was a sad day when i had to hand them over. I will be getting more of these.

WCS Protocol, Ksyrium Elites

[Jan 13, 2008]
    Tom Burgess

Strength:

High speed stability.
    Low maintenance.
    Cost - especially the deal on refurbished wheels.
    Customer service - cracked a rim and got a new one shipped out at no charge.

6 ft 1 in 180 lb rider, put 2000+ hilly miles on a set of refurbished Aero 2s. Exceptional wheels for the price. Steady with no vibration on 40+ mph down hills.

Ritchey
    Easton

[Dec 17, 2007]
    Appendage

Strength:

Noise: No pings, pops or squeaks. Freehub spins very quietly.
    Strength/rigidity: Still perfectly true after getting knocked around a fair amount. No discernable flex (unlike some other wheels I've used).
    Speed/acceleration: This is purely subjective. All I can say is that they feel more responsive and coast better than my old wheelset.
    Appearance: Nicely polished hubs. Decal overload.

The low spoke count kinda worries me but so far so good.

Preliminary review for the Aero 3. I've got about 250 miles on these. 175 lb, middle-of-the-pack sport class rider. I use these to train on patchy, hilly rural roads. I wanted to upgrade my wheelset and when I stumbled across an exceptional deal on these I jumped at the chance, based on the reputation for quality and good service. I did email Mr. Nugent about getting a few spare spokes and he replied promptly and courteously. Preliminary evaluation: a resonably priced, well made and responsive wheelset. Excellent bang for the buck.

Bontrager. Alex.

[Sep 11, 2007]
    Oldteen

Strength:

Value and customer support are outstanding.
    Aero (24mm rim, 16/20 bladed spokes) & fairly light for the price. Nice braking surfaces.

Some tires are tight fit over the rim, Cosmetics (in eye of beholder)

After reading the reviews I decided to get a set. 2000mi later I am not disappointed. Solid and fast with outstanding braking surfaces. Helped me set PB's for 50 & 100mi rides. Only problem has been a slight ticking noise at around 1k mi after a wet ride- eliminated by touch of oil at spoke j-bends & has not returned.

traditional Ultegra/Open Pro's, Alex, Gipiemme