Neuvation Cycling R28 SL 3 wheelsets - clincher

Rims 440 grams.
With quick releases.
Without rim strips.
700C clincher.

Note: Wheel weights are without qr's.

Available in:
silver or black.

SRV   Recreational Rider [Nov 13, 2010]
Strength:

Price.

Rim. The freehub body is soft metal and the cassette digs into it. I had a hard time getting a cassette off and ordered a new body after a year.

This review is for the previous generation R28SL2, but I think the rims are the same. I was happy with my wheels as they were light and rolled well. I thought I struck the jackpot with the price. I weigh 185 pounds and put about 6,000 miles on the wheels

I noticed last week that there were cracks radiating out from four spoke holes on the rear rim. Neuvation offers a re-build service for $75 if you send them the hub. I decided against it since I would like more longevity.

Similar Products Used: Shimano
Brian   Road Racer [Oct 16, 2010]
Strength:

Wheel spins up fast and corners well. If you trash one you wont cry yourself to sleep over it! just buy another for $190

decals are a bit much.

I ride and race Ksyrium SL and some Easton Circuits, I bought the neuvations used so I could have a cheap wheelset to train on, these have become my go to hill race wheel. I noticed the difference on my first training ride, I stayed with the front guys over every hill and it wasn't a chore ( at 204 that's saying something ). I like these so much I bought a pair of the m28 Areo wheels a week after getting these. I broke a spoke after 8 months of training on these and had to ride 20+ hilly miles back to the truck, rim held up great and trued within 2 turns of the wrench. Try that with any other 1500 gr wheel! I put these on my GF's bike for a hilly group ride and haven't seen them since. She won't give them back.

Similar Products Used: Ksyrium SL, easton circuit.
kblehman   Recreational Rider [Sep 15, 2010]
Strength:

Light and quick, very good price

Durability, durability, durability

I love my Giant OCR Ltd but it came with heavy, mediocre rims, so when I decided to upgrade I was looking for something lighter at a fair price. After narrowing it down to Neuvation and Williams I chose the R28-SL3 from Neuvation.

FWIW, I'm 5'-10", 180-lbs, 50 years old and ride approx 1500 miles/year. (Hey, it's MI!) My avg speed for a 35-mi ride is ususally 18-19 mph. As you can tell I don't race, I don't do crits, I've never crashed on these rims.

When I put these rims on my OCR I could instantly tell they were lighter and quicker. They helped with my nemesis--hill climbing--and seemed to be of high quality.

Unfortunately, after just 5000 miles the rear wheel developed a squeak, then a wobble. Upon inspection I found that 7 of the cassette-side spoke holes were cracked, some severely.

I contacted Neuvation Customer Support and asked if they'd replace the rim or provide a discount on the purchase of a new one. I was referred to their online disclaimer about the life span of light rims and offered a standard rebuild for $65 (plus shipping both ways). It was also suggested that I purchase their Wheel Protection Program with the next rim (which wouldn't have done any good for my cracked SL3 since it's more than 2 years old).

I'm pretty disappointed in both the poor durability of this rim and the tepid response I got from Neuvation. Friends have put 15k miles on similar Mavic rims with no problems but I didn't get 5k out of these.

And, unlike others here who received replacement and/or otherwise excellent customer service from Neuvation in the past, I did not. Their response, coupled with the wheel protection plan and online disclaimer, makes me wonder if the failure rate of these rims is more akin to what I experienced.

I have not returned the rim for a rebuild because I hesitate to spend more money on a rim that seems destined to fail again in the future. I am currently looking to replace it with a rim of better quality, as the R28-SL3 has not proven to be durable enough for me. Nor, for that matter, has Neuvation customer service measured up to my expectations.

For these two reasons I would not recommend the Neuvation R28-SL3 rear.

Similar Products Used: Xero, Mavic
Mike B   Road Racer [Jun 03, 2010]
Strength:

Light, strong, excellent ride, John Nugent.

Graphics could stand improvement. No other weaknesses worth mentioning.

I've ridden these wheels for a couple of seasons now on two different frames and have been very happy with them. They are impressively light and very strong. Ride quality is exceptional, especially given their price. I also had the creaking rear wheel issue, and John worked with me to eliminate it. He made numerous suggestions, sent me a replacement axle and finally replaced the rear wheel with a remanufactured one. That one has had no issues. I've only had to retension the wheels once, and I ride some fairly rough roads and weigh around 175lbs.
Last year I did the Stan's conversion to make them tubeless, what a difference! The conversion was problem free and made a noticeable improvement to an already great ride. I highly recommend going tubeless to anyone. Like most, I also thought the stickers were a bit over the top and removed all but one on each wheel. John does such a fantastic job I definitely want to promote him and his product. My buddies tubeless Dura Ace wheels are significantly lighter, but at 3x the price and they don't seem to be any faster on the road.

Similar Products Used: Campy Protons, Velocity Sparticus, Dura Ace 7801, some Mavic/Shimano combos.
slicrick   Triathlete [Nov 03, 2009]
Strength:

Quality, value, customer service, and shipping service. Looks great on my Serotta.

Have not found any yet. Just very happy with my purchase.

Wow! Unbelievable Wheelset. It's been a while since I've made a purchase and received soooo much value for my money!! This John guy--knows the bike biz, he deserves an award from the the bike industry. Additionally, I'm leaving the Neuvation decals on. I will proudly promote Neuvation wheels. Give credit where credit is due. These wheels stand up easily to Mavic o/p ceramic cd and DT Swiss. Both brands of wheels I own. I will probably buy the Neuvation carbon wheels soon. I was even impressed by the quality and care of how the wheels were packaged upon arrival. Out of the box... these wheels are/were stellar on the 1st ride!

Similar Products Used: Mavic, DT Swiss, Ritchey
Paolo Grande   Recreational Rider [Jan 05, 2009]
Strength:

The one-cross spoke set-up and the 27mm deep rim makes for a good stiff wheel. I haven't experienced any flex in the cornering. They come with spare spokes though I haven't broken any. For the money, good wheel set.

Ugly decals

After talking to others who use Neuvation wheels, I decided to buy the SL3 wheel set. I build wheels, so when I got them out of the box, I checked them for trueness. The rear needed some touch-up due to spoke wind-up, nothing big. I've ridden them now for over 7,000 miles with no problems, just a minor rear truing on the rear.

Similar Products Used: Shimano, K's, Heliums, Easton Ascents and Circuits, Campy Protons
kieranza   Road Racer [Sep 25, 2008]
Strength:

cheap

cheap after 5000 miles its ruined

front wheel had been great and true since i bought it, the rear is another matter.

first the spokes rubbed making a squeak every turn of the crank. then the free hub failed ruining a cassette and two different chains, the owner sent me another but that failed mid ride and i had to get a near $100 ride taxi home.

now the spokes have ripped through the rim in four different places making it unridable

Similar Products Used: mavic, shimano, campagnolo
pedalmasher   Recreational Rider [Aug 06, 2008]
Strength:

Strength, durability, light weight, good looks, smooth ride, no flex, and price price price!

Some say they don't like all the decals.

I bought these at the first of the year to replace my one year old, rim split Dura 7801 wheelset. The Neuvation wheels are light and strong. Also, they don't flex into the brake pads like other wheels in this weight category. After 3000 miles and more beat up roads than I care to count, my R28 SL3's are still true and smooth. I bought the black rims and even left the decals on. Do not be a fool and snub Neuvation for a more high profile name brand. The SL's will take what you throw at them and reward you with confidence and performance. Finally, the customer service from John is second to none. This is a company you want to do business with. I liked the wheels so much I also bought a saddle from Neuvation a couple of months ago. I like it as well.