Performance Forte Gemini Rear wheelsets - clincher

Forte Gemini Rear

• A semi-aero rim with a machined braking surface provides confidence when braking
  • Spoke count: 28
  • Weight: 1020gm

CHAOTICMESS   Road Racer [Oct 12, 2007]
Strength:

Still showing promise, will regrease the hubs this winter(me=slacker!)Hit many potholes in the dark commutes, bombproof!

Too heavy for racing, but the weight and durability is great for training.

On the forth season now with these wheels. Well over 9,000 training miles on them. Never had to true them once. I don't see them anymore on the flyers/web (discontinued?.) Don't have to think about them, ever.

Similar Products Used: Cheap Alex rims, Bontrager
mj   Recreational Rider [Sep 25, 2007]
Strength:

reliability, strength, not heavy, handles speed and rough roads excellently

aesthetics (if you care)

I've been using it for 9 months and after around 4000km (2700 miles) and one crash the wheel only needed fine truing. It survived countless potholes and bad roads, I did not have a flat with it.
I am only active recreational rider but don't believe this is a racing wheel. However, it is certainly the next best thing. Very strong, very reliable under all possible conditions, not fancy looking ( I could not care less)

Similar Products Used: few mid range Mavic sets, older types
tarue   Road Racer [Aug 06, 2007]
Strength:

very nice price! you can get it for free if you save points!

not a very nice wheel! not strong enough!

dude! I got them because they where free! first 50 miles hit 1 pothole and the rim was severly bent. Couldn't even ride home! performance replaced with no questions asked! 10 miles into the replaced rim i was climbing wisconsin ave (washington dc) and 2 spkes broke at the same time! wooooow! i got what I used points for hahahahahah!

Similar Products Used: mavic aksium
CHAOTICMESS   Recreational Rider [Aug 20, 2006]
Strength:

Stay true, good price

The stickers are coming off after 2 years due to rocks and peeling.

After about 2 seasons of riding/training and long distance (brevets) I have had good luck with my Gemini's. I rely on them for my long distance events or fast training rides. I have hit numerous potholes and they have stayed true. My weight is 180 and I was a little skeptical on the durability but have yet to have any problems after about 35oo miles!! Highly recommended for the budget rider.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager race, ritchey aero pro, alex rims
daydreamin   Recreational Rider [Aug 18, 2006]
Strength:

They seem pretty stiff but not too stiff and roll pretty nice. I will know more as I put more real miles on them. PRICE is excellent!

Noisy hub! (loud clicking when freewheeling). Just keep pedaling and you won't hear it. He he.

I bought these rims (front and rear) for my 13 year old Centurion. The original Mavics finally gave out (not bad considering no broken spokes ever!). I keep this bike as a backup to my new Trek. I am real happy with them so far. I don't notice any weight difference but they seem to roll better (I'd hope so after 13 years). My only complaint so far is the rear hub is noisy compared to a Shimano hub. But it's not as loud a a Campy hub. I know Campy parts are supposed to be great, but I don't like my bike sounding like I have a playing card taped to my forks). I don't have a lot of miles on them yet, but so far I think they're a great bang for the buck!

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race X Lites, Mavic/Shimano wheels.
clanofwolves   Commuter [Sep 01, 2005]
Strength:

True off the shelf, I commute hard and fast over varied terrane including a stretch of cobblestone and two rail crossings. So far, still true and quiet. Cost wise,...it's a great deal!

None so far. We'll see after a few years. As far as decals go, to be quite honest, after a few more months, they may be as dirty and thus "low visibility" as the rest of the decals and logos on my bike.

I finally broke some rivets in my Mavic Open wheels and had many thousands of miles on my Shimano hubs, so rebuilding the wheels was not a real option. I puchased these wheels after checking them out on a great sale. What the heck.

Similar Products Used: Mavic open pro(had them 10 years), before that some unamed Italian rims (6 years)
Chrisper   Road Racer [Jun 21, 2004]
Strength:

Strong, stiff, reasonably lightweight, nicely finished, and price.

Too many decals, but you can just peel them off.

I've only used this rimset for about a month, But compared to the 2004 Cosmos and Bontrager Race rims they are lighter, spin up faster, aren't affected by the crosswinds as much, and are less expensive. They are actually Alex A-Class rims. In fact the shipping box actually has the name Alex on it. I have hit a few pretty good sized potholes with them and they have stayed true. They actually shipped in already true, which for mail order is a rarity. All in all, excellent rim, excellent price.

Similar Products Used: 2004 Mavic Cosmos, Ksyrium Elites, Ksyrium SSC-SL's, Bontrager Race's.
dixiedog   Recreational Rider [May 18, 2004]
Strength:

stiffness, weight (1020 is not that bad) Price, ride quality

so many stickers I feel like a NASCAR drop out. Just peel 'em off

A good, cheap, effective wheel. at 155 lbs I am not a putting major stress on the wheels, but they are stiff enough,stable enough at speed and climb pretty damn well for the $ Would I rather ksiriums? sure, but I'll save the cash because I like to eat too. 500 mi and still spinning fine and true as ever. If you are heavy, spring for something a little stiffer but if you a lightweight with a car payment these are not a bad deal.

Similar Products Used: open pros, original giant EXT wheels that prove why chunky bladed plastic spokes never caught on