Reynolds Attack wheelsets - clincher

Attack

Reynolds Attack C Clincher Wheelset(0x983b8e50)

Joe   [Apr 19, 2017]
Strength:

Light

Not a precision carbon wheels set as stated on their website. Noisy and really uneven braking.

I bought a pair of Attack wheel set 2017 expecting a hi-performance component but was disappointed for their lack of quality and precision. I don't feel confident on descents due to the fact while braking, the front rim brake calipers do not evenly make direct contact with the braking surface because the braking surface is uneven, not flat and is concave - causing the bike to feel like it's wants to jerk forward - not a pleasant feeling.

James K.W.   Road Racer [Dec 13, 2012]
Strength:

-Light (very slightly lighter than my DT Swiss RR1450 alloy wheelset)
-Aerodynamic (to some extent)
-Roll smoothly with solid performance from Reynolds house-brand hubs.
-Clincher tires mount easily to these rims (gatorskins, fortezzas, and open corsa evo tech)
-Rims sustain long, heated descents admirably (my weight: 170lbs)
-Very strong carbon structure is evident when you first see/touch the wheels, and palpable when riding.

-Require removal of tire, tube, and rim tape to adjust truing/spoke tension.
-Factory red rim tape stretched, and allowed some contact of carbon to butyl tube around the valve stem. This led to repeated flat tires until I replaced the tape with ordinary Velox canvas adhesive rim tape. Problem solved.
-Braking is noisy, even with CryoBlue pads. The way the braking surface is designed included a rough sort of scrim in the layup for better heat dissipation, I think. It makes a whirring noise when brakes are applied. Some people are annoyed by it, others don't care. I have used Reynolds black pads, SwissStop Yellows, and Kool Stop carbon pads, none of which eliminate the sound, and also produce loud, high-pitched shrieking at high-speed application, which CryoBlue pads have eliminated completely.
-The rear wheel seems to flex when I get out of the saddle- or at least the brake rubs on one side of the rim when under high load. Perhaps my RR1450s do this too, but because of the silence of alloy braking tracks, I don't hear it. Nonetheless, it's annoying to hear a rubbing brake when climbing hard, and I wonder if it is costing me some power.

MSRP is closer to $1,100 as of 2012. I paid $1k at LBS.
Repeated flats, braking noise that was hard to solve (thanks to LBS giving me wrong pads with wheels:-(
This made a poor first impression. But after 6 months and 3000+ miles, I think the Attack clinchers will last me for quite a while. I've had the rear wheel trued once after about 2500 miles, and it seems to be holding true.

-GET the correct blue brake pads if you get these wheels.
-FORGET the red rim tape and get some Velox instead. Avoid the headache of pinches from their plastic strip.

Heck, if I had to do it over again, I'd buy some White Industries or Chris King hubs and have them custom-laced to some DT or Open Pro rims. I think I'd be happier with that, even if it were to add a few more grams, it would be a more bulletproof set up, without the hassle of internal spoke nipples, and with a potentially stiffer rear lacing, or 28 or 32 hole construction.

Similar Products Used: DT Swiss RR1450, Mavic Ksyrium ES, Reynolds DV46, Reynolds Stratus tubular.
Eric   [Aug 18, 2012]
Strength:

Strong, light, great looking, good braking.

None.

These are my first set of carbon wheels and I couldn't be happier. I weigh 180 lbs. and have these on a BH G5 with SRAM Red that weighs in at 14.8 lbs. Great climbing wheelset and I have had none of the squealing or braking issues that some mention. I don't ride in the rain so the braking issue should not be a problem for me. Most of my rides are climbs so I appreciate the 1410 grams weight.

Ryan   [Apr 29, 2012]
Strength:

Weight, durability, performance, looks.

Braking can result in a squealing sound. Brake pads are $52 per set.

Wheels came with used 2010 Tarmac sl pro. I use it daily for training rides. I'm 165 lbs. Braking with these wheels can be tricky. Just know the road and brake early and gradually. No problem.

Kiwi Surfer   Triathlete [Apr 28, 2012]
Strength:

Light, spool up fast, strong so far.

Bad reputation amongst some of the crowd, braking isn't the best compared to other carbon wheels. As is the case with Carbon braking surfaces, they warn against long steep descents that need hard braking, especially if you are a big kid. You will blow through the specified brake pads.

Came spec'd on bike build.
I roll these on my training bike and are set mostly for the longer climbing routes. I weigh in at 220 and am a TT/MTB Xterra geek but can pop with a 1600+ watt plus sprint when I get my chances. I have yet, over the years to ever have a problem....but I also don't take pot holes head on, bunny hop all obstacles, train tracks, you name it. If you are going to sit hard in the saddle and take a hit from the road, it doesn't matter what wheels you have under you.

I have all original spokes with several thousand miles on them LTD. Hub gets serviced with no issues. Will they eventually fail? Probably, but I have yet to have anything that hasn't failed even under the intended uses.

Updated models will probably address the concerns of those that have had bad experiences. I wouldn't venture to buy any used though FWIW.

Similar Products Used: HED 3s, Williams 58, Zipp 404, TTR2
Poiter   Road Racer [Jan 23, 2012]
Strength:

Looks Good , Light

Spokes keep breaking , noisy free hub , awful braking

Great looking wheel and nice and light but thats where the compliments stop! Spokes just kept popping in the front wheel and in the end it wrecked the rim. I had them replaced and tensioned properly and it kept happening.Horrible braking in the dry so imagine in the wet and thats with Reynolds recommended own pads and SwissTops as well.Never again for me. Alloy braking surfaces and more research here I come!

mech130   Recreational Rider [Oct 29, 2011]
Strength:

Light and stiff. Durable and good looks.

Braking, Noisy Freehub

I've ridden these for over 2000 miles and overall they have been a good durable wheelset. No flexing on climbs,quick spin up and handle well on fast decents (50+mph). The wheels have remained true until recently when I failed to hop a curb. Braking has been good to a point. First they squeal even with swiss stop yellow pads. Also lately the braking surfaces have been glazing often requiring me to remove glazing with a red scotch brite pad.

Matt   Recreational Rider [Sep 03, 2011]
Strength:

Look good and are a good spinner On a flat road

Wheels are 4 weeks old and have buckled twice and now seems to have a hub problem, poor quality rim very disappointing, not made for anyone over 85kg!

Noisy breaking and overall a frustrating purchase, don't buy these wheels.

Have previously owned Reynolds Solitudes and assaults which were great, the attacks are nothing but a headache !

Similar Products Used: Reynolds Assaults
Jason McCarthy   Road Racer [Jul 05, 2011]
Strength:

they go round until the spokes break

spokes are pathetic

Very disappointing. As with other writers I've seen the spokes keep breaking. Not only does this regularly stuff you up on rides with the added troubles of then getting home, it ends up costing a bomb as well. The spokes shear off where they enter the rim. Do not buy them or other Reynolds wheels as the australian distributer "bike sports importz" treats you with contempt when you try and get them fixed. They wouldn't even tell me where to get replacement spokes.

Chris Walker   Triathlete [Jun 26, 2011]
Strength:

Light and aero.

Loud braking surface. I dont think they are made for bigger riders and long descents (I'm 6'3, 195#)

These wheels are light and fast, however I never got rid of the squeeling problem on descents and they literally melted on me on a long steep descent.