Reynolds Solitude wheelsets - clincher

Reynolds Solitude wheelsets - clincher

Reynolds Solitude Wheelset - (0x983a2220)

[Sep 05, 2017]
CyclingPops

Strength:

Strong and good looking wheels for the price.

None after many years on two bikes.

I have had these wheels at least 6 years maybe more. I have always weighed in from 230-240lbs or 109KG. I have NEVER had any issues out of them, Never broke a spoke or had to trued. Maybe I have been lucky. I normaly ride anywhere from 120-180 miles a week. I would love to ride Carbons like everyone else. But being a true Clydesdale that will never happen so these will have to stay around.

Bonrager Race wheels
Mavic Wheels

[Dec 27, 2014]
Dom

Strength:

Light for the price

Poor quality spoke nipples: breakages on a 73kg rider and spokes seized in nipples

Got these as stock on my bike.
I have had 2 spoke nipples fracture on the back and 2 on the front after around 6500km. OK I have ridden them a fair way but I have never had these issues with other wheels at similar mileage. Just decided to replace all 20 nipples on the front wheel after the 2nd nipple fractured - NOT something I want on my front wheel!
When I tried to replace, 5 of the spokes had seized solid in the nipples so I will need to cut them and replace the spokes too...but at least the wheel will be more reliable for another 3000km after which they'll be replaced with a better wheelset.
Overall the wheels are OK but for a rider at my weight to be breaking things I feel they are too weak & I wouldn't buy again.

[Dec 22, 2014]
kyle palmer

Strength:

cheap price

cheap wheels,noisy,spokes break!

Bought a new Masi carbon bike and these wheels came with it,they are noisy and you feel every bump and now at 1500 miles,spokes are breaking and nipples are coming loose,possibly need brass nipples but even then it probably won't help,they can't be trued up,very disappointing,save your money and buy Mavic's,my LBS said I create a lot of torque because I am very strong.

[Oct 12, 2014]
Moon

Strength:

Decent price, I got them on sale for around $300.

Lateral stiffness and dampening is a little less than desired. You can feel every bump in the road.

These are good training wheels and can be raced on if needed. The bearings feel good and roll smoothly. Probability not get these for the MSRP, but the price I got them for made it worthwhile. Only put a out 1000 mi and like them so far, like not love.

Mavic Ksyrium, Fulcrum Racing 7, Ritchey Protocol, Mavic Cosmo, Zipp 303.

[Aug 28, 2013]
Bill W

Strength:

Cheap

Cheap

I ride 125 - 200 miles a week. Commute 35 miles roundtrip to work and long rides on the weekend. I bought these from competitive cyclist earlier this year to replace a 10 year old set of bontrager race lites that cracked where the spokes enter the rim. Initially they seemed fine. Nothing to brag about, but no issues either. At about 1200 miles the rear wheel went out of true. At about 1500 miles I broke a spoke 5 revolutions into my commute home. After my LBS replaced spoke they informed me that a good portion of the spokes had seized up and that if I had any other issues, they probably couldn't fix it. This is unacceptable.

I called competitive cyclist. Their reps were very helpful. Sounds like a lot of people have been having issues with these wheels. The guy I spoke with was not surprised at all. He also referred to this wheelset as "total junk." They took the wheels back and got me a deal on some mavic ksyrium elites. I am much happier now.

These are probably a good deal for a recreational rider, but folks who can transfer real power are going to destroy these.

[Jul 11, 2013]
Mike Menius

Strength:

Light; Fast; Durable; Value

None to date

Purchased these to replace stock wheelset and they have been excellent with no surprises. I weigh 185# and have approximately 1k miles on them so far over varied county roads ranging from very smooth to very rough. They are as true today as when removed from the box. Excellent product.

Mavic; Shimano

[May 19, 2013]
James

Strength:

31mm rim depth, true out of the box and with 800 miles in first month, moderately light they weight 1615gm (on my scale)

Had to replace the rear wheel after 115 miles. Creaky as all get out. 2nd rear wheel is worse than the original.

I searched the web looking for wheels around the $400 mark, these came up as a great deal dollar per gram and performance. I was super excited when I found these wheels for less than $300 tax included. I bought them from a major national chain bike shop. After the 1st week I was back at the retailer to have them check out the rear wheel. Without hesitation they just gave me a new wheel. The second wheel was better, for a while. Now I have about 800 miles on it, it's still true but it creaks worse than your grandmas 100 year old rocking chair on a 200 year old wood porch. Without exaggeration, I don't need to call out "on your left" people hear me coming a good 30-40 meters before I pass them. I might not be as upset if I was heavy, but I only weigh 170lbs. I have no explanation for the creaking but I will be taking them back for a refund. Front wheel is great, rear wheel leaves a lot to be desired. I didn't really know how to rate the value and overall rating since I will be returning them. If the rear was quiet, they would have gotten 5's in both categories. I will be sending an email to Reynolds see what they have to say.

[Aug 06, 2011]
bunny

Strength:

Price, weight, reliabilty, climbing, acceleration.

None yet.

There wheels are an incredible value, IMHO. After 8K not a single issue, still true. Popped these on right out of the box and the acceleration and climbing was significantly improved, cornering solid. The rear wheel did make a few clicks over the first 1000 miles, but no noise since. Steady on decents and a joy to ride.

Ksyrium Equipe & Elite, Neuvation, Mavic CXP's, various custom wheels

[Jul 26, 2011]
rayallen

Strength:

Strong, light, aero, no broken spokes, looks good, easy to remove decals, good warranty

None that I can see other than these (and most other lightweight wheelsets on the market) wont be good for you if you are quite big or overweight .Makes sense really doesn't it...!?

Great wheelset, highly recommended, amazing value for only about $500 - makes them cheaper than Mavic Equipes, slightly lighter and far more aero. I honestly believe that 90% of the people that have left negative reviews for this wheel are too heavy to be riding a lightweight wheelset.

Mavic Ksyrium SL, Reynolds Shadow, Fulcrum Racing 1, Easton EA70SL

[Apr 21, 2011]
Greg

Strength:

Weight
Price
Rim Depth
Looks
2 Year Reynolds warranty

None (breaking under the strain of a person that is overweight or obese is not a negative if it happens on a lightweight wheelset that can be used in racing.

After touring through 23 different countries throughout 2010 I came home for the start of the crit/race season and bought an Azzurri (awesome bike for the money!). It came with Reynolds Solitude wheelset. After riding and racing on these (and getting a win at Glenvale) I believe these wheels are the best value for money wheelset on the market. Similar price to Mavic Equipe (usually a little bit cheaper) the same weight and a much deeper rim= equals awesome all rounder- great for crits and hilly road races. They are as straight as the day I bought them. Actually I am wondering if some of the less positive reviews on this site have been written by spammers. Either that or people who are too overweight to be riding on road bike wheels at all!

Mavic Equipe