Ritchey Pro Road wheelsets - clincher

• Aero Road Pro, Silver Anodized
  • 32H 3x Logic 2.0/1.6/2.0 w/ brass nipples

• User Reviews (37)

Rich   Road Racer [Jun 04, 2015]
    Strength:

Solidly built, stay true, run smooth. I have the OCRPro wheelset.

I couldn't find any

Ok, right up front. I'm 220 pounds 6'1" I've had these wheels on my carbon fibre road bike for 7 years and-to date-21,560 miles I've had to have one spoke replaced, and the front wheel retensioned (once) I ride some pretty rough roads and these wheels have held up and run smooth and true thruout.

Dancer   Recreational Rider [Jul 29, 2011]
    Strength:

Durable

A little heavy

I had these wheels for 8 years and they are still going strong. I only had to have them trued once. But then again the LBS could have been truing them when I brought the bike in for maintenace once a year. I never broke a spoke ever and I am 170lbs.

Similar Products Used: None, 1st road bike and these wheels were on it.
    jeff   Recreational Rider [Jul 05, 2011]
    Strength:

Light, nice Rim

They Crack, and I haqd problems also with The Bearings!!

Richey 24 Pro

Similar Products Used: Mavic open pro. Found them alot Better over-all
    Marleydog   Recreational Rider [Aug 24, 2009]
    Strength:

Looks good, and that is important if you feel that it is not how good you are, it is how good you look!

questionable components used, will not stand behind their product or network of dealers. Stay away from Ritchey wheels!

Purchased bike from Bikes Direct with Ritchey wheels as stock. Wheels were fine for about 750 miles, started getting crunching noises from rear hub and found rear bearing is out. After contacting Ritchey, and being told that I have to go to one of their approved dealers for service, visited four different LBS recommmended by Ritchey to no avail, no one wants to work on these pos rims! and now I know why, there are no parts available per Ritchey! Really dissapointed in their customer service and also Bike Direct service is below average.

Similar Products Used: Shimano rs20, Mavic Kyserium Elite
    Mgholson   Recreational Rider [Jun 02, 2007]
    Strength:

Light, fast, smooth, held their shape.

Front wheel flimsy, Ritchey's off center rim makes a strong durable back wheel, until the uneven tension causes the rim to crack.

After almost 2 years of riding I noticed my back wheel had several bad cracks around the holes. Up too yesterday I though these were the best rims I'd ever rode, now I'm not so sure. I have to say that after 5000 miles the rear wheel only needed truing once. The front on the other had needed constant attention, probably because it is 24 spoke radial.

The rear hub seemed to slip every now and again, and the engagement of the freehub sucked.

The wheels were definitly light and fast, and I am 280 lbs. so really I don't need to be on a 28 spoke backwheel.

I can't recommend them, but I can't fault them too much

Balderick   Road Racer [Oct 28, 2006]
    Strength:

Not need truing. Nice wheels to ride on.

They crack!

These wheels were purchased with the bike (Giant TCR Composite), as a recommended upgrade. The wheels have Dt Swiss hubs and the Ritchey OCR Pro 32 spoke rims. After about 12,000 km the rear wheels developed cracks around the spoke heads, both drive and non-drive side. Replaced by the importer and the second rear has developed a few cracks around three or four drive side spokes. Front wheel is still crack free. None of the wheels have ever required truing, which is pretty good as I was 123kg (now 105kg) racer.

Similar Products Used: Ksryium SL (borrowed), Shimano 540
    ULTiMA   Road Racer [Sep 25, 2006]
    Strength:

Wheels are light and fast and went well for 6 months

Weak; Hub and spokes broke to easy for my likeing. I would not enter an event with these unless you wanted to sit on the side of the ride with a broken spoke, be alright for training I surpose

I am a 200LB rider,
    My chain fell off going up a hill and totally munted the rear hub,broke 5 spokes and buckled the wheel. I could not believe what I saw, May be ok for lighter riders, Certainly surprised how weak they were
    Scrapped the wheels altogether and brought a set of American Classic Hurricanes.

Similar Products Used: Mavic CXP23
    waterstraat   Road Racer [Nov 10, 2004]
    Strength:

Off Center Rim. Might look nice taco'ed in a garbage bin.

Poor build quality. Wheel does not stay true. Hubs do not roll smoothly. Everything has been professionally looked at by LBS and could not be improved. Wheels seem more like a dimestore piece of crap than a work from a producer such as Ritchey. Shame!!!

Etremely weak. These came on a cross bike, and I hardly find them anywhere near usable. The rim is designed with an off center rim in the rear so that equal length spokes can be used and supposedly creates a stronger wheel. I guess what works in theory does not always work in reality. The wheel only needed a couple of rides before the rear wheel went wickedly out of true and was extrememly difficult to remain true once adjusted. None of the spokes have broken yet, but I would not be suprised if they will later on. I had a LBS rebuild the wheel, and it helped for a ride before reverting to it's crappy untrue state. Not going to waste the time driving to the store dropping/picking the up anymore. The hub play that was sort of tight in the beginning with hopes of breaking in smoother only got rougher and regreasing/adjusting the odd sized bearings did not help. The rear hub employs the small bearings normally used in the front, and I don't know if that has anything to do with the crappy roll quality. I have always liked Shimano hubs, never had any problems with them, and they always use the larger bearings. The cups and cones were not even polished. These Ritchey hubs look like some back water knock offs. Oh yeah, their skewers are a joke too. They always "twist" off, even after they are locked down tightly.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pros w/Ultegra hubs, 32H
    modell   Recreational Rider [Oct 14, 2004]
    Strength:

They do the job, not too heavy, somewhat aero, very inexpensive.

They have a bad rep. Other folks seem to have problems with them.

Just an update on my previous reviews. I have over 5000 road miles on these now, in just under one year of use, and still have had no problems whatsoever. I weigh around 165lbs. Even though I didn't ask them to, my LBS trued them once at about 2K miles when I had the bike in for service (I cracked the weld on a rear chain stay and the frame was replaced under warranty). I haven't had them trued since and they still work just like new. I'm on my 3rd set of tires (Michelin Pro Race - they're great), if that matters to anyone

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Select, Mavic Open pro, old Trek Matrix
    jkretsch   Road Racer [Aug 30, 2004]
    Strength:

Seem to be built well; relatively lightweight

Very difficult hubs to rebuild due to non-standard design. The cassette body takes a 12mm hex wrench from the backside, unlike Shimano which uses a standard 10mm hex from the front. Furthermore, whoever assembled the wheel forgot to use anti-sieze and the steel bolt which attaches the cassette body has fused with the aluminum making it impossible to remove. Also, the Ritchey hubs have different size ball bearings on each side of the hub. The rubber seal on the drive side can be a real pain to install into the correct orientation.

These wheels seem to be built well but rebuilding the hubs is difficult and time-consuming. I would recommend you leave the hubs alone unless they're really running rough. I give 5 stars for value. However, only 3 stars overall due do the difficult servicability and non-standard design.