Ritchey WCS Protocol wheelsets - clincher

WCS Protocol

• Superlight forged, CNC machined WCS hubs with titanium skewers
  • OCR and Zero System technology eliminates dish for a stronger wheel
  • 24mm tall front, 25mm tall rear machined sidewall rims
  • Radial front lacing, 2x rear, black bladed spokes. 8-10sp HG-splined freehub. F/R 610/850g

• User Reviews (22)

Konstantinos   Road Racer [May 28, 2014]
    Strength:

Durable, Light for the price, Roll great, Excellent hubs

None so far

Those wheels were on a used road bike I bought 2 years ago (March 2012). I've done over 15,000km, training and racing and never had an issue with them! I live in Athens and roads here are in a really bad condition but the wheels are still as good as new! Since this particular model is not available anymore I would totally recommend the newer model!

Similar Products Used: Fulcrum Racing Zero
    Robert Keich   [Aug 26, 2012]
    Strength:

Light
    Fast
    Bladed Spokes

Alloy nipples and spokes kept breaking
    Stickers pealed off
    Wouldn't stay trued

I purchased an online bike and really liked the Ritchey components that were included. However, sadly the wheels are the weakest link. The WCS Protocols have about 1000-1500 miles on them and have had to true the front wheel four times and have had to replace three broken spokes on the rear wheel and have it trued as many times as well. The alloy nipples break at the rim, spokes pop and the front wheel creak is horrendous when out of the saddle and under power. Sad since even the bike shops have mentioned similar and to replace them with the "same" wheel isn't cheap. Would NOT recommend as a purchase.

Richman909   Road Racer [Sep 12, 2010]
    Strength:

handle great
    they last (4 abusive years)
    light clinchers
    accellerates fast

had to change bearings in rear wheel often
    rear wheel finally gave in 5 years later and has broken spoke and crack on rim

I've used this wheelset for a solid
    4 road/crit seasons and 2 cyclocross seasons. I'm a very aggressive rider with a herky jerky style of racing, so I put a lot of abuse in my equipment. These wheels I think are fairly strong. I rarely had to true them. These wheels excellerate fast up hills and they handle pretty well in crits (cat. 2). One downfall about the wheelset is that after my first season racing on these wheels, I noticed that my bearings would wear out often so i had to change them up to three times a year (more often in the rear wheel). In my past two cyclocross seasons I would be impressed on how these wheels can hold out all year on the road and they would get the job done in the ruts. But now the rear rim is worn out and bent and that forced one spoke to break and a crack formed on the rim from the cause of the broken spoke. I'd say I was pretty satisfied with these wheels.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey pro, Ksyrium Elite, Zipp 404's, Reynolds Solitude, Bontrager x lite carbons, ambrosio boxed rims with record hubs.
    Steve Getsiv   Road Racer [Aug 29, 2010]
    Strength:

Light weight. Great for climbing. Very pretty.

Horrible at 30+ mph. Rim joint not even.

Worst wheels I have ever owned. I've been riding and racing for 26 years. The joint where the rim is welded is not smooth - poor quality control Ritchey, shame on you. Because of the uneven joint, these wheels shudder big time. They are also flexy and are anything but smooth on a bumpy downhill. After 3 weeks, I am sending them back.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey WCS Carbon Apex - excellent wheels.
    fromagosor   Road Racer [Jul 06, 2010]
    Strength:

Very light and fast

Hob's body broken after 2 months, poor nipples

Performance top, quality flop; couldn't use my bike very much 'cause of an injury for a year
    I'm very diappointed of the quality, despite the good perfomance

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Bontrager
    funkjunkie   Commuter [Apr 25, 2010]
    Strength:

nice looking

weak. broken spokes

Ritchey WCS protocol wheelset woes.
    I didnt get more than 300 miles on these wheels before the spokes started to brake. had the wheel rebuilt and the spokes broke a few hundred miles later.

steveaudsley   Recreational Rider [Feb 05, 2010]
    Strength:

Looks
    Stiffness
    Light weight

Rear Rim cracked
    Noisy rear hub (campy)

It seems clear from all the other reviews here that the durability of Ritchey rear wheels leaves a lot to be desired. My experience is doubly disappointing. My protocol WCS's came with a custom built pre owned Cervelo. Whilst nice to look at, light and stiff, I cracked a back rim after 3000km from new. This appears to happen all too often with Ritchey's, particularly the one's marked made in Taiwan. I replaced the set with some budget Ritchey OCR Aero's, for which the rear hub bearings were shot within a month. It was sent back to the AUS distributor and returned no better. My local mechanic reckons the rebuild had installed makeshift parts! I've sent the Aeros back again hopefully seeking a warranty refund, the Protocol was thrown out! Ritchey appear to be cutting corners of late. If you're on a budget and have a set of these that are still OK, maybe save them for the occasional race and buy a tougher training set like Easton EA70's or Mavic Equippe. Don't buy Ritchey, you'll soon be let down.

Similar Products Used: Ritchey OCR Aero
    Mavic Equippe
    Reynolds
    aaronis31337   Recreational Rider [Aug 13, 2009]
    Strength:

Strong, light, and free for me.

noisy. Hubs don't spin as well as my Neuvations.

I haven't had a single problem with these wheels -- even though I abuse them thinking that they won't last long. The more I ride them the more I like them. I'm 200lbs and ride on pretty good roads, but these have help up 100%. I've NEVER NEEDED TRUING. My only complaint is that the hub is noisy and doesn't spin as long as my Neuvation R28's. BTW, if you're looking at these wheels to buy new, I'd say don't buy them. I'd buy Neuvation wheels again in a heartbeat.

Similar Products Used: Alex r5500 (worst wheel I've seen)
    Neuvation R28
    Robert   Recreational Rider [May 18, 2009]
    Strength:

Very light, hub works fine.

How a manufacturer can make a supposedly high end wheel with garbage nipples is beyond comprehension and borders on negligence.

Bladed spokes are a pain to work with.

These came with the bike. Within a few weeks the nipples on the rear wheel started breaking, and when one breaks the wheel goes out of true enough that it is not rideable. Frustrated by multiple nipples breaking, I had them all replaced. After three months, the rim split at a nipple hole, so it's shot. I bought a set of Fulcrums as a replacement.

bjenkins   Triathlete [May 17, 2009]
    Strength:

Very light and fast.

Weak spoke nipples that tend to break.

The wheels came with a Ritchey Breakaway. They worked very well for about 1000 miles....until, I started breaking spoke nipples. Both times it has happened on uphill climbs to the rear wheel. The second time it happened was 2 rides (approx 150 miles) after the first time it happened. I only weigh 160 lbs and ride on pretty smooth roads. I am scraping the wheel for another set.