ROL Wheels Race SL wheelsets - clincher

Race SL

Our best-selling Race SL is a favorite with racers looking for precise handling, ride quality and speed. It's perfect for road racing, criteriums and triathlon. It's already one of the best-reviewed wheels on the market and for 2013 we made it even better.

We've improved the Race SL with a new rim profile that is wider and stiffer. At 23mm wide, our new rim design improves tire performance by shortening the tire sidewalls and producing a wider contact patch. It adds up to more confidence in the turns, along with more comfort and improved aerodynamics. The 28mm tall profile provides the stiffness aggressive riders appreciate, as well as an aerodynamic advantage.

• 28mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • 24 Spoke Rear - 2X2X
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

Jake   [Aug 23, 2017]
Strength:

Stability and hubs

You really can feel a difference in handbuilt wheels. After riding Fulcrum's for years I made the switch and dont think i'll ever go back. Absolutely wonderful company to work with - and by that i mean i received a phone call form the owner to discuss hub and spoke options for my riding style and conditions.
These wheels roll easy, corner great, brake consistently and effectively in wet and dry conditions, and the the rear hub feels great when freewheeling. After putting about 1000mi on these things in a month I could not recommend them any higher.

Christopher Brown   Road Racer [Aug 22, 2017]
Strength:

These wheels never let me down over the past 10,172 miles and 1 1/2 years of hard riding. Living in Pennsylvania, where the roads aren't perfect, I knew I needed a durable set of wheels for training and racing year round. The Race SL has surpassed my expectations in all areas. Going from the stock Fulcrum Racing S Four wheels that came with my Specialized Tarmac Expert SL4, I immediately noticed the following improvements: a smoother ride, quicker acceleration, and a more solid feel. Smoothness is achieved by the wider than average design of this wheel. I have ridden both 23 and 25mm Continental GP 4000 S II and have found both perform great for training and racing. I currently am running the 25s and love the comfort. I questioned if this wheel would be suitable for racing crits and it definitely gets the job done. I have podiumed on all four cat 3/4 races entered. When coming out of tight corners this wheel accelerates without a problem and stays feeling solid when laying down the power during a field sprint.

No weakness found.

After putting these wheels through a long term test, I can confidently say they are an exceptional value and I appreciate their superior quality on every ride.

Jan Podgorni   Recreational Rider [Oct 15, 2016]
Strength:

Just pulled the trigger and before I did, I called Sean to talk to him about the wheels (was wondering whether the owner actually answers and he did.). I asked whether the DT hubs would make a huge difference and he told me they are not really worth it as ROL hubs will do a similar job (didn't try to upsell me) and seems to know what he is talking about when it comes to wheels. After mounting Vredestein Comp Race Tires (23 mm) and Ultegra Casette I was finally able to do a 40 mile ride. Wheels are stiff and accelerate very well compared to my stock Oval 327 that always feel slow and sluggish. What really amazed me is that I am getting similar speeds with them as compared to my 60mm 3T Team Accellero Wheels that are certainly aero but using them in wet conditions is a no no. Maintaining 19-21 mph is not that difficult and they roll quite effortlessly. Furthermore unlike the 3Ts (where the rear wheel was not true when new), no matter how hard I looked at the ROLs on a truing stand they are simply perfect. In addition, the angle of each spoke is perfect as well. Simply put it seems that Sean really cares about what product he puts out and while it is way too early to tell about their longevity, I felt confident that if any problems occur in the future, Sean will take care of it (based on my conversation). While I realize that the rims and hubs are made in Asia, they are actually assembled by ROL and myself I rather spend money on US based small businesses than on companies that complete the entire process in Asia. There may be comparable wheels out there at the price point of Race SLs but I don't really care as I am a very happy and satisfied costumer. I also got a free tshirt.

Overall I feel that these wheels will serve me well and will work better in bad weather conditions than my 3Ts. Super solid and worth every penny so far.

Similar Products Used: Oval 327 Wheels (crap)
3T Accelero 60 Team Wheels (Al/Carbon)
Myles Lambert   Recreational Rider [Apr 30, 2016]
Strength:

Customer service, performance, value, design

None so far

I built a Colnago C59 over the winter. Probably researched wheels more than any other component. I contacted Sean and provided information about me, intentions for the bike, etc and he recommended the Race SL. This C59 will get the bulk of the miles so wanted reliability and performance. 6-1 and 195 so have had more than a few broken spokes over the years. I've only racked up 1000 miles but so far flawless. I did a metric a couple weeks ago and some of the roads were awful. Wheels have been exactly as I expected and as I needed. I've met a couple other cyclists with the same experience. Interesting how they commented on the wheels and not the bike! Don't hesitate, these wheels are a great value and won't disappoint.

Similar Products Used: Magic Ksyrium Elite (older ones have been very good), hand built 32 hole 3 cross
E. McKinnon   Triathlete [Apr 29, 2016]
Strength:

Strong, Stiff, Bullet Proof, Customer service, Free-spin capacity, day-to-day reliability

My original set of SLs just went over 25k miles. Yes, 25 K miles. Had them refreshed a few years back. Not because anything was wrong with them, but, rather because, Sean said he just would. In those 25K miles they have seen four different frame sets, various terrains, and all kinds of road surfaces. Not one broken spoke, not one failed hub, and barely an untrue mile. Almost as fast as the day I first used them. I gave them a close inspection the other day, and no cracked nipples or any real wheel stress marks. These have just been a solid performer and for the cost, well, nothing compares.

Similar Products Used: Bontranger, Mavic, Shimano, Williams
bkirkwd   [Mar 13, 2016]
Strength:

Weight, width, aero performance

This is my 2nd set of Race SLs. I purchased my first about 4 years ago, the original model. They were rock solid, never had to true, smooth as could be. I bought the new model a few months ago and it is a worthy improvement!. The rim is about 3.5mm wider than the original at 23mm. I run Conti 4000S 23mm tires. On these wheels, the tires measure 26mm wide. The resulting ride is very smooth even on the rough chip and seal roads I ride! I see no reason to use 25mm tires on these. the new rim profile also wider on the spoke side of the rim. Many manufactures are doing this as they have found that it is more aerodyamic. I am 64 years old and occasionally go on group rides with a bunch that are about 15 years younger with me on average. I sometimes am dropped and, if not, i struggle to hold on. I rode the new Race SLs yesterday and I not only kept up but took my turn at pulls at 24mph in the pace line! I am a happy camper!

Prescott Balch   [Oct 11, 2015]
Strength:

Great price/performance ratio.
Light.
Fast.

Haven't found one yet.

I got lucky with weather conditions for my inaugural ride with the new wheels. Equally windy (15mph) and same temp (60F) as last weekend's ride on the old wheels. Only difference was wind direction, but since I was riding a loop, that shouldn't affect the comparison much.

Wheels replaced: stock Mavic wheels on a 2001 Bianchi Giro

Results: felt so light and easy that I went 12 miles (30%) further at 2.8mph (17%) faster.

The Race SL wheels are fast, light, and fantastic.

Mitch Turbo   Triathlete [Feb 24, 2015]
Strength:

The value for the money is unparalleled. The wheels are durable, appropriately aero as an all-rounder, beautifully true out of the box AND after more than 10,000 tough miles, including harsh New Hampshire winter riding.

As others have said, the soft aluminum free hub body is susceptible to gouging from the cassette. This is not truly a weakness of this wheelset, however, as all aluminum free hub bodies suffer from this same issue. This is a small penalty for a significant weight savings.

I initially purchased the Race SL's in April of 2012. Now, almost three years and over 10,000 miles later, the wheels ride like they are brand new. I did have a minor problem with a cassette-damaged free hub body, which was replaced (as stated, the customer service, coupled with the quality of the wheels will have you coming back to ROL as a loyal, repeat customer). This set of wheels is incomparable at the price. I have friends who baby their $2,000+ wheels and fret constantly over road conditions. When they've seen how the Race SL's perform (and, equally as important, how they feel on the road....light, stiff, responsive) they are sorry that they blew a boatload of money on wheels that they are afraid to ride! The Race SL's will take anything that you can throw at them and beg for more. I cannot believe the quality of these wheels for the money. I'll be purchasing a new bike his spring and --- for giggles --- I've looked at every wheel brand imaginable....from boutique carbon clinchers to ultra-lightweight alloy wheel sets. The wheels that were most intriguing cost between $1,300 and $1,900, but they all lacked one feature or another. One set had a nice carbon rim but a questionable hub design. Another carbon clincher had an aluminum braking surface, but weighed 1,800 grams. Yet another looked like the cat's meow, but had LOUSY reviews from both magazines and customers. With all of that reading (I've been at it for months, researching upgrades for my upcoming bike purchase), I could have saved myself a boatload of time. When all is said and done, no one --- and I mean no one --- has been able to show me a better wheel than my Race SL's. Yup, I'm going to buy another pair (this set will be the new, wider design) for my new ride!

If you are worried about buying a set of Race SL's sight unseen, have no fear. You will be blown away by the quality of the wheels. And, equally as importantly, you will be blown away by the (truly unbelievable) customer service.

Similar Products Used: Wheelsets that I've owned include Mavic Aksium, Bontrager Race Lite, Shimano Ultegra, Bontrager TLR
sukie   [Feb 22, 2015]
Strength:

I've put about 5,000 miles on these wheels and they are still as true as when they came out of the box. Light and stiff, a total pleasure to ride, and is a huge improvement over the stock Bontragers that came with my bike. I highly recommend these. And I too have benefited from the great customer service.

None.

Excellent wheels, great value.

Jason   Road Racer [Dec 16, 2014]
Strength:

Lightweight
Looks good
Strong
Cost

nothing...

I have now put on about 1K miles in 3 months on these wheels and they are still straight as the day I got them. I think these are an awesome wheel-set and especially at the price. I knocked off about 1K grams from the stock wheels and they have been so smooth to ride on. If you are thinking about these, I wouldn't hesitate as they are really a great buy. Sean the owner at ROL is also super easy to work with and was very helpful when I was trying to decide on which ROL set to go with.