ROL Wheels Volant R/T wheelsets - clincher

ROL Wheels Volant R/T wheelsets - clincher

The Volant's big brother, the R/T is for aggressive riders and those who prefer a stiffer ride from their wheels. The Volant R/T is a performance wheel for pounding out training miles, slamming industrial park criterium corners or finessing bumpy cyclocross courses.

Compared to the Volant, we bumped up the spoke count by four on each wheel — a small price to pay for increased stiffness and durability, and the set still comes in just a hair over 1,700 grams.

• 28mm Alloy Aero Rim
  • ABEC 5 TPI Steel Sealed Cartridge Bearings
  • ROL Skewers and Rim Tape Included

[Jan 14, 2018]
Dave

Strength:

Price to value relationship. Very durable. Nice looking and great customer service. Favorite wheel set in over thirty years of road biking. If you are looking for a bomb proof wheel set, this is it.

NONE

I purchased the wheel set for training and occasional racing. They perform flawlessly, spin up nice and are a true pleasure to ride. Paired with Continental Grand Prix 4000 s 2 tires, they are impossible to beat for quality to price ratio. I have used them every day, for one year and have had no problems. They are as true, as the day I installed them on my bike. I have used them equally, on the road as well as indoor rollers. I would not hesitate to recommend to any level of cyclist. I am already thinking of upgrading within the Rol lineup. Corner and track, beautifully. Descend like an eagle. You have total confidence, no mater how you are using these wheels. The extra spoke count on the Volant R/T, guarantee durability.

Neuvation, Mavic, Bontrager Race and Race Lite ( came stock on two road bikes, total crap)

[Sep 29, 2016]
Craig in Australia

Strength:

VOLANT R/T ALLOY CLINCHER i'm a 105kg 190cm rider that wanted a bulletproof wheelset. Weight wasn't a big factor for me but these are very acceptable at 1700 grams approx. I live a long way away from ROL but my questions, their service and shipping options in my experience were flawless. My wheels arrived and look great, beautiful machined brake surface, deep rim and well taped linings. I quickly put some 25mm Durano's on them and went for a ride. Bearings rolled well, the wheels handled well and am one happy camper. I've now done about 500km on them and there are no issues. I will update this in a few thousand kms and hope they show the same performance. I agree with one writer here that compared to Mavic the skewers are a lot lighter and need careful tightening but so far haven't been a big issue. Go buy a set I think you'll be surprised at their quality.

The skewers could be higher quality ... but this is being picky.

Great service particularly for an international buyer. Can't fault the entire buying, shipping, packaging or wheel performance experience. Thx guys.

[Mar 26, 2016]
Chris

Strength:

strong, stiff, responsive, smooth

I threw these onto a specialized allez after having stock Mavic xp 22 wheels and I was amazed. They feel strong, smooth, stiff and they almost seem to carry your momentum further. The 'clicking' ,when pedaling is idle, sounds of a quality wheel set as well. I've read that their performance is as good as wheel sets costing much more and I believe it. They made my bike way more fun - took them for a 70 mile ride the next day after I got them and loved these every minute.

I'm 195 lbs and thought about getting the volants but decided 4 extra spokes could only mean good things, especially if I get fatter over the next few years. Hopefully not, but all I'm saying is lighter people should not be afraid of going to the r/t over the base volant, but I haven't even used the base volants. Damnit.

Whatever, I like ROL Wheels. They're pretty sick. I like that they hand make sick wheels for little money and show all these other turds who's boss in the world of wheels. It's a nice niche they have carved out and you can tell they care about quality. It's like buying organic with the best coupons you've ever seen, instead of blowing your wallet at McDonalds (no, nobody does that, but it could happen. Dummy. Just go with it) and feeling like a dumpster. If ROL were a person, they would be your best friend. 5 star boyee

[Apr 10, 2015]
Marty C

Strength:

Stiffness and designed for the heavier riders!! Price was reasonable compared to other name brands.

None yet

I bought these wheels based upon them being designed for the Clydesdale riders. I went to other sites to look at other brands, but finally decided on these based on the previous reviews. I haven't been disappointed yet. I bought my first set for my Fuji and bought a second set for my CIOCC due to the groupsets being different for each bike one being Shimano and the other being Campagnolo. When I first got them I noticed a big change in the way the bike rode so I had to buy the second set for my new bike and I have not been let down yet. Just a smooth ride!!

[Mar 12, 2014]
mgmoehn

Strength:

Strong, Bombproof, and aggressive wheels. Huge improvement over the Giant wheels that came on my bike (even the upgraded Giant wheels with DT swiss hubs). Spin up fast, corner hard, and make for a nice ride

After almost an entire road season and then threw them on my cross bike build up for gravel grinders, muddy jingle cross race, and some snowy roads... they were great. Rear hub bearings finally got a little worn after cross bike riding but that is to be expected with dirt, mud, road grime etc.

After about a year the front wheel was true and the rear needed just a fine adjustment. These are everything you ask your training wheels to be and more. I weigh in around 185lbs and I am a bigger powerful rider which is why I spring for the R/Ts. Super awesome wheels I would not be afraid to race on at all especially in a crit when you are slamming corners and sprinting out of them. The quality is there and the customer service is TOP NOTCH! The guys down at Rol are very helpful and can get you what you need, you wont feel disappointed in your purchase.

Sine these are 23mm wide rims and I ride on 25mm tires I can run about 90-95 psi most always and it is a nice ride.

[Sep 12, 2013]
kdoug

Strength:

Strong, Stiff, Non-Proprietary components, Great Customer Service!

None so far.

I have a Trek 4.5 Domane that I've logged close to 3,000 miles on this year. The Bontrager wheels have been relatively trouble free but I've never felt they spun up or rolled very well. Since I've replaced or upgraded most everything else except the frame, the wheels and tires were the last to go. I weigh in at 230lbs so low spoke count isn't an option.
After reading many reviews here and elsewhere about ROL wheels I purchased the R/T's and mounted Continental 4000s tires. Wow, what a huge difference both made. The bike rides and handles better than I ever imagined, I couldn't be happier.
I might also add, when I was unboxing the wheels, I noticed one of the stickers had been damaged from packing. I contacted Sean and he sent me 5 extra stickers and a pair of ROL wool socks USPS Priority mail the same day!
Customer service is everything and they went above and beyond!

[Aug 30, 2012]
Tom P.

Strength:

Sturdy, Stiff, Great wheel weight for a big guy. Great looking decals.

None so far.

I was looking for an upgrade to some basic Shimano wheels. After reading reviews for the Volant I called to order a set and in talking to the people a ROL they told me about the new RT that was designed for bigger guys (it wasn't even on the website yet). I'm a lifter and come in at 6' 215lbs. I promptly ordered a set and they arrived 4 days later. After running them 2 1/2 seasons and almost 5000 miles on my Gunnar Roadie they are still going strong! These things are bullet proof! The only incident I have had is when I accidently caught my right heel in the rear spokes. After a quick trip to the LBS the wheel ran true as new. I would not hesitate in buying another set. The only thing I would recommend to prospective owners it to keep an eye in the rear spokes. I check mine every 200 miles or so and there are always two or three that need tightening. I consider this regular maintenance for a wheel with such a high spoke count and a guy over 200 pounds.

[Jan 03, 2012]
optonj

Strength:

Great value for the money.

None so far.

Very pleased. I wanted a second wheelset for the winter and long rides over chip top. Not as light as my Dura Ace 7850s but not a lot of drop off. Spin up nicely and are very stiff. I run 25mm Continental A/S with these at about 95 psi and the ride is very comfortable. I weigh 160 pounds and could have gone with the Volants but the I like the idea of the extra spoke count of the Volant R/T- adds to the durability. At 1650 grams not the lightest but still lighter than stock wheels with a much better hub.

Dura Ace 7850
Mavic Ksyrium Aksiums

[Jan 01, 2012]
Ross

Strength:

Very stiff in acceleration and lateral stiffness (even under my big behind)
Lightweight
Quality hubs/Rims
Customer service is outstanding (quick + knowledgeable)
Great price point

They don't weigh nothing and they aren't free

I am a big guy at 220 lbs and I crank out some serious wattage, I am one of those guys who rides on "normal gear" and will strip several spokes on a really hard sprint and/or snap top quality chains like there's no tomorrow, These things are just as light as the competition but they kick their butts on quality and strength. Not to mention service is out of the roof good. I busted a spoke after about 100 miles, talked to the owner and within about a week a had a whole new wheelset with even stronger spokes (even though they didn't need to because sapim had a bad manufacturing run and had some faulty spokes.)

[Oct 05, 2011]
RJ

Strength:

Strong and Durable, extremely well built (Stayed even tensioned even after 5 new spokes and still remain true). They are stiff and responive and can hold aggressive lines in high speed corners yet still do not have a harsh ride. I am at the weight limit and cannot detect any unreasonable flex or deflection during my riding. (It's there but it does not cause me to hesitate to take them to my limit)

The only potential niggle is the weight but it's irrelevant because they are still lighter than any other wheel with a 240lb rider limit! (That I could find at the time) Considering what they survived I cannot honestly fault these wheels!

I picked up these wheels in April to replace the POS CXP-22, Formula OEM set which I had to retrue after every ride. I finally got them on my bike for a 75k charity ride and they exceeded my every expectation. They were smooth, they were stable at all speeds (up to 75kph) on the sometimes rough roads and brought me to the finish in a personal best time despite my lack of training. Next ride out my d-hanger snapped and sent the chain and derailleur into the wheels. I assumed they were garbage. Closer inspection showed that the damage was limited to 5 gouged spokes and the wheel was still relatively true. I was able to contact Rol for advice and Sean himself replied with his recommendations. I had my LBS replace the spokes and I finished up the truing myself after a short ride and have yet to detect any need for a touch up (Since I am in Canada shipping them back would have been excessively expensive and time consuming). I am back to riding and they continue to be a joy. They spin up extremely quickly, have confidence inspiring stiffness on the short and technical "descents" and still don't have a punishing ride quality. I cannot say enough good things about these wheels considering the punishment my 6'2" 235lb frame (and a freak mechanical failure) have dished out. Buying a new set of Rol's will be a no brainer although I will likely upgrade to the Race SLR's.

Value is second to none. I dare you to find another wheel rated for 240lb under 1800g for less than $500 shipped! (I spent dozens of hours and came up empty)

Overall Rating cannot be anything less than a 5 because these wheels should have been trashed by the d-hanger failure yet they still are going strong.

CXP-22 with Formula Hubs, 50k on Ksyrium Equipes.