Rolf Prima Apex wheelsets - clincher

Apex

Rolf Prima Apex Road Wheelset. Apex is a lightweight category wheel system that delivers extraordinary value and ride performance. Ideal for the budget-minded cyclist who is not willing to trade-off the quality and long-term stability associated with hand

Keith   Road Racer [Sep 14, 2010]
Strength:

Good value, pretty light, strong, stay true, look good.

There are lighter wheels out there, easier to repair.

Got a good deal on these and have loved them since I put them on the bike. I'm a light rider (150#), but have ridden them pretty hard for the last year, and have had absolutely zero problems with them. I hit a concrete edge last weekend at about 40 mph, and thought the front wheel was going to buckle, but got to a stop and was astonished to see not a dent.

Similar Products Used: Mavic
Pat   Commuter [Nov 27, 2009]
Strength:

light.

spokes losen, rear hub, spokes snap.

I got these wheels from Nashbar in early 2008. I noticed some problems with the freehub not spinning well and/or interfering with the axle which caused me to send them back to Rolf for a $70 repair. At that time, I felt happy with the wheels. They were light and stiff and climbed well. In 2009, I noticed the wheels started to flex a lot on climbs and hit the brake pads when out of the saddle (I'm about 180pounds). Their site directed me to a shop for repair that didn't actually repair Rolf stuff (wtf?). I eventually found another place that re-tensioned the wheel for me. Later, more issues with the rear hub forced me to put in a spacer which screwed up my gearing. The final straw happened two days ago. THe last race in a series, I'd prepared 6 months for, 20 mile up-hill climbing race and a spoke on the rear wheel snaps without warning, making the bike un-rideable. I think I had about 4000miles on the wheels.

RickWms   Recreational Rider [Sep 03, 2009]
Strength:

Value, quality, price

Light but not extremely light. Rolf uses internal spoke nipples with very high tension. May be hard to find replacement spokes at LBS and LBS may not have a lot of experience truing these type wheels.

I bought these using a discount code and got a good deal. They are a decent mid-weight wheel that have stayed true for over 5000 miles. I weigh about 160 lbs and occasionally ride on rough roads and have hit my share of small potholes. These were a replacement for very old OEM wheels that weighed more than 2000 grams. I noticed an improvement in my ability to accelerate (and thus not get dropped) and have much better control on fast downhills.