Rolf Prima Elan RS wheelsets - clincher

Elan RS

• weight: 1420g set [600g/820g]
  • spoke count: butted 20F/24R
  • For serious riders who demand every last measure of performance from a lightweight category wheel, but need some added impact strength and stiffness for more aggressive maneuvers on tougher road courses.

• User Reviews (2)

ratherbecycling   Road Racer [Feb 20, 2011]
    Strength:

Relatively light
    Relatively strong
    Balanced,
    Stays true (so far)
    Reasonably aero for a low-rim clincher. Nice technology -- the paired spokes, internal spoke nipples, etc. -- without pushing the margins too far.

None so far.

I was looking for a strong, light wheel for riding several events this summer -- TOUR Transalp 7-day race from Germany to Italy, in particular. I need clinchers so I can quickly change a flat, something light enough for the climbs (20,000 meters of climbing over the week, and strong enough for the punishment I inflict on wheels (6'2", 200 lbs). I've been riding these for 6 weeks and have really enjoyed them so far. Light -- spin up easily, only a little flex when I hammer out of the saddle, and very comfortable over bumps. Compared with the wheels I've been riding lately (Hed Jet 6, Fulcrum Racing 1 Tubeless) the rear wheel feels like it is almost not there, it is so much lighter (with Schwalbe Ultremo ZX tires).

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium SL (2004).
    Fulcrum Racing 1 Two way (2009).
    Open Pro rims/Dura-Ace hubs.
    Reynolds Stratus Cross DV (2006).
    HED Jet 6 "stallion build" (2010).
    OVERALL
    John   Commuter [Jun 02, 2008]
    Strength:

Light for a clincher.
    Stiff enough on hard climbs despite lower weight
    Good road feel
    Stable on high speed descents

Not particularly aero. My Topolinos are 48cm deep and really slice the air. The Elan don't deliver that sensation but are better all around.

Rolf built me a set of Prima Elan RS from its remaining 2007 close out inventory of parts. Bought the Elan RS for a little extra strength versus the Elan since I'm 6' 2" and 165 pounds. Four rides, including one outing with a 2,700 foot climb on 8% grade, so far. The wheels are now my daily set, replacing tubular Topolino Revelation V90s (approx 1,100 grams). The Elan RS have been great - spin up well, solid on rougher road, fairly rigid in hard climbing, stable in descents and still feel relatively light. Nice combination plus the convenience/security of a clincher. I got a great deal as I was buying close out stock (that is why the "value rating" is 5 - otherwise probably a 4). I trusted reviews I read on this site and on cyclingnews.com. The reviews were right.