Rolf Prima Vector Pro wheelsets - clincher

Vector Pro

Rolf design front hub with low flange shell, ground and polished races, loose ball bearing, labyrinth and rubber contact sealed mechanism. Weight 786 g front. Rolf/DT Aero spokes, 2.0/1.3.

Jim Harrell   Recreational Rider [Oct 01, 2009]
Strength:

Sturdy, fast and stay true for hundreds of miles of use. No issues whatsoever with cracking hubs.

Not in production anymore, which is a shame.

These are my first set of tubular wheels. I was amazed at the difference in the smoothness of the ride and how quickly and easy they were to 'spin up'. Mine are anodized blue with chrome spokes, which are a nice complement to the metallic blue finish on my bicycle. Good looking wheels and true as the day I bought 'em.

Similar Products Used: Maviv Open Pros and CXP33s laced to Ultegra hubs, Bontrager 'Racelites' laced to DT-Swiss hubs, and Ritchey OCR's.
Richard Shoop   Recreational Rider [May 26, 2009]
Strength:

Light weight, good looks, strong (when hub not cracked), stay true.

No spare parts available. They're unrepairable, so use 'em, then throw 'em away!

Nice wheels to look at, and good performers, but spare parts are no longer available. Rolf won't support them, and Trek, who built them, doesn't admit to their existence. If you buy a used set, assume that they are fully unrepairable.

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race Lite. Mavic Open Pro.
verne robertson   Recreational Rider [May 09, 2009]

whel has gone out of round at the most annoying times just sitting there for no reason.eg hub collapse.spoke snaps

No more parts says it all really.Try sourcing them and youll soon loose your enthusiasm for thier smart looks!

Walshtron   Recreational Rider [May 01, 2009]
Strength:

Many have said it: They are bullet-proof- If you only weigh $1.50 you can wreck them, ride on dirt roads, gravel roads,bunny hop Railroad crossings and roll down stairs (not as recommended). The hubs are, as my wrench put it, "...an elegant design and very easy to service." Service the hub every year and you are guaranteed a smooth ride. For one who has been riding +100 mile weeks since February you need no other wheel to train/recreate with. If I can find hoops I'll surely lace these hubs up when the time comes. Fast descenders, confident Climbers, comfortable pacers.

Heavy? 1680g? that's 3.7 lbs. Wheels are the heaviest part of the bike aside from the frame. That's not always a bad thing. Lose a pound off your body and you won't even think about what these wheels weigh.

I had the fortune to find a bike with these wheels included at a really fair price. These apparently retailed for $800, even in 2001. (But who pays retail?) I have ridden them for the majority of the time that I have owned the bike (bought in 2002). Though I have been using them more lately, I only just took them into my mechanic to have them trued in 2009. These are a great value. especially below retail.

logdrum   Road Racer [Apr 25, 2009]
Strength:

Stiff. Affordable in the used market. Often mistaken as cheap Bontrager wheels, so not a highly stolen wheelset. Durable,,, yeah strong.. durable

You need to remove the tire to true. That is really a bad design. Really noisy free-wheel. Not supported by Trek or Rolf. Do not pay more than 200 for these, maybe 150.

I bought this about 6 months ago from an ex racer (who really looked the part) because I was getting tired of my Mavic 280-s that flexed and My Zipps I really do not want to ride them except for races or mad centuries/long group rides where the pullers can pull high speed with their Mavic Open Pros and the Aeros help you to stay in the draft. I was also on a budget and for the price I paid for it, it was way better than getting an entry level Mavic Aksium. It's tubular since that's all I really use. The roads I ride are not great. It's New Mexico , either they are chip seal or there are huge gaps in the tarmac. Specially on the hill roads. I also occasionally offroad with this wheel and so far it has held pretty well. These are not light but they are really strong. I have no need to true them yet and I already put 2500 miles on them. They are also not so blingy and since most people associate them with the cheap Bontrager wheels you can actually commute on these wheels and no one's gonna bother, because unless someones' counting the spokes, they look like wheels off cheap treks. . Especially that I removed the decals so I don't worry about these wheels getting jacked. In the past I rode my old steel bike for errands and commuting but nowadays, I just ride my trainer alu carbon Orbea. On training rides and rainy or those gritty, sand in your face 70 mph gust, I use this with my Raleigh Team Carbon bike instead of the Eastons or Zipps

They are stiff wheels, specially for something with 12 and 14 spokes. I still do not buy the less spoke means less drag. My 32 spoke Zipp 330's -- old ones have probably less drag than these and they have almost the same depth, But these guys are definitely durable. I think the less is more paired spoke accounts for that strength. I am about 152 lbs 143 in season, so I will never be able to flex these but I've seen 200 lb guys ride these and the frames will flex first before these wheels. Like every one said these are jack of all trade wheels. Not really light, not too aero (compared to others in with this profile), not too quick in acceleration. But overall a good training wheel and for those that have good DNA, will probably be a kick-a race wheel. Come to think of it, for those Tuesday night crits, you probably want these as they probably will survive a crash, better than you do.

Similar Products Used: Zipp, Mavic
jdrunbike   Road Racer [Oct 10, 2008]
Strength:

Bomb-proof.

Not the lightest wheels out there but they more than make up for it with strength and aerodynamics.

These wheels are indestructible. I t-boned a car at that pulled out in front of me when I was going 20+ mph and my front wheel is still true. My frame is completely crumpled and unrepairable but my Rolf Vector Pro front wheel, which is the only part that actually impacted the car during accident, is just fine. Amazing.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Cosmos Wheels
Davidlbrandt   Recreational Rider [Jun 10, 2008]
Strength:

Bomb proof, look great and are good multi-duty wheels.

None, not even the proce as they have b een well woth the price.

I bought these wheels in the late 1990's because I wanted lighter and faster wheels. And I must confess they looked great. I am still using them today after many thousands of miles and they have needed zero maintenance. They are as true as the day they were purchased.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pros & Rolf Elan Aero wheelsets
kona_dawg194   Road Racer [Mar 21, 2008]
Strength:

Strong,light and look so dam fine

none found yet

Great strong wheels and light. great rolling and freewheeling and loud freewheel hub.

Similar Products Used: Alexrims DA12
Steve   Recreational Rider [Oct 07, 2007]
Strength:

Unbelievabily strong. Recieve second looks for anyone who sees then. Qiute pleasing to the eye.

Have not found one yet.

Bought them from a friend who had too many wheelsets in the basement. I rode them twice (read approx.100 miles) On the third ride a car cut me off and I "T-boned it. My frame buckled, the front wheel remained in tact. It remains TRUE.

trek1420b   Recreational Rider [Oct 02, 2007]
Strength:

Strong, tuff wheels (at least for me).
Great looking. Can you say sexy!

Noisy (ratcheting) rear hub when freewheeling. If you break a spoke call in the SAG, you're not going anywhere.

I have had these wheels for over 5 years. I currently have 22,000 miles on them. I broke 1 spoke around 13,000. Beyond that I have not had a single problem and never needed to have them trued.

I am a 6'5" tall, 205-212 pound fast recreational rider. I have a mile stretch of washboard road (seams every 15 ft) outside my back door I use on every ride. I can't say enough about these wheels. They have been phenomenal for me.

On my previous bike I went through 8 rear rims over 4 years before finding one that would last.

Similar Products Used: About 4 different Mavic rims which all cracked or failed except CXP 30.