Rolf Prima Vigor wheelsets - clincher

Vigor

The Vigor wheelset from Rolf Prima features their new Delta rim profile that increases the tire to rim transition and smoothes the airflow over the area to reduce drag. The wider rim profile also gives the Vigor wheelset increased stabil...

Toine   Road Racer [Jan 20, 2015]
Strength:

Extremely durable and stiff

Riding these wheels now for 3 years in amateur-races. Strong and stiff: quick acceleration and up-hill you feel that all power is transferred into speed. The only maintenance done last 3 years is the winter-maintenance.
Compared to my previous wheel-sets (Shimano Ultegra and Dura-ace) this Vigor RS beats them on all aspects.
Want a wheel set for an "average" price that will keep you smiling for years ? .........This is the one.

Similar Products Used: Shimano ultegra
Shimano Dura ace
tom robert   Road Racer [Jun 08, 2014]
Strength:

Spin like crazy. Have been very durable.

None so far

We have had the rs vigors for 4 years. I being a 200lb rider used them for 2 years on a sl2 tarmac. Training and racing road and crits. Put about 7K miles on them in New England. My wife has ahd them for 2 years now and wont give them up. Spring 2013 she hit a hole so hard it dented the rear rim just below the brake track. I was able to straighten it and had my shop true the wheel. Still riding the same set had them trued twice with about 17,000 miles on them. Still going strong and spin like new. Looking to get a new wider set for myself. I tried ksyriums, like riding in mud. Easton ea90 aeros, breaking spokes. Nothing beats the Rolf Vigor RS wheels.

Similar Products Used: Eastons, Race x lites, ksyriums, dt swiss.
mark satorre   Road Racer [Dec 27, 2013]
Strength:

Looks good when it doesn't break

breaks easily, poor customer service and expensive to repair.

I'm 6 feet 220 lbs and I broke my Rolf vigor rear wheel while riding 20 miles on a regular ride. I called and emailed customer support and the only thing I got was it cost 300 bucks per wheel to fix and put decal stickers. If I want both then I have to pay another 300 dollars. For short I'm screwed and I have to buy another set of wheelsset. Better find another company with better customer support. I paid 1000 dollars for these wheels more than a year ago and I don't usually ride this everytime. I rode this total less than 500 miles. My option now is to sell this piece of crap on craigslist and find somebody that will be stupid enough to buy then broken. I'm eyeing the mavic kysyrium sl premium wheelset replacement because I read and heard a lot about these wheelset and the company's customer service rocks!

Similar Products Used: mavic and dt swiss
Len   Road Racer [Nov 04, 2013]
Strength:

Lite, stiff and reliable. Do not require a lot of maintenance.

I don't like decals on these wheels. Too much of decals.

I have 3 high-end bikes with the different wheel sets. 2009 and 2013 ZIPP 404 tubulars, 2013 ZIPP 202 clinchers and Rolf Prima Vigor. I've been racing and riding on all this wheels. The only difference I can notice is between ZIPP 404 when going over 18-20 ml/h. Other then that the Vigors performs very well as all around wheel set. Given the price and convenience of a clincher wheels these wheels is a bang for the money. Very happy that I purchased these wheels 5 years ago. In my opinion these wheels are underrated.

Similar Products Used: 2009 and 2013 ZIPP 404 tubulars, 2013 ZIPP 202 and Shimano Tubless wheelset.
sdw5012   Triathlete [Jun 17, 2013]
Strength:

Stiffness, looks, hubs, value

Nothing really that I can think of.

This review is for the rolf prima vigor rs. I'm a heavier rider around 205 lbs and I contacted the guys at rolf prima directly and they recommended the extra spokes for additional stiffness. I must say the customer service was great. I wanted to wait until I got a few rides in before writing a review. I've got a few hundred miles and just raced them for the first time in a triathlon this past weekend. These things spin up so quickly and just keep on rolling. On group rides I find that I'm just coasting at times my riding partners are pedaling. The great thing about these wheels is that they are like the Swiss Army knife of bike wheels....they can be used for all types of riding. If you can only have, or like most of us afford, a single wheel set these are a great option. They aren't the lightest wheels but they climb better than the stock wheels I had. I was also looking at the American classic aero 420's but these had a wider rim so I decided on these. I can get out of the saddle to climb or sprint and I don't get the flex from these like I did with my other wheels. I I don't really have anything bad to say about these wheels. If I need another set of wheels, I'll definitely give Rolf Prima a look.

Steve Darnell   Triathlete [May 17, 2012]
Strength:

Superb weight / price ratio. Easy to clean, easy to use (they spin up nice). Fast wheel. Not so common so a little bit of a head turner.

Some (very) minor flex. I can think of nothing else.

Had these since July 2011. I'm 70kg and use this wheel for racing, sportives and all day adventures. I love hills and my bike climbs like a billy goat with these wheels on. The look godd, sound good and have been utterly reliable. Cornering - not an issue and braking with my SRAM set up has been epic. Very powerful.

All in all, my 2011 Rolf Vigors have been brilliant. Highly Recommended. Best wheel I've used (for this purpose !)

Similar Products Used: Spinergy Rev X, HED Tri Spoke, Corima Tri Spoke, Mavic Kyrisium Elite.
Mike Laughlin   Road Racer [Nov 23, 2011]
Strength:

Aero, strong, light, true. Hand made.

If you ever crunch a rim, as they are paired and patented, will probably have to send to Rolf for rebuild. However, I would want that anyway.

Rolf/Trek era paired spoke Sestieres came with a Paramount Ti. I'm 210 and these were so solid over the years I purchased Rolf Prima wheels. -- A super light Elan to replace a front wheel a motorist pretzeled. -- Later, a Vigor RS wheelset. All are true as first day on bike. The Elan is really too light for my weight yet I've used for time trials for 3 years. The Vigor RS are aero and very strong. I will keep going with Rolf Prima paired spoke aero alum wheels. (Don't trust carbon at this time.)

Similar Products Used: Have had some nice wheels over the years ... Campy Record with arc'n ceil sewup rims etc. But even 36 spoke cross 3 weren't as strong as 16 spoke Rolfs.
DaSchmooze   Road Racer [Mar 30, 2011]
Strength:

Weight, aero properties, hubs

Cross winds!

Been on these now for half a year. A great wheel to be on. Spins up very quickly, is very light (for a full aluminium clincher) and the hubs are fantastic.

Similar Products Used: Fulcrum 5s
Rich Donaldson   Recreational Rider [May 17, 2010]
Strength:

Fast acceleration, stiff yet smooth and very aero.

none yet

I recently went from paired spoke Bontrager race x lites to easton ea90 slx wheels, huge mistake. Beacause Bontrager no longer offers paired spoke x lites i purchased a set of vigors. The vigors are sweet, overall they perform better than the x lites though they are both good wheels.