Shimano Dura-Ace/Mavic Open Pro wheelsets - clincher

Shimano Dura-Ace/Mavic Open Pro wheelsets - clincher

[May 30, 2010]
scottfess

Strength:

These wheels spin like crazy and they are great value plus not as stiff as the bontragers.Fantastic value and great quality.

Not flashey.however this means nothing.because these wheels rock.

Purchased a set of mavic open pros with durace hubs to replace my bontrager x lites.My rear Bontrager rear wheel volcanoed for the second time and Trek has been draging there feet in terms of replcing my rear wheel.So instead of waiting for them i had Bob build me a set of Mavic open pros.These wheels have been rocking my world for a month know they seem to have more snap then the bontragers.My trek 5500 feels better in the turns and spins better on the climbs I love them.

Bontrager race x-lites tehy stink in comparison.

[Mar 18, 2008]
Mike

Strength:

PRICE, weight, quality, road feel

Don't get lots of attention

I bought these to replace Ksyrium SL SSC wheels that did not age well. These are the 7800 front and the new 7850 rear Dura Ace hubs laced 3x with Wheelsmith 14/15 db spokes to Mavic Open Pro rims. They are light, strong and feel great on not so smooth roads. they actually ride better than the Ksyriums (not as harsh)

Ksyriums, Ultergra hubs/Open Pro rims

[Jan 11, 2007]
Mtn Mike

Strength:

strong
plush ride
smooth bearings
readily available parts (any LBS stocks)

Weight & aerodynamics might be a concern for lighter weight racers.
Not chi-chi cool looking.

Excellent all around wheelset. A jack of all trades ride. I've used the OP/DA for everything from road racing, training, cyclocross racing, commuting around town, and even a mountain bike race or two (on my CX bike). I'm 200 lbs and don't go easy on wheels. I've put on about 15 K miles on one set of OP rims over 4 years, and they've only been trued 2 times. They're relatively light for how strong they are, but certainly wouldn't be the choice of serious climbers or light weight racers. The DA bearings are silky smooth.

Mavic Heliums
105/OPs
Easton's

[Jul 24, 2005]
leithenm

Strength:

Stiff, Durable, Easy to overhaul, Cheap

None!

I just bought this open pro rear wheel (built on a Dura Ace 7800 hub) as a training wheel. I currently have Ksyrium SLs and I've had many problems with my rear wheel being too flexy while I'm out of the saddle (and I'm only 150ibs). Anyways, after 2 rides this new wheel has absolutely blown my mind. Its the smoothest rolling wheel I've ever ridden (go with Dura Ace hubs if you can choose) and the quality is as good as any wheelset (I think the shimano hubs are better manufactured than the Mavics). The wheels are bombproof and surprisingly lightweight (hardly heavier than Ksyriums) and SO stiff (way stiffer than Ksyriums). Also, the hubs are dead easy to overhaul, so you dont have to worry about riding the wheels in rain/winter since you can just keep them clean inside - compare to cartridge bearings which are a nightmare to take apart and rebuild. These wheels are proof that more expensive is not always better. I highly recommend them to anyone looking for a solid longlasting reliable and fast wheelset. I guess they're not as flashy as something like Ksyriums or Zipps, but only to the untrained eye!

Mavics, Campagnolos

[Sep 19, 2003]
trent526

Strength:

Light weight, great price, comfortable ride.

This wheelset is wonderful. I have owned and ridden several "boutique" wheelsets such as Velomax and Mavic but this set ranks right up there especially for the price. Mine are the Excel Cirrus wheelset built with Revos ft. and Revos/DB drive side rear. The DA hubs are fantastic especially the easy service and smooth rolling loose ball bearings. The Mavic Open Pros are very comfortable riding rims as well. These wheels are also light enough that I notice no weigh penalty on climbs even though they are no more than a few ounces heavier than the lightest, much more expensive wheelsets.

Velomax, Mavic, Ritchey

[May 16, 2003]
Greg Roles

Strength:

Rolling Staying true Stealthy light

don't draw crowds at coffee shops

Planned these myself down to the nipples. Blue open pro's 32h, DT revs 2x/3x rear, 2 x front, alloy nipples, dura ace hubs, ultegra freehub body. Put the Ti d/a freehub on my racewheels. These wheels absolutely sing. I used to race tri, and have been spoilt in the past when i owned a bikeshop, so I've had a go of a lot of wheels, but these would have to be a great all rounder. Fast, light, bulletproof. I run Michelin A1 tubes and axial pro's, and they just roll forever. Big clue is to rebuild the DA hubs with Slick-50 auto grease, takes a few 100 k's to bed in, but i can outroll almost anyone at all, despite their weight and setup. I'm sure the std shimano grease is OK, but i love to have things technically perfect. The alloy nipples are plain silver, bit of stealth, and drops a little centrifical weight. If you want the best value for money, I can't recommend this setup highly enough. Sure there are better wheels, but not for the money.

Trispoke, Spinergy, Mavics, Campag's, Cane creeks, Shimano, you name it.

[Apr 03, 2003]
Oneheart

Strength:

Light weight (28 spoke DT Revolutions). Bombproof. Fast roll-up. Climb very well. Easy upkeep: trueing and rebuilding.

Not as pretty as some, but will be with you a lot longer.

Probably one of the best all around wheels made. Not sexy, unless you're into reliability, silky smooth rebuildable bearings, bombproof strength and low weight. I've weighed these wheels on my digital gram scale and built up with 28 spoke DT Revolutions and Vox rim tape they weigh in less than Ksyrium SL's and Bontrager Race X-Lites... for hundreds less in cost and have they very easy upkeep. You can't go wrong with this wheelset.

Bontrager Race X-lites, Open Pro/Ultegra, Ksyrium SL, Velocity Sparticus.

[Apr 28, 2002]
Dwight Hatcher

Strength:

Bomb-proof 32 spoke classics that ride well and never need servicing. Very inexpensive relative to the newer high-tech wheelsets.O

Low "cool" factor in this day and age of $800 wheelsets made out of plutonium.J

These wheels have over 12,000 miles on them and they remain absolutely straight and true. Colorado Cyclist built them perfectly. They are a classic ride -- light, stiff, and responsive. Have ridden them in cyclocross races and they are tough as they come -- still rolling true and easily. The DA hubs are absolutely bullet-proof. Have a pair of Velomax on my road bike (keep these on my Bianchi ''cross bike), and these ride at 90% of the Velomaxes at half the cost.

Mavic OP/Ultegra hubs; Velomax Tempest; Mavic 33/RSX hubs; test ride on Ksyriums

[Jan 16, 2002]
mark203

Strength:

Light, High bearing Quality, keeps it all dura-ace, blue and red look really sharp!

none to date

I rebuilt this wheelset up over the summer and have been using these on my road bike ever since. My usual riding includes some of those infamous NYC potholes. They have yet to kill off these wheels. For a lightweight/non aero training wheelset, they can''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''t be beat. They are an easy build and there is enough extra strength in the parts to allow even a mediocre wheelbuilder like me to produce a durable set.

Ultegra/04CD wheelset (lasted for 15,000+ miles!!!!)