Shimano Dura-Ace WH-7850-C24-TL Tubeless wheelsets - clincher

Dura-Ace WH-7850-C24-TL Tubeless

Shimano Dura Ace WH-7850-C24-TL Carbon Clincher Tubeless Road Wheelset. The same stiffness as the CL version, now on a tube or tubeless compatible rim.

First Tracks   Recreational Rider [Jun 01, 2014]
Strength:

Very fast rolling and supple, very light while still stiff enough, very smooth freewheel with instant engagement

Somewhat difficult to mount tubeless tires. Tubeless valve does not have a removable core, which means you have to unseat the tire bead to add sealant.

Wow, I love these wheels, especially when set up tubeless. I'm now running them with Specialized 23c/25c Roubaix Tubeless tires, and really love this set-up. The wheels aren't as stiff as my old Mavic Ksyrium SL's, but these are noticeably faster rolling and have a much more supple feel. I'm a strong 195 lb rider and initially could hear some popping sounds from spoke wind-up when standing to power up hill, but they have now bedded in and I don't notice any wind-up or flex. The tires are tight and tougher to mount than conventional tires, especially when new, but I got them on ok using a single plastic tire lever. I run 1.5 oz of Stan's sealant in each and have yet to have a flat in the first 1000 miles, with a most of it in difficult wet Alaskan conditions when my buddies were having a lot of flats. I wish the Specialized tubeless valve stem had a removable core like the Stan's stems as that makes it much easier to add sealant (note: the Stan's universal valve stems won't work on these wheels due to the narrow shape of the rim channel). I need to use a compressor to seat the bead, but once seated the wheelset holds air very well, probably better than my tubes wheels. I'm very happy with these wheels.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium SL
Michael W,   Recreational Rider [Dec 11, 2012]
Strength:

Ride quality, weight.

Tubeless wheels are a real bear to put on the rim! I broke 3 Park levers on the last before asking for help holding it in place, while I used the lever. With that said, theorhetically, I won't be pulling off to the side of the road to replace my inner-tube anymore either. I guess it's best to pay a bit up front, for a pleasant ride after.

I was absolutely STUNNED by the difference in ride quality between my WH-7800's and the new WH-7850 tubeless wheelsets. For me, it was perhaps as great as the difference between a carbon and aluminum frame. I was considering getting a new Trek Domane, but have decided against it: I actually want to stay in touch with the tarmac conditions beneath me. You never know, I might ride over a pit or something and never realize it until it was too late!

I've only ridden these a few weeks now and will let you know if anything changes.

biker58life   Recreational Rider [Oct 12, 2011]
Strength:

tough, stiff enough, smooth tubeless ride, roll freakishly smooth, fairly good deal if u can get them below $900.

I like these to be under 1000 grams but I also like to see world peace.

In a nutshell, I love these wheels. IDK if the tubeless tires are tuff t2 put on bcoz I go to LBS and I never hear any boohoo from them. I have Hutchingson Atoms, expensive (about $160 for the whole shebang) but just stunning. To me.

I love the tubeless set up, as a matter of fact, I bought a complete bike with a set of old scandium tubeless in '08 and I never looked back; I have 4 bikes and they all run tubeless. Shimano D/A hubs are fantastic, roll beautifully. I am about 180 pounds and wheels are tuff! I have a riding buddy who is over 250 and these r the only wheels still working when out of warrantee; he has since lost 60-70 pounds. I just put in an order for Colnago C59 and I so want to get another set of these; I guess I can pay more but will I get more? Madfiber tubeless look pretty sweet though.

Similar Products Used: Ksyium Equipe, Zipp 303, D/A C24 CL,
Dewey Formby   Recreational Rider [Aug 07, 2011]
Strength:

Light, wonderful tubeless ride when functioning properly. Great road feel with lower psi, and no speed loss.

Impossible to mount fresh out of the box tires for a normal guy. Tires would not hold air, sealant dried.

I, too, have had problems with these wheels. I could not mount tires, neither Hutchinson tubeless or typical tubed tires. I tucked my tail and went to my LBS. He is experienced but new to tubeless and he struggled too. He got them on, with Hutchinson sealer, and the ride was DIVINE. But they wouldn't hold air. After a few returns for resealing, I gave up. I was going to sell, but decided to try tubed tires once more. I cleaned the dried sealant as best I could. I took slightly used tires off another wheelset and they mounted right up. The tires need to be seasoned first, prestretched. I've only ridden in the neighborhood, will report on a longer ride, but they are holding air well, and these are light wheels. I will experiment with psi.

Similar Products Used: Shimano Ultegra 2009, Mavic Kysirium Elite, Hed Ardennes fr 2011 (superb)
AlexH   Recreational Rider [Jul 31, 2011]
Strength:

Low rolling resistance, Comfortable ride

Not that stiff, doesn't stay true for long. Tough to mount the tubeless tires.

I purchased those wheels as a trade for the Bontrager Race that initially came with my Trek Madone 5.5. I also have a set of Shimano RS 80 and I can't say the 7850 wheels are stiff but boy they roll better, very low rolling resistance, they roll forever !

For the price I would wish they would be stiffer. My Campy Zonda (on my other bike) at half the price are stiffer and stay true. After about 1000km I had to bring back the 7850 that was not true anymore. Now they are ok. Changing tires are not a pleasant experience but once they are on they are great to use, very smooth ride.

Great rolling wheel for the price but was expecting a stiffer wheel. I have purchased a new bike and this time I'm going back to Campy for the wheelset.

Similar Products Used: Campagnolo Zonda, Shimano RS80
davidscone   Road Racer [Jun 19, 2011]
Strength:

Light, look good, solid, strong, no flex, stay true.

Tubeless tire choice, freehub body.

I have to say that I have been disappointed in these wheels. I read so many great reviews on them that I thought I was buying the next best thing since sliced bread. After one year riding them I cannot recommend them. The tubeless tires from Hutchinson are hard as crap to get on. Then they won't hold air after about 1,000 miles, even with sealant. I decided to just run them with tubes and couldn't get the darn regular tubed tires on (I guess it's hard to put any tires on these rims) so I threw them on ebay in frustration and sold them. Also, the freehub body produces significant drag. Don't know if that was a defect on mine but I even had it overhauled and it still produced drag. They are light and solid wheels. I think if there was a better tire choice then they would be worth keeping. I understand Maxxis is coming out with some new tires but they are over $100 apiece. Crazy.

Similar Products Used: None.
Steve   Recreational Rider [May 17, 2011]
Strength:

Great workmanship. Reliable, and lite. There is more weight in hub which may add to the overall bike weight, but the weight is at the center of rotation so they feel light.

Not much choice as far as tires. Hopefully more tire manufacturers bring some competition and choice.

I love the wheels. The combination of Shimano workmanship and the tubeless tires is great. If you have sore back after a long ride, or you ride a bumpy roads, try them, you will never return them. It's like riding on new pavement.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium ES, Shimano Dura Ace 7801
pmause   Road Racer [May 27, 2010]
Strength:

Great ride, pretty light, tubeless lets you ride through a thumb-tack factory without having a coronary. They're also super stiff -- I'm about 6'4" and consider myself a sprinter and I haven't felt any flex at all. The new DA hubs are unreal. One of my friends has the DA 50 tubulars and went on-and-on about how great the DA hubs were. Now I know why. They rock.

Although they're worth every penny of the price, once you start adding tires at $85 a pop and Stan's, the price starts to tick up. Compared to the other premium tubeless wheels out there, though, these are a great deal.

These wheels are amazing! The ride is amazingly smooth and they corner like a fiend. They're quite light at around 1450g, but the DA hubs are an extra 50g of that weight (DA hubs are about 50g heavier than DT 240s). The DA hubs, however, are awesome, and if I were building a wheelset, I'd say I'm 90% sure I'd go with the DA hubs.

The feel really fast and, although they're obviously not as aero as my deep-dish carbon tubulars, they feel way more aero than my ksyriums, which were great wheels but I'll never ride again after riding the DA tubeless.

The handling is unreal -- it's so easy to carve turns on a descent that I just fly (that and I still need to lose weight...)

The best part is the tubless + Stan's. Last week on a ride, at some point I apparently rode through a pile of sharp-a$$ wood chips because after my post-ride coffee, my tire was fairly flat. I borrowed someone's pump rather than burning a CO2, and pumped it back up to my preferred 85psi for the back (again, I need to lose weight b/c otherwise I'd run 80, as I do in the front). After riding home, I found what I thought was the thick end of a thorn pushed into the tire. After pulling it out after a lot of digging, I realized it was a big chunk of wood -- bigger around than a fat toothpick and about 1cm long. Yikes!

I think that spear was in my tire for the last 30 miles of the ride because the back felt a little soft. I had to deflate the tire to get the chunk out so I was curious to see what would happen when I put in more air. I pumped the tire up to about 40psi and rolled the hole to the bottom. There was a short psst of air and about 0.01cc of Stan's blew out and then nothing -- silence. It was totally sealed. I almost pooped. I pumped the tire up to 90psi and it's been perfect ever since. Unreal.

While the ride's not as great as my carbon tubulars, it's so infinitely better than regular clinchers. The tubeless tires and the carbon on the rim take a lot of the sting out of the ride so at the end of a looong ride over bumpy roads (i.e. a lot of the roads around me), my back feels a zillion times better than before.

The tires are h-a-r-d to get on initially. Just make sure you put the bead you're working on in the channel in the middle and finish at the valve hole, and you should be able to get it. Also, make sure you have an air compressor for the initial inflation.

Similar Products Used: Ksyrium SL and ES, Edge 66 tubular, Reynolds DV46UL tubulars.
jbrandley   Road Racer [Jan 18, 2010]
Strength:

Light & responsive

Beautiful craftmanship

Strong & reliable

Great hubs/bearings - will roll forever

Good-looking graphics, just the right amount of bling, not over-the-top

They smooth out rough roads

No flats (yet)

Rear wheel had to be trued 2-3 times out of the gate, until the rim "settled".

Costly

Not as aero as some other wheelsets out there.

The addition of these wheels to my 2002 Trek 5200 OCLV frame transformed the ho-hum ride from the stock wheelset that came with the bike. I switched to Shimano's tubeless D-A's when my riding partner failed to point out a pothole - I nailed it, and it dented my rear Bontrager Race X Lite rim, rendering it completely useless. It was the second time in 6 years that I'd destroyed a Bonti, and figured it was time to give something else a try.

The guys at my LBS had widely varying opinions on Ksyrium SL's, which I thought would me a solid choice. In the end, though, one of the managers was so passionate about his love for his "race day wheels" that he convinced me to go the tubeless route. I'm so glad he did.

Shortly after getting the wheels, Trek replaced my frame that had earlier developed a small crack in the seat tube. Adding these rims to the 2010 5.9 Madone was a match made in heaven. The responsiveness of the bike is amazing, yet it's never harsh. The carbon part of the rim and slightly lower inflated pressure (I run them at 100 PSI) will smooth out all but the worst of road surfaces. Climbing is now enjoyable for me, practically effortless, and when I mash the pedals, the bike surges ahead of my riding buddies (all of whom have a lot more time to train than I do...boy do I love passing them and seeing the angry looks on their faces!

Similar Products Used: Bontrager Race X Lite
Mavic Ksyrium SL
Flashpoint 60's
Emery Kozak   Recreational Rider [Jan 08, 2010]
Strength:

Feel FAST & are smooth rolling.

TubeLess ready out of the box.

Fairly lightweight. Good looks & graphics.

You get to run ridiculous low pressure (90-95 psi) with no drawbacks. In fact TubeLess tires ride very harsh with pressures over 110 psi & don't roll any faster.

IM looking into conveting a couple of my other wheel sets to TubeLess. I really like the ride with the tires & lower pressure.

For all the hype & cost, the Carbon wheel set is only 20 grams lighter than the alloy Scandium wheel set.

I have both types & weighed them right out the box. Just the bare wheels. The rear wheels are exactly the same weight & the carbon front wheel is only 20 grams lighter.

Basically it's just a carbon wrapped Scandium rim with some alloy removed & carbon reinforcement added.

This technically isn't a weakness, but I purchased the Carbon wheel set to replace the Scandium wheel set, while retaining the tubeless capability, in the hopes of reducing weight.

In summery you’ll pay $400 more to save 20 grams over the Scandium set.

While building my new dream bike I wanted to try out all the new technologies available. Starting with a S WORKS SL3 frameset, Compact gearing, Di2 shifting, & TubeLess tires.

I originally purchased the Shimano WH7850 SL Scandium wheel set in Sept 09 because the carbon WH7850 C24 TL was out of stock.

Complete, my new bike was 15.2 lbs. I order to break the 15 lbs barrier I thought I had to have the Carbon wheel set. More on that in the Weaknesses section.

I mounted Hutchinson Atom TubeLess tires on both sets of wheels. I used no tools & just worked the tire around the rim with my hands & thumbs. The last couple inches were tough, but if you push the bead towards the center of the rim around the wheel the last little bit will pop on.

I used no sealant & just inflated the tires with an air compressor. The tires inflated instantly & the bead seated on the rim making popping sounds, just like a car tire.

I was amazed how long they retain air. I normally use ultra lite butyl or latex tubes on all my other wheel sets. They are noticeably softer after a week. The TubeLess Atoms are still rock hard after a month!

Similar Products Used: I have numerous wheel sets, but none of them are tubeless, or converted, yet.....