Shimano RS-80 wheelsets - clincher

RS-80

LM53x11   [Oct 04, 2014]
Strength:

Look nice. Attractive price compared to other, comparable, name-brand wheels.

Alloy outer rim only 'bonded' to carbon inner ring. Spokes terminate in the carbon ring, not the alloy outer rim.

If the 'bond' between the outer alloy rim and the inner carbon ring fails (mine did), the result could be a serious crash and injury (like a fractured pelvis). Don't buy. Stay safe.

Ralph Percival   [Jul 31, 2013]
Strength:

Nice light wheelset that performed well on outset

The rear wheel carbon outer on the rim failed whist braking at 35mph down a mountain in France. Result was very buckled wheel (seized up in forks it was so bent) damaged spokes and outer carbon rim partially detached from wheel. Lucky to be alive as was on a hairpin at time with deep ravine looming !!! Suspect the wheel over heated which should not have had this impact on such a high spec wheel.

Can't say I have any confidence in this wheelset anymore. Interested if anyone else has had a similar failure

mauricio lepe   [Nov 29, 2012]
Strength:

Seem to have all the strength I need.

none that I have read.

Okay so I've been doing a lot of research on the perfect wheel for my specialized Allez sport 2013 and came to the conclusion that this is the best wheel for my price range ($500) I have not purchase these wheels yet due to lack of fund. I weight 185 pounds and after reading all these reviews and seeing that some heavier rider were able to put a ton of miles without breaking a spoke I was SOLD! I was scared that the low spoke count would be an issue with my weight, specially the front being 16, I guess the carbon absorbs most of the pounding. I was first looking at the Pro Lite Bracciano at first, they weight on the 1400 gram range and for $399 plus shipping of their websites it was a steal. They also got nothing but good reviews other then a few saying the cogs dig in the free hub to easy, that kind of threw me off. I really trust Shimano on their quality (they have been doing it for a long time) You really can't go wrong with a dura ace carbon/alloy hoop and ultegra hubs! If these wheels do me right I will later on upgrade to the dura ace version to this wheel and pay the extra money for the titanium freehub :) I will come back I na free months after I get it and ride the shiiiiiiit out of them lol. See you all soon

Richard   Road Racer [Oct 21, 2012]
Strength:

Great value
Reliability

I used these wheels for almost 5,000 miles last year without any problems. I had them re-tensioned and trued once - pretty good considering a 200lb rider. I used a set of Mavik Aksiums and a set of Bontrager X Lites before these, they both flexed much more than these and were also heavier (and cheaper). There really aren't any other bomb proof ~1500g wheelsets that I could find for this value.

Matt   [Sep 16, 2012]
Strength:

Fast
Comfortable Ride
Look good

Upgraded from my stock Mavic Aksiums. I've been blown away by the speed the difference. Depending the ride (rollers or flats) I've picked up 1.2 mph to 2.0 mph in my average speed. A much larger difference then the frame upgrade a couple of years ago. They're also a very comfortable ride. Responsive but not a harsh ride.

Paul   [Aug 01, 2012]
Strength:

Weight - stiffness - carbon construction.

Red nipples - had to true after 4 rides - hard to feel benefits of carbon - rim lacks aerodynamics boxy

Switched from ksyrium elites to the rs-80 wheels. After 6 rides it is hard to tell any major difference. The shimano wheels are a bit more harsh/staff. The front wheel needs to be tried slightly. Possibly a bit better climbing, descending speed a little faster. Worth considering. Wish the rim was more aero.

bob   Road Racer [Oct 10, 2011]
Strength:

cheap,look good,somewhat light.

junky hubs,get untrue fast,all in all a headache

I bought the shimano rs80 wheel set because they looked good on paper and had descent reviews and they didn't seam so different then the dura ace 1380, but alas you get what you pay for. The finish on the wheels is not great at all compared to the dura ace that's finished with perfection. SO I said to my self oh well so much for that but if they ride like a dream who cares about the looks well it seams that the looks are not the only defect with these wheels the hubs were not so smooth and just got worse and worse as time went by so I sent them back to shimano and got a new pair of rs80 well they had same problems as the first ones I tried to tune the hubs my self and it improved them a bit. but not for long. Since then I have seen about 10 pairs of them some new in bike shops and some on friends bikes with the same problem and some with other problems too all in all just shell out the extra cash and get yourself the DURA ACE WHEEL SET

Similar Products Used: fulcrum 0, dura ace 1380 hed ardennes
cyclingmollie   Recreational Rider [Jan 25, 2011]
Strength:

Reduced rim weight/angular momentum impart a feeling of lightness to the handling of a bike which has previously had heavy wheels. They have a good weight/strength/value ratio. They look good.

The spokes probably need to be ordered.

The roads in East Lothian really need a strong wheelset. I used Mavic Open Pro and Ultegra hubs but knew I could improve my bike with lighter rims. I chose the RS80s over Ksyriums and Fulcrums because they seemed to get better reviews. The RS80s make the bike feel lighter i.e. the lighter rim reduces the inertia of the front wheel making changes in direction noticeably easier. That makes the bike "feel lighter" though the real weight reduction over the old wheels was only a total of 300 grams. I expected the higher tension of the spokes to transfer more road buzz but that isn't the case. The aero spokes make no appreciable difference to top speed. And compared to the improvement in handling the improvement in acceleration and climbing is much less obvious though if I try hard I can probably convince myself of them. The wheels look nicely understated so they won't look too out of place on an older bike.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Open Pro and Ultegra hubs hand-built.
Shimano RS500s.
Tommy Walker   Recreational Rider [Aug 30, 2010]
Strength:

Lightweight, affordable, makes climbing easy, spins up nicely and handles very well.

At this price, none

The RS80's are a great deal if you want an upgraded wheelset than the stock wheels that came on your bike and don't want to spend a lot of money. I put 700ccx 25 tires on them and they handle extrememly well and make climbing much easier. I wanted the aluminum braking surface. This is really all the wheel I will ever need for the riding I do.

Similar Products Used: Ultegra 6600, Shimano RS10's
PTK "Eirerider"   Road Racer [Jul 10, 2010]
Strength:

- Much bigger in performance for the money you pay
- The stiffness is impressive in ALL categories of road riding
- Yes they DO climb well at approx 1550g +/- (they'll never be in the same category as wheels that cost so much more, but they're not a million miles off either!)
- Yes the carbon laminate DOES soak up road shocks, even though it's not a 'true' carbon wheel. I've tested this as I was curious, so I've been impressed.
- The hubs/bearings in Shimano wheels have always been fairly good. So are these as they spin nicely.

- Not the most striking-looking wheels ever but so what - the subtle graphics and overall finish is nice and well packaged.
- Like any wheel after the first 'real' test and/or 200km of good racing, it may need a quick trip to your local bike shop for the slightest of truing and hub check. Is that a weakness...?
- No, they are NOT in the same league as super lightweight performance climbing wheels, but those wheel types will NEVER be bombproof. Shimano RS 80s are closer to that label by a long shot.

I've got the latest RS 80s for training, and I'll be using them next week in a 5-day stage race in the Pyrenees (July 2010). Why? Robustness and all-round performance GUARANTEED. I can't get my pro wheelset for the race (long story) but I'm not bothered.
Putting aside Shimano's initial foray into wheel production (!!), they're starting to get there. Really, they are. (And I'm not big on Shimano groupsets anymore so there's no promotion going on here.) Shimano RS 80s are testament to that. Think of them as the equivalent of Kysrium SLs but without the troublesome hub issues.
The reviews here right are on the money, as you say. I used an earlier RS prototype version last year and they were good. Very good. I even had two victories on them on Polish roads - a massive and very messy sprint, the other was a breakaway on a very steep climb (14-25%). No joke. I was delighted.

Similar Products Used: - MAVIC Kysrium SLs (three pairs, used together for racing/training for 9 years, which were amazing in performance except for the (bad) hubs