Shimano WH-7850-C24-CL wheelsets - clincher

Shimano WH-7850-C24-CL wheelsets - clincher

• Patent Pending Shimano construction for a new level of carbon-alloy strength/weight
  • New titanium freehub body w/quick engagement
  • New wider flange hub and offset rim for rigidity and increased power transmission
  • Shimano quality proven angular contact bearings with oversize 7075 alloy axles
  • Rim wear indicator allows safe detection of worn rim
  • Weight : 1,370g (pair)

• USER REVIEWS

[Apr 14, 2014]
    JerseyGeoff

Strength:

durability combined with light weight- pretty sure there is nothing else out there as durable at this weight point

not cheap- you get what you pay for. I have around 8-10,000 recreational miles on them and I do not see any significant wear on the aluminum strips( they have a wear indicator)- but suspect that will govern lifespan.

I have not regrets- I hate a nondurable part on my bikes and these wheels are holding up great. They appear to be a little quicker than my old Bontrager Race X-lites( those lasted 35,000 miles), and I think just a little smoother too. Worth the money if you ride long miles.

Bontrager Race X-Lites, Mavic Open Pro 's

[Sep 28, 2012]
    Hicks

Strength:

Light, smooth, confidence on downhill

Rear wheel often out of true

I bought an entry level CAAD8 and rode it for a year with the original cheap wheels. After changing to C24's it was like a revelation: enlightenment and joy. Because I know nothing else, I have up with the wheel truing problem, and after getting tired of taking to the LBS, I got handy with the spoke wrenches. Finally a few months ago, I just tried tightening up all the the spokes on the rear tire about 50%. After that the problem subsided greatly; I now just do a minor re-tune every 2000 km or so, a few times a year.

[Apr 26, 2012]
    Eric Hermosura

Strength:

Light, takes out road vibration, bombproof as far as "light" wheel sets go.

Price, but if you're buying these you know what you're getting with durability and dependability.

As bombproof a light wheel can get. I'm 165 lbs. and these have remained true even with going downhill and blasting a pot hole that made my tires/tube blow out. I've been on these for close to 2 years and have not had a problem with them. Pretty stiff and does a fair job of taking out road vibration, it helps that I ride a Cervelo R3. I'm on the road 3-6 days a week and these are my standard wheels. If you buy'em you might as well use them. If you ride these for a long time you forget how nice they ride, until you swap these wheels out. These make you smile when you go on a ride.

Easton EA90, Shimano C50, Neuvation R28

[Mar 26, 2012]
    Chainstay

Strength:

Light, great value, solid feel on twisty descents, Aluminium braking surface, quality Dura Ace hubs and free-wheel body, quiet free-wheel body, seem to roll fast, holding up well under lots of rough use

If you want a cushy ride there may be more suitable wheels out there

I have put about 8000km on these wheels and have grown to love them. They remain as true as when I bought them. They are light but very solid to descend on so they make a great climbing wheels. Hubs and free-wheel body are outstanding Dura Ace quality. I much prefer the Al braking surface to carbon fibre, especially for long descents.

I found they transmitted a bit more road shock than my previous Ksyrium SL's but it felt like they rolled faster

Ksyrium SL

[Dec 31, 2011]
    rockwallabi

Strength:

Light, strong, true and dollar for dollar best value wheels that have I ridden.

Still waiting

I am 75kg and ride 4000km per year - all sealed roads but with usual debris, glass, speed humps, kerbs etc. Either Michelin Prorace 3s and Conti GP4000s used. No broken spokes unlike my Eastons. Good braking. Occasional groan when accelerating from slow speeds.

Easton EA70
    Easton EA90SLX
    Mavic Aksium
    American Classic

[Jun 16, 2011]
    volosong

Strength:

very lightweight, (claimed 1368gm)
    strong
    stays true

nothing so far

Before purchase, I was concerned about my weight, (205 lb.), and if a 16/20 wheelset could support me. After several months of use, these wheels are great. No negative issues at all. The roads I ride are pretty rough in spots, and the wheels have stayed as true as the day I pulled them out of the box. I would not hesitate to purchase these wheels again.

Vuelta Team Super Light (also great wheels)
    Bontrager SSR (said to be throw-away wheels, but they work fine for me)

[Feb 06, 2011]
    Dickie Blench

Strength:

True, fast and stiff
    Look cool and lightweight

Hubs are not smooth enough. Could be improved.

I've been using these now for 2 years and they are a solid wheelset. I'm light (70KG) so my wheels generally last but have been impresssed with how stiff they are and they run true now as they did when new. Only complaint is the hubs don't run nearly as well as my campag wheels which are older and have taken a battering.

mavic SSC SL
    campag zonda

[Sep 18, 2010]
    Jim Burke

Problems with sharp inside wheels. Cheap parts. No support on getting replacement parts.

I have ridden on Shimano's for two years. I had an unexplained blowout about a year ago ridding down a hill. I was injured and have had a succession of flats and blowouts on my Shimano rims. I have tried to get replacement parts and Shimano does not allow customers to order directly. I have been to four bike shops...none of them follow through with my request for replacement parts. Basically, they want you to buy new rims rather than get replacement parts. I am done with Shimano permanently.

[Aug 30, 2010]
    pacob48

Strength:

smooth rolling, rigid; absorb a lot of the harshness of my aluminum Cannondale; cornering

I am recreational but I like riding fast and make some sustained and significant effort.
    I couldn't help but be impressed by all the positive reviews. I have used Rol Volant wheels which are stiff, light and compared to the Mavic Open Pro with 32 spokes I had been using prior to the Volant, quite a bit faster and more responsive though not as comfortable.

And I was enticed by all of the comments about wheels being the most significant up-grade for a bike. I had been thinking about the tubeless 7850s but because of the great price and simplicity, decided to go with the CL's.

I am glad I did. These are very smoothly operating wheels. Using my own very non-scientific test, the CL's rolled about twice as long as the Volants. But I can't say they are faster than the Volants. The CL's are more stable in the corners, have no flex under my 180 body weight and are much more comfortable.

They do take some break in time but not a huge amount. At first I was a little worried about how they didn't roll freely.

Like one guy said, just buy them. You'll be glad you did. For anyone wanting to spend 300, the Volants are a great wheel.

Mavic Open Pro; Rol Volant

[Jul 01, 2010]
    billium

Strength:

*Build Quality
    *Not effected by crosswinds
    *Quiet
    *Ride Quality
    *Weight
    *Aluminum braking surface = no special pads
    *Shimano warranty
    *Lack of weight limits
    *Stealthy appearance
    *Build Quality (I know, but it's worth repeating)

*What's the deal with red nipples?
    *Pricey (if you pay anywhere near retail)
    *If you like lots of stickers on your wheels, you will be disappointed.

For some perspective: I'm 50 yr old, 6' & 155 lbs. I'm a spinner, not a masher. Ride near 4,000 miles annually for a couple decades now.

Have near 2,000 miles on these wheels. Michelin Aircomp Ultra Light's & Vittoria Open Corsa EVO-CX (both 290 & newer 330 tpi's) are mounted to all my wheelsets, aired to 105-110 PSI.

Daily wheelset have been Ksyrium's, SSC SL's for the past 5+ years.

First thing I noticed is how true both front and rear were out of box. I run brake pads at pretty close tolerances, so notice this quickly (and being an eBay purchase, I scrutinized closely when received).

The next thing I noticed is how stable the wheels are in any type of crosswind due to the low rim profile and non-bladed spokes. Riding Ksyriums for years, I'd taken for granted just how "sail" like they are in even minor gusts.

Third thing is just how quiet these are compared to my Ksyriums. Both from a wind noise and the mechanical pawl noise from the rear.

Fourth, is that I've had zero issues with out-of-true. Nada. Zip (not Zipp). Shimano warranty's these for 3 years and puts no weight limits on them. Every set of Ksyrium's I've owned have had to be trued, two comlpletely disassembled and reassembled with lock-tight.

Fifth, the ride compared to the Ksyrium's is much more gentle. Being blunt, the Ksyrium's just beat me up on rides of over 50 miles.

Being a lightweight spinner, I don't notice any "stiffness" issues, other than the quality of the ride.

I'd buy them again in a heartbeat. Rated 4 for value based on MSRP. Most will pay significantly less, which would earn a 5 for value.

6 different sets of Ksyrium's