Shimano WH-R540 wheelsets - clincher

Shimano WH-R540 wheelsets - clincher

[Aug 14, 2018]
coondogger

Strength:

Strong. Stays in true. Came with the bike, a 2004 Specialized Roubaix Comp which I bought new. Fewer spokes but I’m 150 lbs so it’s never concerned me. I’m in northern New England where the roads are appallingly bad, so these wheels have been used hard. Still no problems in 14 years.

Not the lightest wheelset. Reduced spoke number might be offputting to a heavy rider.

Purchased:
New
Model Year:
2004
[May 12, 2015]
W. Pastorius

Strength:

I have had my rims now for 11 years and they are still going strong. I keep reading reviews on how weak they are for heavy riders, but I weigh 188 and have never had an issue with these rims. They are extremely durable and I would recommend these to anyone.

They are a heavier rim, but you make up for that with how aero these rims are..

Great rims and I can't and haven't found a reason to say something bad about them. They look great on any bike too. You can't go wrong with these rims and I've been happy with them since day one! I would recommend to anyone to use as a trainer or commuting rim. I have used them in multiple races and haven't noticed a difference...

[Sep 18, 2014]
Paul

Strength:

Nice look - good aero dynamics

Somewhat heavy

I am in the market for a second set to be able to change tires quickly

[Sep 21, 2012]
Tom Stricklin

Strength:

I am 200lbs, I got these rims used, spokes rusting from being stored, I ride hard and fast in southern California. These rims roll better than most, I can just tuck and accelerate past those on expensive bikes and wheels. I am just now having trouble with the rear losing tru, but I am working on in, considering replacing spokes. I have hit pot holes hard with these with no problem.

I can't find a weakness.

Love these rims, strong and straight.

[Sep 25, 2011]
Jason

Strength:

Solid construction. Look aerodynamic

Lack of rear spokes (just 20) has always made me a little nervous when I'm 175lb. Nothing to justify that yet though...

I've been running these wheels on my road bike for 8 years now without a problem. I've had a few pinchflats (through carelessness on my part) but have yet to repair a spoke or true the wheels - they've been rock solid.

[Mar 13, 2010]
triokie

Strength:

The entire Wheel, Hubs, Bearing, spokes are very stong and the wheel is Very Fast and aerodynamic.

None except the cheap Shimano labels have peeled off.

I bought a Giant TCR Aero 2 in 2004 and the wheels came stock on the bike. Since then I have ridden over 25,000 miles on rough Oklahoma roads and have never had a problem with the wheels, spokes or hubs. These wheels are really fast in windy conditions and we have lots of wind here in Oklahoma). In stong 40-50mph cross winds the wind goes right through the wheels and catches almost no wind, much less than normal spoked wheels. I wieght 175 pounds and have hit many pot holes and have snake bit the inner tubes but the wheels have held up, they are very stong.

[Jul 24, 2009]
tkracing55

Look

Flex

Can't say I'm really the most experience rider to comment on these rims, but I'm finding heaps of flex with these rims, so much that my speedo sensor is hitting the beacon on my fork when I start sprinting really hard. I bought the bike for $650 rims where on it already, so really for a first time bike I'm not complaining too much. I have ridden on better rims and when you sprint you can feel that the power isn't being absorb so much. These rims would be better for someone commuting not for training or racing.

Oh and I haven't broken a spoke yet. (Fingers Cross)

Mavic Ksyrium SL Mavic on OPPY Legend

[Jul 21, 2009]
Laccci

Strength:

Good rotation, aerodynamics, no problems with the front wheel :). A cheaper solution for amateurs.

Rear wheel - spokes. Useless.
Getting new spokes in time (especially if you break more than one) is extremely hard (in Budapest at least).
I don't feel them really stiff.

Now I have Really Bd Experiences with this wheel set, but I try to be objective.

My parameters: 175cm, 67kg (not the biggest guy ever seen), amateur cyclist.

I bought them a year ago together with my bike - both were used, but not much.
After a few hundred kms one rear spoke felt itself more comfortable in two pieces: I moved the bike sideways while I was standing on the ground over my bike. After this, I used the wheels with care.
Despite avoiding most of the potholes, today (21.08.09) I broke 4(!!) rear spokes at the same time. It wasn't a pothole or else that made it but only an almost zero-speed turn and the following acceleration. It happened after about 1500-2000 km.

In a nutshell: The front wheel is great for me but if you want to keep it replace the rear one somehow!

(Vuelta Airline 4 for cycling in the city)

[Oct 31, 2008]
blundy@northsideind.ca

Strength:

Aerodynamics, durability - these have been maintenance free and bomb proof for me. I ended up dumping my mavic carbones as I just couldn't justify the cost since I would ride these in training, and switch to the mavics in races - I found no noticable advantage to riding the 1500.00 carbon wheelset - other than maybe a slight comfort advantage...and I'm a gear-head/brand hound, I like the best on my bike, but I just couldn't argue the economics.

Weight, not really well suited to road racing if riding in groups where there's drafting.

I bet most people don't know these have a lower drag coefficient than a set of Zip 404's. OK, I can hear all of you saying "yeh right" look it up, an engineer at UBC did a study on wheelset aerodynamics. I've run these for almost 5 years, have never broken a spoke and I've beat the living snot out of them, I'm 175lbs. They are heavy, but the aero advantage makes up for that on all but a very hilly course.

Mavic Cosmic Carbone

[Oct 03, 2008]
bikesmelly

Strength:

Good wheels for someone who is hard on wheels. Strong, durable, decent riding wheel, looks fast.

spokes are hard to get if you break one in the middle of nowhere. They are not as pretty as Kyseriums on your car rack.

These are the best wheels I have used to date. I'm a commuter and have put over 10,000 mi. on them and have had few problems. I have had to replace a broke spoke which are hard to come by. I dropped a front wheel in a storm drain at 20+mph which stopped me (175#)instantly. After waking up in the e-room a couple of hour later, the front wheel was still as true as new. I thought it would have collapsed. I'm finally going to retire them to my winter wheels after breaking a couple spokes bunny-hopping a ditch.