Shimano WH-R560 wheelsets - clincher

• 16 bladed spokes front, 20 rear

• USER REVIEWS

[Aug 31, 2012]
    GazMan

Strength:

Discernible performance improvement over previous WH500 and Ambrosio WS23's. Run with Conti GP4000s tires and the combo is excellent. I'm 6'1" and 220lb and these handle my weight and riding no problem. Definitely faster acceleration, climbing I've moved back to a 11-26t from a 11-28t and I'm still okay, descents are much quicker. My riding buddies are now thinking of go-faster bits to haul in my new performance edge. Old school cup 'n cone bearings are easy to adjust and get just right for easy rolling. I'm impressed with these Shimano's.

None so far.

These are good for sure, I can't imagine what the Dura-ace's must be like. Would I buy them again - you bet.
    Would I recommend them...that's what I'm doing right here.

[May 15, 2011]
    Fit4Life

Strength:

Reliable
    Durable
    Performance

A little on the heavy side for 16/20 spoke wheels.

I have found these wheels offer a great deal of performance for the price. With over 5000 miles on them, they needed only slight truing at the end of last season. The rims are 20.8 mm wide, most others are 19. This decreases rolling resistance and enhances cornering since the tire does not flop over. These wheels are faster than others I have that are 30mm tall and weight 1600 gm and twice the cost.

[Aug 07, 2008]
    tanyanmatt@hotmail.com

Strength:

Strength!

Maybe weight?

I have used these tires for about 12 months, they came with the bike, and man are they are tough! I've had a couple of minor get offs including hitting a slotted drain cover at about 40kph. I bounced about a foot into the air and left a heap of skin and flesh on the road but the wheels were fine. They needed very minor panel beating and adjustment of a couple of spokes and good as new. I am happy with the performance and responsiveness but to be honest have never ridden much on other wheels, so maybe I just dont know what I am missing?

[Jul 12, 2008]
    saintsfan342000

Strength:

-Durability
    -Spoke nipples are on the hub, which ever so slightly reduces the moment of inertia. A neat trick of engineering, but whether or not it makes a non-trivial difference I do not know.
    -Stainless steel spokes (only way to go!)
    -Nicely machined breaking surface

I have been thoroughly impressed with these wheels. Before I bought my bike a year ago I read many reviews on this site of the wheels that are common on bikes in the $1-1.5k price range, and many of those reviews were negative, so I did not know what to expect. These have been excellent however.

Best part: Durability! I've hit some mondo potholes...seriously. The roads in Austin, TX are lousy, yet these wheels have held up remarkably.

I suffered the unfortunate experience once of having my frame pump fall out of its place on the downtube and go through the spokes of my front wheel and hit the fork. One spoke is now very slightly bent, and I do notice a minute wobble in the wheel now indicating that it has gone out of true, but that was three months ago and I still have yet to get it fixed because my retailer is 3 hours away and there is no immediate need for repair.

I can't compare this to other wheelsets, so I have no idea how they serve as racing wheels, nor do I know whether these are considered "stiff wheels", but they are as good a stock wheel as I could have asked for.

I am mostly a rec rider but I've recently started doing some CAT5 crits. I don't win, but that surely has nothing to do with these wheels, but rather the bike's engine's lack of speed and stamina.

None...being that this C'dale is my first road bike and I am still running these stock wheels, I have nothing to compare it to...so take my vote of 5 as simply a statement of my satisfaction and a complete lack of issues with these wheels.

[Feb 21, 2008]
    Petervermeer

Strength:

Cheap, good quality

weakness in corners

Bought this as a trainingswheel. The wheel is perfect for this goal. For more professional racing the wheel is to weak.

[Dec 25, 2007]
    Clevor

Strength:

Super technology at a bargain price. Looks to be a very durable, aerodynamic, wheelset. 1790 gms not too bad for this price category.

Decals can peel off easily. Plain silver so no bling (except high-tech looking hubs). Hubs jumbo-sized so don't look high end.

Needed a cheap set of wheels for my trainer. Bought it based on reviews on this site. When I received the wheelset, the rims were so wide and beefy I thought I made a mistake and they were ATB wheels! Nice build quality; very cleanly drilled spoke access holes without sharp edges. Beefy spoke 'knot' at rim end.

Wow! The technology on this wheelset is the same as Shimano's $2,000 deep dish carbon tubulars: low spoke count and nipples at the hub for aerodynamics; this also reduces rotating weight. Rear hub flanges are so wide in diameter spoke length is short. Both are optimum for maintaining wheel stiffness. Radial lacing on the front with radial on the rear on the drive side looks trick.

Easton Circuits, Mavic Elites, Campy Boras/Neutrons, HED Stingers, Ligero custom.

[Dec 15, 2007]
    Jon Nelmes

Strength:

Great build quality, Bladed spokes, and smooth rolling bearings for the price. Removed the decals straight away and reckon they look great in just plain silver.

None for the price. Not the lightest wheels by any stretch but fine for the job.

Purchased for winter training bike after wearing out the rime on Mavic Cosmos (after 5 years). Great set of budget hoops, stayed true over 6 months of abuse and build quality seems high for the price. Stiff, fast and comfy enough for the job

Mavic COSMOS

[Jul 22, 2007]
    brian2

Strength:

Perform like wheels that cost 3 to 4 times as much
    Bombproof
    Butted/Bladed spokes nice touch at this price point

Decals/stickers will come loose (however, they are on my rain bike)
    Not exactly stop you in your tracks sexy

These wheels came with my 06 Orbea Orca. (They had to cheap down the kit spec somehow). Didn't like their looks on that bike so I put them on my rain/backup Cannondale R1000. After over 1500 foul weather/rough road K's, I have had no problems with these wheels whatsoever. They are still true and rollout smooth-I am a Clydesdale at 5'10 and 220. These replaced Ksyrium Elites on my Cannondale and I have noticed no appreciable difference in ride quality save the Shimano's are more flexy under extreme load (think Clydesdale hammering uphill!) I have seen this wheelset offered for under $200. I am just about to order another set because for the money, I don't think they can be beat for training/touring/everyday wandering.

Ksyrium Elite
    Easton Orion

[May 27, 2007]
    Michael

Strength:

Very strong. So far, no need to true the wheels. No spokes breaking.

I'm sure the combined radial/laced spoke set-up for the back wheel makes sense (after all, it works), but why it makes sense is mysterious.

These wheels came with the 2006 Scattante CFR that I recently purchased. I have ridden about 400 miles so far and I am very pleased with the wheels - up to now I have just been a commuter and I think have developed bad habits as far as being hard on wheels, but so far despite taking (unintentionally) several stuff jolts, these wheels have not shown any problems.

Mavic wheels on REI commuter bike that starting having spokes break after 100 miles.

[Jan 05, 2007]
    baldykav

Strength:

Sturdy, fast for price, have stayed true over 1500 k's and beyond, Have taken some big hits and stood up to the challenge.

none as of yet.

Bought these as the first (and probably last) upgrade onto a stock Giant OCR3. The effect that these wheels had on the bikes performance was incredible considering the price they cost. They are infinitely more sturdy than the stock, and instantly increased my average speed! They are solid, durable and for the pice your paying, dynamic! Only negative is that the stickers began to peel after about 2 days (I'd like to think that's due to speed and not glue...). Highly recommended upgrade onto a low-mid priced bike. Especially for commuters!

For commuting....Rigida flyer (stock), WHR550's,