Shimano WH-R600 wheelsets - clincher

• Aluminum Freehub Body

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 16, 2013]
    Nelson

Strength:

durable, stable.

kinda heavy

the wheels came with my specialized allez. i got no problem despite putting more than 1,000 miles on them.it is smooth and silent.

i used to have an araya

[Oct 13, 2011]
    bogibear

Strength:

Remained completely true and have been pretty much bulletproof. No broken spokes (I weigh about 200lbs).

Prone to cracking, a friend of mine had a similar set and hers cracked as well.

Wheelset came with my 2007 Specialized Roubaix Expert. The seem to roll well and have decent durability. I have about 8500 miles on the set before being forced to replace them due to cracks on the rear rim. They have kept complete true over their lifetime. I had to replace the cones on the rear wheel after about the first 500 miles. I If I got a set for free, I wouldn't turn them down but wouldn't spend a lot on a new set. Replaced them with a set of Ksyrium Elites.

Mavic

[Jun 28, 2011]
    scott

Strength:

shiny, quiet, aero, comfortable ride.

stickers come off, seem to be flexy, spokes rub after hard braking (twangy noises). relatively heavy but who cares?

I bought these wheels to replace my mavic kysrium equipes on my tarmac expert. They don't inspire me, but they have never gone out of true. the bearings on the kysrium's went after 2 months in some occasional wet weather, wtf? These have been hassle free, but are heavy. I like the way they look. very quiet and seem to provide a very comfortable ride. I've taken them to ride the tour de france twice (select sections in the alps and pyrenees). I weigh 190 and ride a lot. THey did rub the brakes cornering at 80 km/h down alp d'huez. I wonder if my new mavic elite's will do better this year?
    Boring ride, smooth bearings, shiny and look nice, I'm probably wasting some energy with them...

alex 200 rims, easton slx, mavic kysrium equipe, zero.

[Jul 26, 2009]
    Mark Rishniw

Strength:

Solid rims - stay true.
    Relatively cheap.

Flexy under load (climmbing).

Wheelset came on the Orbea Opal 2006 Tour of Cali model. The wheels are adequate, but the biggest thing I noticed (and I'm about 175 lb) is lateral flex on climbs under power - the rims consistently touched the brake pads. They weren't terribly "responsive" - maybe because of the deeper rims putting more rolling mass on the outside of the wheel.
    On the plus side, I have never had a spoke break on them, never had to true them, and the bearings seem pretty smooth.

I just upgraded to new (2009) Ksyrium SLs and have noticed the difference in stiffness.

Ksyrium SL
    Mavic Heliums (90s model)

[May 13, 2009]
    climberoleg

Strength:

Front wheel is excellent no problems ever and I use it on both my road bike and fixie. It has lots of miles. Nice bearings, quiet.

Rear wheel design flaw with spokes. Weight. Reliability. Shimano.

Where can I begin. I initially bought these wheels with the intention of getting better ones in the future and using these for training etc. However, I don't know if they are cursed, but my American Classic rear wheel has seen a lot more road time and that was supposed to sit there and look pretty for the big days. I have had 4 broken spokes on this thing and they are a really hassle to replace. Each time I have to get the spokes ordered and the wheel re-trued. I do not recommend purchasing these or the ultegra wheelset. The ultegra wheelset is the same it's just not OEM like these are. I am giving this wheelset at 2 because the front wheel makes up for the rear.

[Apr 29, 2009]
    da

Strength:

Solid wheel, very durable,

Not the lightest.

Came stock on my Allez. I've ridden about 1800 miles on them and had no issues. I do a canyon ride at least 1/week in the mountains around Salt Lake City and have not had any problems. I'm about 180lbs and haven't noticed any flexing except maybe on sharp corners at high speeds going down hill. I've had no maintenance issues with these wheels, never had to true them or heard any popping/breaking spokes.

[Feb 01, 2009]
    Louis Cabeza

Strength:

Shimano hubs
    Not too flexy for a big guy
    Price right now is unbeatable

These are middle of the road, all-around wheelsets. Not super light, but sturdy and light enough for trainers especially at $300/pair. I'm a big guy and they didn't flex too much at all when hitting a big climb. You could do a lot worse and pay twice as much.

I see some of the other reviews have had problems, my gut guess is that they did not have the wheels re-tensioned or at least checked after a couple of weeks of riding. This is SOP for any wheel.

Velocity
    Mavic
    Many others

[Jul 30, 2008]
    recycler51

Strength:

lightweight

wheels can't hold up to moderate stress.

Stock wheels on my Specialized Sequoia Comp. Absolutely love this bike!!! Got it to commute (50 miles round trip) and do some light touring. I weigh 225 lbs and mostly ride the Suncoast Trail north of Tampa which is FLAT!!! I cruise at about 18 mph and no hills to speak of. I have broken three spokes in the last 5 rides. First spoke cost $25!! to replace... wtf!!! now two more just broke. After reading the other reviews here seems like a pattern. These wheels are worthless DO NOT BUY!!! I put an old pair of FSA wheels on the sequoia and it still feels great and rides fast.

FSA, biult a set of Campy wheels back in 1986 and rode them for 20 years with no problems (until the rear axle broke)

[May 29, 2008]
    rod carter

Strength:

Relatively light for the price, siff , durable.

Can only use shimano 10 cassettes. Not for fat people.

I have about 3000 miles on these , only 1 broken spoke at initial setup with about 2 miles on them I put the chain over the cassette (oops). Replaced it and have had NO problems since. I have ridden these on some big climbs and some beat roads and never have had to true them. They are very stiff out of the saddle more so than my easton orions.

open pros , easton orions , fsa rd400 ,alx320 ...

[May 27, 2008]
    Dave

Strength:

spokes, hub, can't find replacement parts

These wheels came on my Specialized Roubaix Expert. So far I've had nothing but issues with them. I'm a small rider (5'7", 150 lbs) but have so far broken 4 spokes in the rear, all on the non-drive side. Nobody carries the spokes or the nipples that fit the hub! The bearing caps came bent and rub the rim. Shimano won't replace them. I have a set of FSA wheels and broke those, but it was a design issue and FSA replaced them right away (2 days!).

FSA RD400, RD600, Mavic Krysium