Spinergy Rev - X wheelsets - clincher

Spinergy Rev - X wheelsets - clincher

• Weight, front: 860g (700c clincher)
  • Weight, rear: 1040g (700c clincher)
  • Spoke type: Four pre-stressed sets of carbon spokes.
  • Rim type: 6061-T6 Aluminum
  • Available sizes: Clincher in 700c and 650c.
  • Compatibilities: Shimano 8- and 9-speed freehub

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 17, 2014]
    Heavy Rider

Strength:

Comfortable, Stiff, Fast, did I mention Comfortable? Great for higher speeds as they love to keep going. Great fit for riders with lower cadences. My particular wheels are incredibly strong and durable... and thank goodness, because I have weighed as heavy as 250lbs!

Can flex on abrupt hard turns and do suffer from serious crosswinds, recommend using only on non-windy days. Also, they take a little more oomph to get going because of their weight.

I purchased these wheels in 2009 (ten year old wheels!) and I have grown to appreciate them over the past five. The wheels really do a great job of smoothing out the ride, but at the same time have great responsiveness. I am no expert, but they are really high performance wheels. I have a titanium bike that is extremely responsive, and these wheels make my bike go really really fast... and did I mention the ride was really comfortable? I know there are lighter wheels (like my mavic es anniversaries or my vision team 30s) but these wheels are just a lot of fun... and they look really cool... kind of retro nowadays. I really am lucky to have the pair I do have now... they came from a bike fitter/mechanic buddy of mine who regrets ever having sold them to me. His loss. My back wheel uses a higher grade carbon from hexcel. :) lucky me! I do regularly inspect the wheels, and ride a really supple larger volume tire, the 24c Vittoria Diamante Radiale, and it is a really killer combination. Fast and comfortable. In the large scheme of things, I do switch out the front wheel with spoked rims from time to time but wow... the back wheel really is a winner. I haven't had any bearing issues or anything. I do use brake pads designed for carbon wheels.

[Feb 14, 2012]
    Mjluv2bike

Strength:

Strong, durable and very fast on flats and descends

Riding in a strong cross winds with these wheels

I've had these Spinergy Rev X wheelset for years and used them only for very special rides aces when I needed to go fast. They are fast and very strong durable wheels and I have loved riding with these wheels. I've never had a problem with these wheels. They support a 8 or 9speed and I'm transitioning into a new bike and most likely have to part with my mint condition wheels.

[Sep 08, 2009]
    Neil Cochrum

I have a front Rev X and need a rear. Anyone out there want to sell one.. So far I love the look and the performance but need more time on the wheel.

[Aug 30, 2009]
    simo_carlito

Strength:

look cool,rides like heaven,easy to clean..

(in my case);weak rear-axe..

I have the wheels for over ten years now,had no problem with the wheels,but now my rear-axe is broken..is there anyone that has broken their rear-wheel,and who's willing to sell the rear-axe??
    greets eric

[Jul 29, 2008]
    Badger Brewer

Strength:

Hold their top speed very well and feel like they are gliding.

A bit heavier than Zipps or Nimbles.

I have used this wheels for racing and love them. I feel great accleration and they hold speed well with a lot of the weight being on the outside.

I have used Nimble Crosswinds before these I really feel faster on the Rev-X.

I have had no troubles with breakage or handling. I am confident to bend them into a corner at 40mph at the bottom of a hill on the Ironman Wisconsin course.

Nimble Crosswind

[Dec 19, 2007]
    bootysh0x

Strength:

It was one of the cheapest composite wheels on the market.

Broke on a slight downhill with a 90lbs rider.

Well I really did like this wheel as it was quite light and responded well. The aerodynamics were exceptional except for crosswinds stronger than 10mph. I have ridden this wheel on hills where I have gone in excess of 50mph. Luckily on the day I had some failure I was on the flatter part of my commute. When I inspected my wheel after the failure it had broken apart at the hub.

I am a very light rider weighing only 90lbs.

Hed 3 front, Hed Stinger 90

[Nov 06, 2006]
    Satch

Strength:

Stiff, resposive fast acceleration

Cannot be trued and the decal comes off easily.

I purchased my REV X several months ago and I find it very efficient wheelset. It is stiff, resposive and accelerates fast. One thing I like on this wheelset is that I dont feel it slowing you down when you are in freewheel, like it doesn't want to stop. I like the overall performance of this rev x.

Rolf Vector Comp, Tri spoke.

[Nov 05, 2006]
    Satch

Strength:

Responsive, fast and looks very cool.

Cannot be trued.

I have read a lot of cat failure about the wheelset and honestly I'm quite nervous in riding it, however when I get to feel the wheels under my Giant Bike, it really push the bike to its limits. I have experienced a great ride compared to a conventional 32 spoke wheels. Its fast, very responsive, cool pair of wheel.

Rolf vector Comp

[Apr 24, 2006]
    Derrill Stepp

Strength:

High performance on straight flat roads - will improve bike times by 2+ mins over 40K course
    Look pretty cool
    Make an interesting whirling inspirational sound that gives the feeling of going faster than your are.

Winds a problem. If you're not confident on your bike, change out the front in windy conditions.
    Better products on the market for the same price point
    very disturbing supple softness in turns...feels like the spokes are bending.
    Anxiety over reports of catastrophic wheel failture

I'd always wanted a set of racing wheels. So one year I just took the plunge and put them on...the day before long course. Certainly not a decision I'd recommend for most triathletes but what the hell. I have to tell you they blew my socks off. They were so smooth and so fast that I spun out my 54-12 on the downhills. Needless to say I took a good 4 mins off my bike times. That was the late 90's - 2000ish. Since then, I've run the wheels on 3 other occasions...all resulting in the same experience. They are very fast BUT, and this is something to be aware of before purchasing. They handle squirely. Although they are extremely effective on straight roads, they are soft in turns. In a high speed bend in the road, the wheels will actually give a little. It's extremely unsettling and will give you quite the surprise the first few times it happens. The second thing to be aware of...and I've seen it mentioned in other reviews...they are a kite in the wind. These wheels are not for the novice rider and I would recommend against investing in them if you're shopping around. There are a number of quality products on the mark at the same or lower price point. And given the risk of catastrophic failure that many riders who have reported, why risk it? As for me...I ride them once a year and I have never had a problem. So I will continue to race on them. I give them a thorough inspection before and after every ride but have never seen any degeneration.

[Jun 24, 2005]
    Integr8d

Extremely poor customer support. Bought used. Had questions that never got answered. Phone calls never returned. When I'm tired of them, will probably go w/ Zipp.

Don't spin up as fast as stock aluminum wheels. Soak up bumps better. Quieter. Have to watch cross winds. Look great. These came w/ the stiffeners on the rear wheel. Can't say if they make a difference. I've read all the horror stories. These wheels are in pretty good shape. I don't see it happening to them -knock on wood.