Spinergy Spox R1 wheelsets - clincher

Spinergy Spox R1 wheelsets - clincher

• Compatibility: Available in 700c clincher and tubular with Shimano or Campagnolo compatible freehub body
  • Front: 28 radial spokes; 684g (650c clincher)
  • Rear: 32 spokes, radial drive side, 1 cross non-drive side with special flange; 890g
  • Spoke type: Vectran® advanced fiber in Rislan protective jacket; 3g each (vs 7-10g for steel spokes); alloy nipples.

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 12, 2003]
    mypalthetortoise

Strength:

Light

Bearings Carbon/Aluminum bonding

I thought I could live with them, even while having to rebuild the bearings after every rainy ride. Now the carbon shell has separated from the aluminum spoke carrier. These wheels are trash. I'll have to send them to Spinergy which I've heard that can take a lifetime.

Kings, Campys, Shimanos, etc.

[Aug 16, 2003]
    duegi

Strength:

Light, light, light and they take the abuse of my size combined with Indiana county roads.

I have had zero problems with these wheels.

These wheels are obscenely light, accelerate like a scalded cat and have been rock solid under my 190 lb. frame for SEVEN years! I have never even had to true them, I've had no bearing problems or any other kind of problem whatsoever. I am very sorry to hear that others have had such a bad time with these wheels...mine have been GREAT!

dura-ace with venus rims/specialized tri-spokes/ in the old days I even road fiame red labels and once tried the ergals (which lasted about 2 rides)

[Aug 16, 2003]
    duegi

Strength:

I have had zero problems with these wheels.

[Apr 07, 2003]
    Lonny

Strength:

See above

See above

These wheels have been solid performers for me, as long as I don't ride them on the road. Seriously. I have used them for 'cross for two seasons, and they have been perfect. Not one single wheel related problem during the season. But once I get them on the road, especially on long rides, there go the nipples. I'm lucky because an LBS carries parts. If you ride 'cross, and can find a cheap pair, go for it. I would not recommend them under any other circumstances.

Mavic CXP30, Ritchey Aero Road, Sun Mistral, Campy

[Mar 01, 2003]
    Brbass

Strength:

Quick acceleration, sweet profile.

difficult to find tools for truing, or shops who'll touch the wheels, these horror stories are scary, really pricy if you buy them new

These things accelerate like mad. I bought them used at a swap for $180 having talked the previous owner down due to the rear bearing starting to grind. I've since replaced the rear bearings myself and things have run smoothly for the last 500 mi. I only weigh 143 lbs so I don't feel much lateral flex in the wheels. The horror stories here are really frightening though. I'm hoping to have better luck than the rest of the people who posted.

Mavic Helium

[Sep 27, 2002]
    Ronald

Strength:

Look Great, Plush ride.

They will put the HURT on ya...imagine, a spoke failure at 40mph that wraps around....oh ya, THAT does NOT happen, according to their Customer Servive Manager or Sales VP, never has, never will, so ride on......

These wheels worked fine for about a year, if you do not count the rear sealed berings that died after two months. Had the rear wheel pull a spoke and a good chunk of rim out last week. Same failure has occured to two riders I know. One front wheel and one rear wheel. Erik Burgan, Customer Service Manager and Paul Cusic, VP of Sales (erik@spinergy.com, Paul@spinergy.com) both claim to have NEVER heard of any catastrophic rim failures on R1's. I'll wait to see if they replace w/ a SAFER wheel. I do NOT recommend these wheels. Drop them a mail to let them know that these DO fail, apparently quite frequently. They will NOT believe it !!

[Sep 10, 2002]
    John Little

Strength:

Compliant ride, snappy acceleration, light weight, looks.

Overall design flies in the face of conventional wheelbuilding wisdom; Spinergy tried to reinvent the wheel and failed. I suspect my wheels are at the end of their service life; the pr ohibitive cost of replacing all the drive-side nipples will relegate these wheels rides never far from home.

I was skeptical when I first looked at the lacing pattern on these wheels; radial drive-side and X1 non drive? Cmon. I bought them because the price was right and they looked cool with my bike. I've probably got 3000 miles on these wheels, and have had two drive-side spoke failures at the nipple. I'm a bit of a Clydesdale, so all in all I'd say not too bad a wheelset, though I don't think I'd buy another pair, especially at retail.

[Aug 30, 2002]
    Jon Kraft

Strength:

Very lite weight; Shock absorbing

Horror stories

Wow! I've read the reviews and am scared of what could happen, however, in my two years of riding these wheels the only problem I have had is the rear hub loosening. Never out of true and never a spoke snapped or pulled from rim. They have been one of my favorite wheelsets.

Mavic Cosmics; Mavic Kysrium Elite; Mavic CXP/105; Spinergy RevX

[Jun 02, 2002]
    Barry

Strength:

I guess they look pretty sharp and they are light.

Poor construction - these rims lack structural integrity.

These are junk. Don't buy them. My problems are similar to those experienced by other reviewers. A spoke on the back wheel pulled out from the rim - no help from Spinergy, by the way.

Rolf vector pros, mavic open pro with Phil Wood hubs.

[May 11, 2002]
    Matt

Strength:

Very light weight. Vibration dampening.

Hubs worn after 1 years casual use. I have replaced the rear ($60), and it is exactly the same as before. Truely crap bearings make these wheels roll rough. Anything from Mavic rolls smoother.

I would not buy these wheels, or any from Spinergy. I have read too many reviews and anectdotes about wheel failures resulting in expensive repairs at best, serious injury at worst. This goes for the RevX as well.

Mavic Kysirium. Mavic Cosmic