Spinergy Spox R2 wheelsets - clincher

Spinergy Spox R2 wheelsets - clincher

• Compatibility: Available in 700c clincher and tubular with Shimano or Campagnolo compatible freehub body
  • Front: 28 radial spokes; 711g
  • Rear: 32 spokes, radial drive side, 1 cross non-drive side with special flange; 917g
  • Spoke type: Vectran® advanced fiber in Rilsan protective jacket; 3g each (vs 7-10g for steel spokes); alloy nipples.
  • Rim type: Custom designed single cavity rim, machined sidewalls.

• USER REVIEWS

[Sep 14, 2003]
    Tiger Lilly

Strength:

Light, and accelerate quickly Heck of a "gee whiz" factor

Heck of a "gee whiz" factor

Got these with the Litespeed Tuscany Leigh built up for me. I have almost 6000 miles on a rear R2, and it still spins smooth as silk, straight and true. I've never serviced the bearings. I wish I could say the same for the front, but that one jumped out of a roof rack and died under the wheels of a Buick a year and a half ago. (You picked a fine time to leave me, loose wheel....) Replaced it with a leftover R1 Spinergy had at the factory, and that one needs a little trueing, but otherwise runs fine. It has only about a season of use. I ride all kinds of roads, some good, some not, occasional dirt sections, and I've had no problems. I only weigh about 130 fully dressed and ready to ride, so I'm not hard on equipment.

Ancient Campy Omega 19 rims on a Suntour Cyclone front hub (indestructable) and a Shimano 600 rear hub.

[Aug 24, 2002]
    gfanderson4

Strength:

light, loog cool

weak lateral stiffness, very poor factory service and very few bike shops that will even look at a spinergy product.

This was a good set of aero wheels while they were working. For time trials and tempo work this wheel was a good choice. Because of the lack of lateral stiffness it would not be my first choice for crit or technical road races. I purchased this product because I was looking to try something different. This was mistake. Spinergy is probably the worst company to look to for factory suport. The best advice is to talk with the local shops and find out what companies stand behind their products. Spinergy does not even come close to offering service.

Mavic open pro, mavic ksyriums, Campy

[Aug 22, 2002]
    Drew Coleman

Strength:

NONE: This company SUCKS. Do yourself a faver and don't buy anything from them.

Poor product quality, and worse customer service.

Horrible, horrible company. I had the same set-bolt problem as many others here. Sent the wheels back to shop (way late) and had already charged full-boat for the repair even though wheels were under warranty. I took it up the a-hole for shipping both ways, labor at shop, and parts/labor at factory to get my wheel out of hock. Rear hub failed after 400 miles.

Mavic, Velocity....have both wheelsets and am very happy with product and customer service.

[Aug 14, 2002]
    chrisrfox

Strength:

Weight, supple ride

Quality, customer service, too flexy.

I experienced a major failure of the rear hub after 1 year of use. One of the hoops on the rear hub snapped, collapsing the wheel and rendering it useless. Thank goodnes I was only 4 miles from home at the time. While they were working, they had good points. Very light and supple, the ride was smooooooth. A bit too much flex in the spokes though, as the hub would actually "wind up" under powerful acceleration, spinning slightly faster than the rim if you see what I mean on startup. Not good. Take into account that I was around 185-190 and racing at the time, but still... The worst thing I have to say is that Spinergy customer service is nothing short of a joke. The worst for any product I have ever experienced. 7 MONTHS later, my under warranty wheels were replaced by a set of Xaero's. Continued pestering, calling of the factory, the bike shop and everyone else yielded NOTHING for 7 months. Obviously had to buy new wheels before I got the new ones, so what's the point? Ridiculous. The bike shop dropped Spinergy as a manufacturer as mine was FAR from an isolated case according to them. I would strongly warn against buying from this company, as it seems to be a widespread issue.

Mavic open pro, Spinery Xaero, Krysyrium

[Jul 15, 2002]
    chrismaginn

Strength:

Very smooth ride. Will do some races (triathlon) on these later this year when rear wheel returns from factory

There's just too many problems listed here (such as my own) to take a chance on a used pair.

Stay away from buying these used. Rear hubs have funky problem with a set bolt that can only be fixed at Spinergy factory

Mavic, Velocity

[Dec 08, 2001]
    Josh Trevino

Strength:

*Light-weight - Newton''s law F=ma. With the same force but lower m, a will increase respectively. *Damping property *Low inertia - due to concentrated center of mass. basic physics property I=integral of R^2 with respect to mass. Because Torque=I*angular acceleration, a low I means higher angular acceleration for the same torque. What does this mean? Faster acceleration and easier to keep the speed.

Don''t buy if you are a old-fashioned conservative conventional republican.

This is the BEST wheel I have ever used. The shock-absorbancy is incredible. I low weight, moment of inertia, and stiffness helped me increase around 2 mph on FLATS. My acceleration also seen a dramatic change. I would recomend this wheel to any one.

SH-7700, Kysrium SSC SL, Lew, American Classic Carbon.

[Oct 20, 2001]
    Michael

Strength:

Takes the pain out of an aluminum frame. Relatively light weight. Incredible value. Look badass with carbon hubs and Vectran.

Very noisy at speed (thick spokes) Harder to true than conventional wheels

I bought these wheels to replace CXP-21''s on CODA hubs, which were heavy, and always coming out of true. Out of the box, the Spinergy''s were pretty true, and after a couple hundred miles and few minutes on the truing stand were pretty perfect. I ride an aluminium Cannondale R600 which was very harsh with the CXP''s and the Spinergys make it feel as if I''ve added front and rear suspension. The weight difference over my old wheels is noticable and I accelerate much quicker now. I was looking at similarly priced wheelsets (Mavic Cosmos, Velomax Circuit Comp, Sun Race Lite) and although they all were good in one way, the Spinergys seemed to blend all of their benefits together into an outstanding overall product. I understand that many people have complained about quality issues with these wheels, but currently, after about 800 miles, I''ve experienced nothing more than the occassional truing.

[Jul 16, 2001]
    Tom Spahr

Strength:

The ride! Extremely forgiving, very comfortable ride. Weight comparable to other wheelsets in this catagory (approx. 1600 grams).

The vectran spokes will be available for about the next 2 years according to Spinergy. I'll probably buy several spares just in case. Truing takes special wrenches and I'm sure more than one try to get used to (although the documentation supplied is very good).

I got the jones for a new set of wheels, and began looking at Rolf Sestriere and Mavic Ksyrium wheelsets. I wasn't adverse to the potential $700-$800 prices tag, but I am cheap when possible. While checking product reviews on this site, I came across the link to Supergo with these wheels. I did some research and even Emailed one of the reviewers. His comments were great! Lets face it, how can you go wrong for $299!

The wheels included the wheelbags and spoke wrenches, although I can't guarantee that every set sent out includes this. They differ from "normal" R2's in that it is using a carbon fiber hub (normally found in the R1, Spinergy's top of the line Spox series wheel) and better bearings according to Supergo. It also is using a Sun Venus rim (about $48 per rim if you get them from Sun/Ringle).

After the first ride they are NOTICEABLE more comfortable than either my Mavic's or the Rolf's. In fact, I don't feel nearly as "beat up" after riding them as I do with the Rolfs; they don't transmit nearly as much road shock. I didn't notice the "give" some other reviewers had. Some people have also mentioned that the hubs didn't seem as "aero" as other hubs. I don't know that I buy that. After all, at 25 mph if you can tell that a two inch wide cylinder with a circumference of 10"-11" is noticeably producing drag, your better than I am...

Great wheelset, one of the best investments (especially at this price) that I've made in my bike. I'd give it more than 5 stars if I could. Is it going to be the absolute fastest wheel in the world? Probably not. Is it comforable? Absolutely. I would not hesitate to race on it, though. It seems to be faster than my Rolfs, and my speed is up over 1 mph since I've changed over. Maybe I'm just riding faster to show them off to more people...

Buy these now!

Mavic Classics Pro, Rolf Vector comps.

[Jul 18, 2001]
    Scott

Strength:

Light, quick, comfortable

Construction

Originally got this wheel set to use as a back-up for cyclocross. Put a few hundred miles on them on my weekly club rides and they even smoothed out Berkeley roads. (not an easy thing to do for ANY wheelset)

Last week was the Markleeville Death Ride. Early on in the ride I noticed a new noise, but never connected it to the wheels. After a long day in the saddle and climbing all 5 passes, I was descending Carson at 50mph when the bike started shimmying. Badly. I've had the bike in it's current set-up to about 45mph before and never felt even a twitch. This was new. I somehow managed to get the bike stopped without crashing. Had to ride the freakin' brakes down 15 miles of descent, as the wobble would return at about 25mph.

I spent the day Monday breaking down the bike to find the culprit. Frame was perfect, fork, headset, stem, bars, ditto. Then I got to the wheels. Front was fine, but the rear was horrid. I spun it in the frame (after removing the chain) and it stopped after about 3 revolutions. The non-drive side has cartridge bearings which felt ok (not perfectly smooth, but simply ok). The drive-side loose balls felt like they were rolling in sand. I was able to remove the drive-side locknut and cones by hand! There was practically no grease on the bearings. (only on the seal) The cone was completely pitted, and looks like it was a factory reject to begin with. There were pits and scars on the cone in places the bearings wouldn't even touch it.

The wheel is currently being warranteed by the shop back to Spinergy. I'll update this review as it progresses.

I'm happy about the overall performance of the wheel. (when it worked) I had heard tales of Spinergy having some quality control issues, and decided to roll the dice anyway. Hopefully all will work out in the end.

handbuilt wheels

[Jun 27, 2001]
    Chris

Strength:

Blue rims with yellow spokes were a perfect match for my 1996 Vitus.

The plastic spoke sheaf appears to be deteriorating towrad the rim due to exposure to oils and solvents that accumulate there during rides.

Besides the great looks, I bought these rims after being frustrated with the braking performance of the campy wheelset that I had previously. I have been very satisfied with the performance of this wheelset. Being under 150, I don't notice the lateral flex that most detractors throw out. They accelerate very well and brake well. I am concerned about the plastic spoke eroding, but I think it will take several years. I liked these well enough to purchase the new Spinergy Xeros for my mountain bike.

Campy rims came stock on this bike.