Token T50 Carbon 50mm tubulars wheelsets - tubular

T50 Carbon 50mm tubulars

50mm carbon tubular race wheelset.
1430 grams for the set
semi aero spokes, full carbon rims, ceramic bearing hubset

jrz1   Recreational Rider [Sep 02, 2009]
Strength:

Value, speed, smoothness, weight (for the price), speed!

Somewhat noisy free hub. The flashy red graphics that at first I thought were cool are starting to get annoying and while they work great with my black with red highlites bike, they could clash with many bikes paint schemes.

After over 600 miles on these wheels I have found them to be a fantastic value and an excellent wheel. The first pleasant surprise came when I weighed the wheels upon first receiving them. They actually came in at 1375 grams which is under Token's claimed weight of 1405 grams. When is the last time that happened!!? Usually it is the other way around where an item weighs more than claimed. Initially I was underwhelmed with the wheels. The free hub was very loud and I expected the ceramic bearing wheels to spin more freely than they did on the first few rides. Also there was alot of squealing when braking even with the carbon rim specific brake pads that came with the wheels. Fortunately I did not rush to judgement because it seemed that around the 400 mile mark the wheels became "broken in" and came into their own. The free hub has grown quieter, although still louder than most, and the wheels seem to be spinning quicker on every ride. I am now a believer that ceramic bearings do make a difference! I have gained over 2 mph on my top speed over my previous wheels (American Classic 420's and also Neuvation C50 tubulars). They spin up quicker than my other wheels (both of which are great wheels in their own right), and are light and climb well. The brake squeal has also greatly diminished. With their flashy red graphics and red skewers and hubs (I have a special "red" edition) they get alot of attention. I am very pleased with these wheels and considering that I purchased them new on Ebay for $800 I am blown away by the value. $800 for 50mm carbon rimmed, ceramic bearing, CX-ray bladed spokes, tubular wheels? Unbelievable! A 5+ in value and the only thing keeping it from a 5 over-all is the slightly noisy free-hub and lengthy break-in period.

Similar Products Used: American Classic 420's, Neuvation C50 carbon tubular wheels.
Michael Zen   Road Racer [Jan 15, 2009]
Strength:

Climbing...Great climbing ability, holds speed really well on the flats. Wheels spin up really fast. Comfort over bumps.
Breaks smell after hard breaking...feels like your going really fast when you can smell your breaks

Crosswinds become a problem for lighter riders. At 5,10" and 164lbs you feel the wind and your probably better off using less aero wheels for less than perfect days.
They would look better without stickers.
Squeeky breaks under hard breaking

What can I say. I am thouroughly impressed with this wheelset. They came true out of the box and the hubs spun so freely straight away. When put on the stand for the first time as a test we decided to spin the wheel to test the hub and the wheels spun faster where the valves were placed and then started to spin back the other way...you could go away and come back 3 minutes later and the wheel would still be spinning...AMAZING. Noticed a 10kmh difference in decending speed and it holds speed really well. Dont expect it to be faster unless your doing over 40kmh on the flat. If your just a recreational rider that averages under 30kmh on a run.....aero wheels wont do anything.
Put these on before a big fast group ride and you will be hitting the breaks to stop you from running into te front of the pack, they are quick!
Great comparison to Zipp 404 clinchers, but better in my opinion because they are full carbon

Similar Products Used: Zipp 404 Carbon Clinchers
Juanmoretime   Road Racer [Aug 12, 2008]
Strength:

Very fast, responsive and reasonable priced wheels.

None. Yes they are heavier on the scale but the weight does not seem to hurt the performance of the wheels.

This is the 2008 version with the redesigned hubs, ceramic bearings and the Sapim CXRay spokes. These are just damn fast wheels. I mounted a set of Vittoria Triathlon tubulars to off set some of the weight. The spin up quickly so their weight is really not felt. Wheel stiffness is excellent and that shows in the responsiveness of the wheels in steering input and cornering. I did have some seal issues that made the rear hub squeal like a pig.I had to take a part the rear hub and grease everything but all has been fine since. I guess the seals were too tight from the factory.

Token is a sleeper!

Similar Products Used: Ziip 404, Bontrager carbon wheels and American Classic carbon wheels.
Wildtype1969   Road Racer [Apr 23, 2008]
Strength:

Fast, smooth rolling, corner like your on rails, durable. LOOK great.

A bit heavier than some in the same genre (albeit twice the price).

Great wheelset for a fast crit in low wind. Very stiff in the corners and rolls very smooth with available ceramic bearings. I've raced these wheels for 2 years and had no issues. Only had to true once after a crash that broke a spoke-very durable. Great alternative that compares favorably with much more expensive wheels. Also, PCD offers excellent customer service.

Mobula77   Road Racer [Jan 23, 2008]
Strength:

cornering and price

weight

This was my first year on the tubulars and I liked them a lot. Nice cornering and they look great on any bike.

injunruss   Road Racer [Jan 22, 2008]
Strength:

stiff, aero, fairly light. hubs are very smooth, especially with the ceramic bearings.

could maybe drop a few more grams in order to be in the Campy Bora range. carbon braking surface in the rain

These are great race wheels. I've used the T50's (which used to be called T1's) for almost 2 yrs. They are 50mm high, full carbon wheels, aero lacing, and a high flange hubset w/ ceramic bearings. The weight on these is 1430grams. I've used these only for racing and have been very pleased. The wheels are fast, once up to speed, they are extremely easy to roll, they actually don't take much effort to accelerate either. The price for these wheels versus performance make these a great value. I'd highly recommend these wheels.