Velocity Deep V wheelsets - clincher

Deep V

The Deep V is a performance wheelset with an emphasis on durability and aerodynamics. Attributes include our super strong Deep V rims, black stainless steel straight gauge spokes and black Velocity sealed bearing hubs.
700C WEIGHT: Rear: 1128g, Front: 858g
650C WEIGHT: Rear: 1088g, Front: 818g
24 spoke radial front; 32 spoke 3 cross rear

gregmcdowell   Recreational Rider [Jun 09, 2011]
Strength:

Wheel stayed in true with a dented rim.

First rim broke after 200 miles, second rim broke after 44 miles. Velocity had my wheel for a month and didn't do anything until they were hassled about it.

I bought a 48 spoke Velocity Chukker with a Phil Wood touring hub for $650. It should have been a bomb proof wheel but it wasn't. After a couple hundred miles, the rim had a dent in it. I don't know how it happened, but I figured I must have done something so I bought a new rim and had it rebuilt for $200. After two days and 44 miles on paved bike paths the second rim was dented. It wasn't hit by anything and only came in contact with my brakes. I'm convinced it was a defective rim. I took it to my bike shop and they called Velocity who said to send it back and they would take a look at it. A month later, nothing. I hassle the bike shop and they call Velocity. Velocity then says the rim could only get like that from an impact and that they would repair it at no charge or rebuild it for a reduced price. They sat on my wheel for a month doing nothing. They should have told me that in the first week. Velocity's customer service is horrible. I had two rims fail for no apparent reason. If you want a poor quality rim with even worse customer service, buy Velocity. I'm never purchasing another Velocity product again.

Eric   Recreational Rider [Jun 19, 2010]
Strength:

Just a great value. The wheels ride well and have a great price point. Surprisingly strong for their weight and price. Love the color choices as you can jazz up an otherwise pedestrian ride.

Not the lightest, but a great value. Still need to see how the velocity hubs hold up after extended use - not the beefiest axle.

Just got these a month ago for a tandem. Not really a tandem guy, but needed some strong, reasonably priced wheels for a tandem with 135 mm spacing. Hard to find something string, cheap, at a reasonable weight to hold 2 riders.

terbennett   Recreational Rider [Dec 22, 2009]
Strength:

Strong, reasonably priced, good looking,

a bit heavier than what I'm used to- then again; they are stronger than any wheel that I've ever ridden on as well.

These wheels are the best. After breaking spokes on several low spoke-count racing wheels, I decided it was time to get something stronger. At 6'3 and 215 lbs., I decided to go to Bikeforums.net's Clydesdale forum. Hey, if anyone could recommend a strong, reliable wheel, a Clydesdale cyclists can. After asking the question, the responses were staggering. Easily 6 out of 10 of these big riders answered Velocity Deep Vs. I put in my order through Wheelbuilder.com and I had them within 10 days. These wheels are downright gorgeous. They even have the builder's initials and date that build was completed on a sticker inside the rim. How do they ride? Excellent! They are stiff but I hit rough patches without even a worry. It's been 15 months (7,800 miles) and these wheels haven't even needed to be trued yet. These wheels are that strong. I also noticed that several tri bikes and fixed gear bikes are running Deep Vs. If you're looking for super strong wheels, the wheels, the Deep Vs are for you.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Ksyrium Elites and SLs, Neuvation M28 Aeros,
xlrogue   Recreational Rider [Jun 05, 2007]
Strength:

I seriously doubt you could get a stronger, faster wheelset for $300.

Big ugly stickers

I've got about 2K miles on my Deep V's, and I love them. They've held up well under my 235 lbs. and are still dead true, even after a high speed RR crossing that flatted both tires(Michelin Carbons at 125 PSI, no less) and dented the bead portion of both rims on one side (straightened out nicely, too!). Mine are 28 spoke front and rear. They roll fast and true, and look great after removing the too-large-for-my-taste stickers.

Similar Products Used: Gipiemme T Tre 30S that came with my used Klein--started breaking spokes on rear the first week I rode them