Velocity Spartacus wheelsets - clincher

Spartacus

The Spartacus is available in a 20 spoke front/24 spoke rear for serious athletes. These great wheels are built using our time tested Deep V rims with 14g stainless steel spokes, brass nipples and our Velocity sealed bearing hubs. The hubs, spokes and rims are silver. Every wheel is hand laced, tensioned and trued to our exacting standards.
700C WEIGHT: Rear: 1062g, Front: 848g
20 spoke front 24 spoke rear

Dirk   Recreational Rider [Jan 19, 2011]
Strength:

STRONG and Stay True
Losing a spoke doesn't end your ride
I think they look good

Could use strengthening at the rim

I've ridden these for 3 years now (ave ~70 miles a week) They roll very well and are extremely strong wheels. I have broken 2 rear spokes (one on each side) and the LBS had no problem finding the Jhook spokes. The wheel was only pulled out of true by about 5mm on the loss of either spoke. The only issue is the rear rim has developed stress cracks at the nipples. I am 200-210# and ride the French cobblestone like streets in and around Oklahoma City.

Similar Products Used: Old school Miche/Rigida Mallard/mavic, some sort of low end alex (came on used Fuji not OEM)
DrSmile   Recreational Rider [Jul 22, 2006]
Strength:

Can take abuse. Less spokes make a difference down hills. Cool looking thick aero rims.

Aluminum Shimano hub (BAD!)
Fairly heavy

I finally figured out why these wheels are so cheap when I needed to change the rear cassette: They use aluminum freehubs for Shimano, which is a really BAD idea as the steel sprocket splines will dig into the freehub rather badly. Aside from that they have been my training wheels for 3 years without any need to true them. I got the 24 spoke (instead of 20, the description above is incorrect) rear for heavier riders and 16 spoke front.

Similar Products Used: FSA Aero Wheels
Mavic Cosmos Wheels
Frunko   Recreational Rider [Jul 04, 2006]
Strength:

Good hub, stiff

Not much at thios price

This is an Australian produst as far as I can tell. I've had these for 3 seasons as training wheels. Smooth bearings, stiff on climbs. I'm 180lbs and never had the impression of flexing/break rub etc.

In the 3rd season the rear wheel started squeeking on climbs and after a short investigation I traced it back to a lose nut holding the freehub in place. After tightening this the noise went away.