Vuelta Corsa-Lite wheelsets - clincher

Corsa-Lite

• Semi-Aero Road wheelset featuring 27mm alloy CNC rims
  • Vuelta alloy cartidge bearing hubs with Shimano HG spline
  • Aero butted stainless black spokes
  • 647g/875g

• User Reviews (18)

Joe Bond   [Oct 07, 2015]
    Strength:

Light weight, good bearings, freehub fairly quiet. Can be retrofit to Kinlin XC-279s as is out of the box which are an amazing improvement in ride quality-Continental GP4000 tires in 25c measure out to almost 28mm and can be run at 85 front/90 rear, probably even less if you're lighter than my 200 lb body weight.

Stock rims are a tight fit for many tires-solved by relacing with Kinlin XC-279s.

Good value set of wheels with a cheap upgrade path to the wide rims all the cool people are riding.

Johnny B   [Aug 02, 2015]
    Strength:

Very light, stays true

Cracked at spoke hole after 5k miles (less than one year), no support

I upgraded to these from Oval wheelset. they were lighter and rated to be durable. I then noticed cracking at the spoke holes on the rear wheel and tried to get some feedback from Vuelta but they didn't stand behind them, nor did the shop I bought them from as it had been a year.

If you get a set that doesn't crack, they are a great wheelset...just beware there is a history of cracking.

Matt   [Jul 31, 2015]
    Strength:

strong, stay true, roll up quickly

Bought as my first upgrade, Wheels are extremely light and have lasted through several seasons with no complaints from me. No cracks like others have mentioned, and they have stayed true all the while. I'd have no problem recommending them to anyone looking for an inexpensive, light training/racing wheel

Chuck benson   [Oct 19, 2014]
    Strength:

Low weight, good warranty, roll up fast, inexpensive

I have almost 10,000 miles on these and they are great wheels.
    Cracked rear rim after 9 months- they sent me a new set.
    Broke spokes (3) first 4 months and only 1 since then
    I weigh 175-180 lbs- I don't think a 300$ 1500 gram set can take really heavy riders.
    I love them!

Andrew   [May 26, 2014]
    Strength:

Low price, rolls fast

many broken spokes, poor quality in nipples. Wheels become very noisey, creaky. When that begins to happen check you nipple as the are getting ready to fail

Wanted to have a everyday value for the money wheelset that could handle my clydesdale weight.
    They lasted for about 2 years with about 150 miles per week, until the rear hub died. I could always tell when I was going to have a broken spoke or broken nipple just from the noise. But for the money they did exactly what I need

Robert   [Jan 06, 2014]
    Strength:

light weight

cheaply made

I know that these are low price entry level wheels but they are really cheaply made. I have been riding for more than 20 years on many different kinds of wheels and have never broken a spoke ( I weigh 160lbs). I have had these wheels for less than six months and I have broken 3 spokes already. Luckily I broke them on the flat and not going downhill at 45mph. I have no confidence in them and they're going up in the garage never to be used again.

Brad Johnson   Triathlete [May 19, 2013]
    Strength:

Light, Aero, Inexpensive

Noisy free wheel

I'll admit it, I'm cheap. I'm a mountain biker who bought a used road bike off craigslist for $350 to have something to ride when trying my first triathlon. I put about 1000 miles on the bike the first season. The bike came with Alex AKX R1.0 wheels, and by the end of the season I had broken two spokes on the rear and 5 on the front before giving up on them. And I was only 175 lbs at the time, so I wasn't thinking I was too heavy for the wheels. It was a rude awakening to the world of road biking equipment given the durability I was accustom to with mountain bike wheels.

I have Vuelta XRP Pro wheels on my #1 mountain bike and they've been flawless for the 3 season's I had them. So I felt good about buying these Vuelta Corsa Lite's online for my road bike. I brought them into a local bike shop (still in the box) and had them check trueness and they said they were perfect. They were considerably lighter than the Alex wheels (the guy at the bike shop even said "wow"), and a little over 1 year and 2500+ miles later have proven way-more durable. My bike seems more nibble and I am better able to respond to accelerations on my group rides. The braking surface is true and consistent. Also, despite putting on almost 10 more pounds, my triathlon bike leg speeds went up around 1-1.5 mph (~21mph to ~22.5mph) on the same courses with these new wheels (no other changes to my $350 bike). And no broken spokes.

My first ride on these I could not believe how quiet the free wheel was, I couldn't even hear it over the wind noise. That changed. After maybe a month of riding I started to think it was louder than the Alex wheel, now I'm certain it is. I have 4 bikes (including a 1992, all original) and this is easily the loudest of the four. It's not a big deal to me though, so long as they continue to be durable and fast, I don't care how much noise they make when I coast.

Since I'm relatively new to road biking I can't compare these to any respectable wheel sets, but certainly if you are looking to upgrade wheels on a < $1500 MSRP (or more?) road bike these would be a decent, economical choice.

Similar Products Used: Alex AKX R1.0
    Wynnbb   Recreational Rider [Nov 15, 2012]
    Strength:

Light
    Cheap

Weak
    Cheaply constructed

Less than 200 miles, spiderweb cracks on the entire rim for both Front AND back. I am 125 lbs and I rode it on pavement.

I'm actually inclined that these cracks were there to start with, and they covered it up with the stickers. Take the stickers off your rim and don't be surprised to see the cracks as well. Unbelievable.......

Avoid Vuelta at all cost!

Similar Products Used: Shimano RS10
    Jeb   Recreational Rider [Aug 26, 2012]
    Strength:

Low cost, solid construction, very stiff rear wheel.

Bit noisy

I picked these up on sale for under $200 shipped. They're almost 800 grams lighter than my previous wheels but I can honestly say I don't notice that. The biggest thing is they are much stiffer than my old wheels, which can likely be attributed to the good even and high tension on the spokes. They spun true out of the box with no noticeable issues. I've only got ~200 miles on them right now, so there might be issues in the future. Unlike most of the reviewers here I haven't had any problems with an uneven brake surface. The front 'sings' on the road which I think is due to the radial, bladed spokes as the tire is the same from my old wheelset and it didn't do that on them. The rear freehub is much louder than the freehub on the stock wheelset that came with my 2011 Specialized Secteur. I don't get brake rub when climbing out of the saddle anymore which is great. I haven't made any epic climbs yet, so I can't say they make me 10 mph faster on climbs, but for the price, I think they are hard to beat for an upgrade.

lucyfek   Road Racer [Dec 23, 2011]
    Strength:

Light and cheap, true and seemed tough (until the issue with spoke - I made it home but had to loosen the brake), would take jumps and potholes quite nicely. Look good. Spin well. Tires easy to mount. Cut through the air nicely. No problems with flats.

Cheap - pinned rims, imperfect braking surface (seems also narrower - more difficult to adjust brake pads). Drive side rear spoke just broke (9 months/3k, never ever had that on any wheel - not even these I built myself). The biggest fault was revealed when I tried to remove cassette (to service broken spoke) - the hub body was so gauged that the key tab was completely cut at 6th cog. We'll see if Vuelta's warranty is worth anything. It's possible that new Shimano cassettes (Ultegra 6700) are to blame - not sure why they keep narrow cogs separate/no way to lock them together for better rigidity/greater surface/less pressure on hub - but Vuelta did not specify any compatibility issues (possibly with cheaper/1 piece cassettes the hub would do better). I'm ~185# and like to push it/spin it up but surely this is what the wheel should be designed to handle (I only race against myself). Also freewheel is nosier than I'd like to.

replaced mavic cosmos with these and it's only partial upgrade - lighter, slightly more aeoro but rims are not welded (braking is not as smooth). Also taller rims = more side wind impact - not terrible but twice (or so) the sudden gust seemed almost to flip the front wheel from under me (felt as if suddenly the wheel folded, I was able to recover).