Zipp Speed Weaponry 404 Firecrest Carbon wheelsets - clincher

Zipp Speed Weaponry 404 Firecrest Carbon wheelsets - clincher

The Zipp 404 Carbon Clincher Rear Wheel slips through the wind so easily you may want to take a weekend off from training to gorge yourself on cheeseburgers.

[Oct 03, 2016]
Realtexan2014@yahoo.com

Strength:

Very smooth fast rolling wheel
Great looks
Braking surface better than most other carbon rims

Unsteady in heavy crosswinds

I put a set of 404's on my custom built S-Works Venge. Great complementary wheel to the frame and the wheels roll well especially above 22mph.

[Dec 24, 2013]
Reggie

Strength:

Aero, weight, stiffness

Watch out if there are crosswinds!

I have owned this wheelset for over 5 months now and have logged over 2,500 miles on them. They replaced the stock Mavic Equipes that came on the bike (nice wheels but heavy). What a difference! I could immediately tell that more of my power was being generated right to the pavement. In calm conditions, I would say my average speed on my flat ride was a good 3-4 mph faster. With that said, I have ridden in crosswinds and must say strong gusts will definitely effect your ride. When descending down hills, this can be rather scary! So far, mechanically speaking, no problems. The wheels roll as true as when I bought them.

[Aug 18, 2013]
Carl

Strength:

Rims/wheels are aero. Firecrest rim shape is a real improvement in crosswinds.
Sapim spokes are sweet.

Zipp doesnt stand behind their products. The rims now require the use of nipple washers to prevent
the spokes pulling through the rim. (Its their secret) My rims did not include them and a spoke has pulled through.
Funny thing is Zipp thinks its my falt. Zipp will not sell me a new rim at any cost. They told me to purchase a new wheel.

Carbon wheels are great. They are an investment in your cycling. I own two pairs of zipp wheels. 404 & 808
The zipp rims are weak. Relying on nipple washers to prevent spoke pull through is lame. When purchasing a
2K+ wheel set you should think twice about the company that produces them. Zipp has made a name for themselves
the industry for selling flawed products and then blaming the customers when they fail.

My 808 front has a flawed brake track that makes the brake pulse. Zipp says " thats just the way they are" ,NICE !
Spoke pull through "you can buy a new wheel", Oh, really ! Yes I can and it wil be Enve rims and wheels.
No more zipp products for me.