Zipp Speed Weaponry 404 Tubular wheelsets - tubular

404 Tubular

Zipp 404 Carbon Tubular Wheel is now equipped with the advanced Firecrest aero rim shape, Zipp's leading all-around performer is an even greater threat to win any race on any terrain. The 58mm rim profile is a classic in Zipp?s arsenal that dates back to

Richman909   Road Racer [Sep 12, 2010]
Strength:

Sexy
Light
Fast
Aero

weak rim and rim bed
expensive rim replacement
these wheels lack quality when compared to the retail price or even half of retail.

These wheels (along with 303's) accellerate faster then any other wheelset i've ever ridden. What really stands out are the aerodynamics and lightness. These wheels suck at high speed descents and corners. Every time I take a corner, the front wheel wants to wash out. Also the Bearings in rear wheel are smooth but they don't spin fast. When I flatted the rear wheel three cracks had formed on the rim bed immediately after I flatted. Also When I wanted to replace the front tire, it was glued on so tight that about a third of the rim bed got torn off in differnt spots when I was removing the tire.

Similar Products Used: ritchey protocol, zipp 303's, ritchey pro, ksyrium elite, bontrager x lite carbon
mauvefox   Road Racer [Jul 04, 2009]
Strength:

Light, aero, cool.

FRAGILE, finicky braking.

Well, after 2 years of racing on my 404's they're now overpriced wall ornaments. I'm a cat 2 and bought these in '07. I've had relatively good luck with them, they're superlight and fast, plus they give you that way cool carbon mystique, but this year both wheels cracked on me (and I'm only 155 lbs on a 16 lb road bike). Zipp's crash replacement program seems like it's basically for show, it's definately not worth spending $350 per wheel to have these fixed.

If you're going to buy these know what you're getting yourself into. They are WAY overpriced and definately won't last a lifetime. They will only make you faster as long as they work. If you have $2100 just burning through your wallet, get 'em. If you want something solid enough to race on consistently, don't.

Similar Products Used: Hed. Stinger, Hed. Jet, Mavic Ksyrium SL, DT Swiss 240, Chris King, Spinergy Rev-X, etc. etc.
ahobie17   Road Racer [Apr 11, 2007]
Strength:

Weight, areodynamics, accelerates quickly, climbs well

Cost, and braking takes a litle getting used to as it's not as well as clinchers.

Light weight, fast accelerating wheel, I only have the rear wheel which I've ridden constantly since 2003. I've never had a problem w/ the wheel going out of true, but I weigh 155 lbs. Broke one spoke since purchasing in 04/2003. The ratcheting spring broke and I was sent three at no charge. Then just this year there was a poping coming from the wheel, which sounded like a spoke, sent it to Zipp and rear bearings were replaced under warranty (WOW that suprised me), at no charge and free return shipping. That makes me happy. I don't know why a few others have complained about bad cust. service. they have treated me well.

Similar Products Used: Mavics, Nimlbe (flexy) crosswinds, Nimble Fly
Scott Murschel   Road Racer [Mar 23, 2007]
Strength:

Aero advantages over standard wheels: as one of the biggest riders in the pack, I lose time on the hills. These wheels are the ones to use to close the gap! Their customer service is outstanding. I had one minor issue with a front bearing and they replaced it and shipped the wheel back in no time. I was surprised to see it back in my hands so soon.

I could not wrestle a Conti 22 clincher tire on the front no matter what I tried. Having to run a 23's is the only limitation I've found. I did not try another brand of tire with a narrower width, however.

These wheels are not cheap, but high quality top-end products never are.

I'm on 2006 700c clinchers with a powertap. I have the extra spokes for strength and stiffness since I'm a bigger rider. I fall just under the 200 lb limit for the standard lacing, but opted for the stiffer wheels because I can generate quite a bit of force given my weight and power output.

These wheels are great for all types of races: crits, TT's, RR, climbing, windy courses, etc. They are light, fast, and stiff. After a great number of races they are still just like new and outperform everything else I have tried. They brake well and are very tough. I often ride the same TT course and have seen a significant improvement in my times using these wheels over Mavic K's and standard wire wheels. These are easily the best upgrade I've ever made. If you are looking to own one set of race wheels, these are the ones to get. I don't even have a cassette on my SSC's anymore since I bought the Zipps. The valve extenders for these wheels are very smooth, no caps, nothing to turn, just pump and go.

The quality is great, it seems that they have made the necessary improvements to overcome the issues they had early on with the reliability of their wheels.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Shimano
z ken   Recreational Rider [Feb 14, 2007]
Strength:

strong
stiff
sexy
aerodynamic
fast aceleration
hold speed nicely
reasonable price

none so far

without a doubt the best wheels i've ever used. up hils, down hills, flat and everything in between with ease. i used to ride on alot of cheap wheels so it's big-time upgrade for a reasonable price ( spring sale )

Similar Products Used: Easton Ascent II
other cheap wheels
hanamizu55   Road Racer [Oct 11, 2006]
Strength:

Ride quality, acceleration, looks.

I can't afford to buy the 808's...

I have been using these wheels all summer for crit's, rr's, and some fast group rides. I weight 160 and have had no problems, much to my amazement! I was skeptical going to carbon but my doubts have been erased. These wheels ride 10x smoother than the Ksyrium's they replaced, hold speed like they have a rocket attached to them, and accelerate like a banshee. I would reccomend them to anyone interested in stepping to the next level.

Similar Products Used: Mavic, Rolf, Velomax
jmaccelari   Road Racer [Oct 08, 2006]
Strength:

Aero
Light
Stiff
Good looks
Great performance

More a speciality wheel for recommended conditions
Expensive(ish)

My first foray into the world of tubbies and I am not disappointed. I thought a lot about this purchase and am very glad I chose to go with Zipp.

The 404s were sold by my LBS as being a middle-of-the road aero tubbie. They were wrong - these things are fantastic. They are light, aero, stiff and spin up incredibly well. They also look really cool. The performance improvement they provide is immediately noticable and you'll have to do something radical to me to get me on clinchers again.

The manufacturers do state that they are for winds of up to 35degrees, and they are not wrong. I once left my spare non-aero wheels at home and rode a race with these on with severe cross winds. It was not a pleasant experience and pretty dangerous to boot. Used under the recommended conditions, however, these wheels are a blast!

Similar Products Used: Dura Ace clincher
Easton Circuit clincher
Zipp 202
stj3coops   Road Racer [Mar 29, 2006]
Strength:

Fast, Very Aero, Super Smooth, Durable, Very Fast Spin Up! This Wheeset Is Race Proven!

um... It Is Expensive To Be Fast!
None so far!

I have been a recreational rider for years, until I got the racing bug the past two years. I ride in Crits, Triathlons, and stage races in the tri-state area. I have tried many wheelsets in the past, however the Zipp 404's are by far the best I have ridden.

This wheelset has made the difference in my times during my races and training. They have a VERY fast spin up and have proven to be very durable as well. I training on this wheelset, as well as all my races on them. My LBS could not get them for me, so I purchased them through www.bicyclemonster.com
A great deal on these 2006 Zipp 404's. Great survice and quick shipping.
I am actually looking forward to competing in the 2006 Lake Placid Ironman this year on my new Zipps...

Similar Products Used: American Classic Carbon
Zipp 303
Kysrium SL's
Peelay   Recreational Rider [Oct 24, 2005]
Strength:

They have a really strong price tag!

The rim, the warranty that comes with it and the spineless company that supports or should I say doesn't support the products they make.

I'm a recreational rider but a very competative one. So I thought I'd upgrade my Mavics to something sweet as a reward for recovering from an injury. I'm now very, very, very disappointed in my decision. When it came time to replace my first tire, not due to a puncture, but due to wear (not a single puncture in 4 months, thanks to Conti Sprinters) I noticed a hairline crack which started at a seam in the wheel. I'm told by Zipp that this isn't actually a seam, but an overlap in the manufacturing process, but when was the last time you saw two materials overlap and there was a gap between the two? Sounds more like a seam and a poor one at that too me. My LBS sent them back and did their best to get the rim repaired or replaced under the Zipp warranty, I've only ridden them for 4 months after all. But no luck, they replaced the rim under their No Fault/Crash Replacement Policy. Part of their policy is to destroy the damaged rim, thus destroying any evidence or recourse I have. I'm sorry this isn't much of a review but more of a rant but I can't say how disappointed I am in the 404 and Zipp as a company. They charge top dollar and don't back it up, I get a better warranty with a $20 Black and Decker Sander. So as a consumer, the only thing that is left in my power is to discourage any other individuals from making the same mistake I made...

Similar Products Used: Mavic Cosmic Elite
samh-tri   Triathlete [Oct 01, 2005]
Strength:

when they were not broken, I got an extra mph. Lost about 12 minutes on the split versus the same ride on the stock Real Design clinchers, due the the break.

Poor customer support. Fragile, unreliable wheels.

These wheels delaminated when I hit a small (1-2") crack in the road while traveling at about 15mph. I was able to limp through the rest of the bike leg of the race. I am a 47 year-old age grouper, rookie triathlete. I was at 145 lbs for the race, my first half iron-man. I would think that the forces applied to the wheel when it broke were what could be easily called "normal". At the price they want for these wheels, they should last for more than the 150 miles I got out of them. Zipp charged me for the repair. I feel that a) the wheel should not have broke under those circumstances; and B)Zipp should have covered them under warranty. Look for these wheels on eBay soon. I cannot, and will not, trust them on any race in the future. My training time is too valuable to risk a DNF due to a broken wheel. If you can afford to risk your training time, and a DNF, have at it, buy Zipps.

Similar Products Used: Camp Neutrons (love them); Campy Eurus (very nice); Reynolds Cirrus (sweet), Real Design Supersonics (reliable)