Zipp Speed Weaponry 909 Tubular wheelsets - tubular

Zipp Speed Weaponry 909 Tubular wheelsets - tubular

• Available in 650c or 700c
  • Front 650c wheels are 16 spoke, 700c wheels are 18 spoke
  • Front wheels built with rolled, ovalized spokes and lightweight alloy nipples.
  • Features ZIPP’s precision machined hubs on the front and the same proprietary cassette design in the discs

• USER REVIEWS

[Feb 14, 2006]
    bigringing

Strength:

Speed and Weight. My 650's weigh almost the same as my set of Ksyriums, so there's never a question as to whether the time trial course has a few too many rollers for the disk.

Cost. It took me two years before I got up the nerve to spend so much on something that would be used so infrequently.

These wheels are great if you're willing to take the plunge and spend some money to buy instant speed.

[Aug 10, 2003]
    siegje

Strength:

* Lightweight, even for hills * Absorb shocks well * They feel very fast * Most importantly: except for the whizzing sound, you don't notice it's there.

After having ridden the 303s (with ADA hubs) for 18 months, I was looking forward to going for the supposedly best wheel for time trials, the Zipp disk. My first ride with the disk (and the front 303) was in windy and hilly conditions, and I was pleasantly surprised that the disk did not influence my balance at all, nor did it negatively affect the uphill ride. I weighed 84kg at the time, so I suppose that being a bit heavier helps. I will receive the front 404 wheel next week, and will try it out in my next tri in Shanghai in September. If I break 60' I will know it's not only because of my recent increased fitness!

Zipp 303s, Mavic CPX33.

[Jan 16, 2003]

Strength:

Build quality. Bearing smoothness. Customer service. Light for what they are.

Instability charateristic to ALL disk wheels. Probably should have a minimum rider weight limit for control. Disks are fragile and must be taken care of. Purchase wheel bags to ensure long life. You better be fast because people can hear you coming and you shouldn't let them down. Probably not the cheapest option, but they are the best.

Nothing short of awesome can be used to describe these wheels. If you are fast and want to be the fasted you can be, then these are the wheels to do it on. The disk wheel is really light, lighter than my Hed3, so even on the hilly races I use the disk on. Great customer service and support, along with great instruction for use, including instructions on mounting tubulars. Build quality is top notch, and the new bearings for 2002 will super-silly smooth. I kid you not, with the bike on the stand, I spun the front wheel and left to make a sandwich in the kitchen. Came back down to find it still spinning. The first time I used them, I couldn't figure out what "jet" noise was. It sounded like an airliner way off in the distance, but it seemed to not taper off like it usually does. Then I realized it was the rear wheel.

Hed H3

[Nov 02, 2001]
    jhh

Strength:

very light, fast once at speed, direct power transfer

slow to spin up to speed, acceleration is hurt by disc, uncomfortable over non smooth roads

using a 2000 disc with a 404 front wheel, in 650 size, the disc is very fast even in slightly windy conditions, once you get this wheel going it is easy to keep it up at speed, only problems are those inherent with discs, climbing is a bit slowed since it is heavier thatn the standard 404 rear wheel, also since it is a disc, the acceration is hurt a little, so if it is a technical course then you are hurt by the slow aceleration, also the disc is a little more harsh than a spoked wheel on all but the smoothest roads, so don''t expect a sooth ride on bumpy road... have an alternate back for those conditions...if you get this wheel you konw this already and are willing to spend the money for the speed despite its drawbacks.. only use on specific courses for its strengths.

404, and rolf vector pros

[May 15, 2001]
    Chris

Strength:

This is one aero wheelset! Ive only used them in one race, but I could feel the difference. My mavic carbones are going to sit in the corner. Heck the 909's are lighter anyway.

None that Ive seen yet, beside that noisy click from the rear hub.

These are pricey new, but when you want the best sometimes it costs you. Definately worth it, and customer service is great. I am 200+ pounds and I know a disc is supposed to be very punishing, but I never noticed the difference.

Mavic open pros Mavic cosmic equippes Mavic cosmic carbones

[Mar 29, 2001]
    Tom

Strength:

This wheel set rules. I purchased mine from a guy on the internet for a sweet deal of $650 total. This included the disk, 404 front, 2 Conti Sprinter tubulars and free shipping. Damn what a deal.

The Disk is very light compaired to the Head Disk I owned. I don't think your going to find a faster setup than the 909 for most conditions. The disk is even light enough for hilly courses, although if there is a lot of climing to do, I would opt for a Zipp 303 or 404 rear instead.

If it is really windy - Like what you can expect at the Ironman Hawaii, I would go with two 404s instead of the 909 setup (Oh wait, you can not use a disk any way in Hawaii).

The breaking surface is carbon, which can be a plus or minus. I hear the carbon brake surface brakes better, but it just feels weird compaired to metal.

Since the wheel is carbon it probably will not take a hit to a pothole like a metal wheel could. I used to own some Zipp 400s, which I sold a few years back. The person I sold them to hit a nasty hole in the road and destroyed one of them.

You can only get the disk in tubular, so your tires will cost you more, and if you get that flat, there goes some bucks.

I give this setup a 5 star because the wheel set is so damn fast in most conditions. The 4 star rating is due to the big bucks you will drop for a new set. I got lucky, but most people will drop at least $1000 for the set. You can not go wrong with the Zipp line though. The customer support is great and they are always trying to make the wheels better, which I believe they have.

Hed Disk and Spinergy