Zipp Speed Weaponry Flash-Point FP60 wheelsets - clincher

Flash-Point FP60

FP60: TRUE AERODYNAMIC VALUE
Road race, Tri and TT speed for the rest of us
Oh sure, you could raid the kids' college savings fund or cash in the 401K to get yourself race wheels that drop jaws and elicit gasps of horror on the start line. Or you could put on Flash-Point 60s, and let your legs do the talking. The deep 60 mm rim ruthlessly controls the airflow during road races and time trials so you can power the break, catch your minute man or head into the run with a nice lead on your age group nemesis. And at just 1836 grams for the set, they'll climb all but the steepest grades with mountain goat prowess. The only thing they won't do? Put you into bankruptcy proceedings.

The high points:
Structural woven carbon rim ensures strength and durability
Vibration damping comfort
Aluminum braking surface provides strong, smooth stopping
Carbon performance, clincher convenience
Same toroidal aerodynamic rim shape used by the world's most aerodynamic wheels
SAPIM spokes with alloy nipples 18F/20R New for '08!
Anodized hubs with quick-release levers, compatible with Shimano, SRAM and Campagnolo New for '08!
Japanese bearings
Hand-built in Speedway, Indiana USA
Still not convinced FP60 are your wheels?
Don't take our word for it, check our FP Blogs for more technology, more testimonials from our users. Then decide for yourself.

Flash-Point Racing wheels are available at authorized dealers nation wide.

noemis   Recreational Rider [Nov 29, 2010]
Strength:

GOOOOOOOD........

Nothing

Have that wheelset for two season now , made around 2000 KM . I have no issue whit that wheels it stay true , i am 200 pound and road around are not too good for the price think it is a good deal. Maybe on zipp i gain a minute on a 40KM but.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.........Recomended that wheels.

patunnar   Triathlete [Oct 31, 2010]
Strength:

+Comfortable (carbon eats a lot of road noise)
+Aero

+Flex
+Heavy
+Overall carbon build quality

Wheelset is OK. I've used them for two centuries and two iron distance races. Wheel is good for aero and the hubs roll nice. However, the flex and the lack of snap make them not great for road or quick, out of saddle intervals. I've had to true these wheels three times in two seasons and returned them to Zipp once for a spoke hole failure (carbon)

Similar Products Used: EA 70
Mavic Kyrsium
Shim RS220
steel515   Recreational Rider [Dec 27, 2009]
Strength:

aero

heavier, mounting tires!

This is heavier than regular wheels so not good at stop&go traffic, but once up to speed they are faster than standard wheels.
My FP40 was excellent quality, but flex in rear when standing up but very responsive (radial driveside spokes).
It is Not more comfortable than standard wheels. Less comfortable. A good century wheel. FP60 might be better.

Similar Products Used: cosmic elite, handbuilt.
Eddieman   Recreational Rider [Oct 15, 2009]
Strength:

Aero. Comfortable. Good looks.

Horrible hubs. Overally very poor QC.

Beautiful wheel, but lacks quality. The bearing in the front wheel went bad after 300 miles. Replaced it. Went bad again at about 500 miles later. The rim developed a crack at the valve stem hole on the rear wheel at around 500 miles. The rim completely failed at around 1,500 miles. I'm 140 pounds and ride the tires at around 105 psi. Still waiting to hear from Zipp as to whether they will warranty it or not.

Similar Products Used: Mavic Kysrium SL's.
Scott Burton   Road Racer [Sep 03, 2009]

they don't last.

Broke after one year and the manufacturer would not help me as it was one month out of the warrenty period

Flyin Z   Road Racer [Jul 15, 2009]
Strength:

How would I know? Can't ride them
Their biggest strength is that I really appreciate how nice all my other wheels are!!

Garbage wheels. Zipp is apparently for those with enough dough to throw away $1300.

What Garbage!! I am on my 4th RA # ( Why should I even know what that is!!?? ). I have yet, in a YEAR to ride these things twice in a row! Sure, Zipp trued them, but took them so far out of dish that I can't even get them in my frame (almost). Once, they sent them back without even touching them.
Apparently you have to just "get lucky" to get decent Zipp wheels. Never again. When this comes back from Indianapolis for the fifth time and my problem is not solved, I am opening a dispute with my ccard.

Similar Products Used: Campy Electrons -true and dished since 1999.
DT Swiss RR 1850. Heavy but true, stiff, solid, smooth trainers.
Mavic Cosmic Carbone tubular. Straight, smooth, true, and light.
Bumblebee Man   Road Racer [Jul 07, 2009]
Strength:

Aero. Smooth hubs. Look good. Ok for time trials. Light enough.

Flexy and flimsy for bigger guys.
They have very bad imperfections (waves) in the carbon surfaces.

These wheels are flexy, weak junk for anyone over about 75kg who ever gets off the saddle to stomp! I hate them and have given them away.

This is for the 2006 model with 24 and 20 black DT Aero spokes in a 2-cross pattern, and black hubs.

I had a similarly bad experience to Flyin Z: my rims are uneven over the side surfaces, with waves or large ‘bubbles’ in the carbon!! The rear is worse than the front. What’s up with that?! And they haven’t been ridden that much. Although this is very disappointing, I can handle such imperfections, but what I really hate is the flex, and these wheels are too flexy for what I like. I’m 85kg and a bit of a grinder. When I squeeze two spokes together with my hand, the rims start to fold over like a taco! I couldn’t believe it. And when I wobble the rims from side to side by hand, the rims easily hit the brake pads. The spoke tension is fine. Maybe I got some duds; I dunno.

They also sometimes make unnerving creaking and crackly sounds, and I feel like I’m gunna bust them every time I stomp off the saddle. The carbon is starting to raise slightly around the spoke holes, but I don’t know if this is normal.

They have cheap, generic Joytech hub internals, which is one reason I think they’re too pricey, although they run pretty smooth. I bent the rear axle (God, I hate alu axles!!) just enough to make the hub run rough, but found another Joytech one in another cheap hub.

I spoke to a guy at a race a while ago who said he busted one of his rims (he is about 75kg), so that was the last time I rode them. I’ve basically given them to a lighter friend of mine. I can’t really sell them because I feel the waves in the carbon makes them unsellable. I went back to racing my ‘real’ wheels, which are 32-spoke DT 1.2s with steel/real axles. :-)

I got them for a good price ($700, used, is a good price for Australia), so they were hard to resist, especially since they were my first carbon wheels -- I was a little dazzled because I’d never had any before. I had one test ride, but not enough to really feel them, but I still should’ve known; although, as I said, I was a little blinded by the thought of finally getting some aero wheels. :-)

Maybe the newer ones are different, I dunno. They have fewer spokes, but they are the broader Sapims and the front is laced radially. Maybe the new rims have improved. The new hub shells are a different colour (silver), so maybe they’re different. At least the new stickers look better. :-)

On the positive side, these wheels should, by all accounts, be aero, because they have all the ‘right’ stuff: 60mm-deep, toroidal-shaped rims and aero spokes, however, I never noticed any ‘speed’ difference.

Unlike Flyin Z, mine stayed pretty true, even with all the flexing :-)

In my opinion, the weight is ok (about 1840g – I weighed them).

These wheels are probably more than fine for time trials, especially for lighter guys, where they’d be ridden at a constant speed with no sprinting or mashing. I’d probably use the front for a time trial if I ever did one.

These wheels retail in shops for about $2,000 in Australia, which I think is way too much, but good deals can be found on the net, which I suppose makes them reasonable value for someone wanting to do time trials.

This experience has really put me off carbon rims, but I’ve since bought some cheap Token C50A clinchers, which are MUCH stiffer and not ‘creaky’. :-)

Similar Products Used: Token C50As.
FIR Antaras.
BOSSLEE   Road Racer [Feb 13, 2009]
Strength:

Bombproof!
Price!
Speedy!

Heavy duty!

Man, a carbon clincher 58mm deep wheelset for $800US? You can't ask for more! These wheels are not designed for hills (1850g) nor crits, but once you got them rolling on the flats, they'll never stop! These wheels are extremely comfortable, very well at absorbing shock, thus a great choice for you triathletes out there.

Oh and did I mention its got aero spokes?