Pieter Weening raced solo from 10 kilometers out to win the fifth stage of the Giro d’Italia and take the pink jersey. The Rabobank rider finished the 191-kilometer (118-mile) stage from Piombino to Orvieto on Wednesday in 4 hours, 54 minutes, 49 seconds. He overtakes David Millar at the top of the overall classification after the Briton faded on the final climb and finished 2 minutes, 50 seconds behind.
Stage 5 – Results
1. Pieter Weening Rabobank Cycling Team - 4:54:49
2. Fabio Andres Duarte Arevalo Geox-TMC - 0:00:08
3. Jose Rodolfo Serpa Perez Androni Giocattoli
4. Christophe Le Mevel Team Garmin-Cervelo
5. Oscar Gatto Farnese Vini – Neri Sottoli
6. Vincenzo Nibali Liquigas-Cannondale
7. Alberto Contador Velasco Saxo Bank Sungard
8. Michele Scarponi Lampre – ISD
9. Joaquím Rodríguez Oliver Katusha Team
10. Roman Kreuziger Pro Team Astana
General Classification After Stage 5
1. Pieter Weening Rabobank Cycling Team - 14:59:33
2. Marco Pinotti HTC-Highroad - 0:00:02
3. Kanstantsin Sivtsov HTC-Highroad
4. Christophe Le Mevel Team Garmin-Cervelo - 0:00:05
5. Pablo Lastras Garcia Movistar Team - 0:00:22
6. Vincenzo Nibali Liquigas-Cannondale - 0:00:24
7. Michele Scarponi Lampre – ISD - 0:00:26
8. Steven Kruijswijk Rabobank Cycling Team – 0:00:28
9. Alberto Contador Velasco Saxo Bank Sungard - 0:00:30
10. Jose Rodolfo Serpa Perez Androni Giocattoli - 0:00:33
“Millar loses Giro lead as Weening wins fifth stage
ORVIETO, Italy — Dutchman Pieter Weening capped a brave solo attack with victory in the fifth stage of the Giro d’Italia on Wednesday to take the race leader’s pink jersey from Britain’s David Millar.
A day after the peloton held a 216 km procession to honour Belgian Wouter Weylandt, who died in a crash on Monday, there was drama aplenty on the dusty strade bianche (white roads) that peppered the last 19km of the 191 km ride under the Tuscan sun from Piombino to Orvieto.
It was on one of the few paved sections in the finale, around 15km from the finish, that Weening’s teammate, Tom-Jelle Slagter, caused brief anxiety when he fell hard and lay prone as his physios called for the medical car.
Still conscious, Slagter was given medical attention at the scene before being taken to hospital.” Read more from AFP…
“Weening seizes pink jersey with win
By Yahoo Eurosport
The Rabobank rider went it alone to record a stunning victory in the Tuscan hilltop town of Orvieto as the race looked to move on from the tragic death of Belgian Wouter Weylandt two days earlier.
Weening showed real character to hold off the chasing pack as he negotiated the last of three tricky climbs in the 191-kilometre stage from Piombino.
Colombian Fabio Duarte (Geox) crossed the line eight seconds later to take second place while compatriot Jose Rodolfo Serpa (Androni Giocattoli) finished third.”Read more from Yahoo Eurosport…
Photo credit – CorVos