Easton EC90 SLX Clincher Wheelset Pro Review – By Twain Mein
- Hand built, fully aluminum rim
- Sapim double butted and stainless steel spokes, 18 front radial, 24 rear radial/2-cross on drive side
- 20mm deep front, 24mm deep rear
- Weight: Front: 600 grams, Rear: 820 grams, total 1420 with rim strips. Estimated 1390 actual versus claimed weight of 1398 grams.
- Ceramic bearings with tool-less bearing preload adjustment
- Included quick releases skewers, 121 grams
- No rider weight limit
- $1000 msrp for the pair
A few years back, Easton bought a wheelmaker, Velomax. Velomax made some fantastic wheels, including what became the 2006 Easton Ascent II. They were highly regarded as being a great value in a superlight wheelset (1430 grams w/o rimstrips). Some folks complained that they were a bit flexy; I own a pair and they have been plenty stiff for me and the only issue I had was the need to replace the rear wheel bearings last year. Easton customer service was excellent and installation was a breeze.