In the wake of the Santa Cruz bike heist, here are five essential steps to securely locking your bike
1. Lock your bike in a busy place. Don’t gives thieves a chance to do their devious work in the private of a dark alley.
2. You get what you pay for. Don’t skimp on a lock. Even the most expensive one is likely a lot cheaper than your bike.
3. Make sure you lock your bike to something that’s fixed firmly to the ground, and is tall enough that your bike cannot be lifted off.
4. Don’t just lock your frame. Make sure your wheels and saddle are secured, too.
5. Don’t leave valuable accessories exposed. Remove cycling computers, pumps and even your water bottles.