Norco is a Canadian brand that is well established in the mountain biking world (which is natural given their home location of North Vancouver) and their road and cross offerings are quite popular as well. They have sponsored high level road teams north of the border for several years including the old Symmetrics team and the current H&R Block team. We got a close-up look at the new 2014 Tactic LTD road race model and their top of the line carbon cyclocross bike, the Threshold SL.
Tactic LTD – Carbon Road Race
The Tactic LTD shown here has Norco’s 46T Super High-Modulus Carbon frame and 30T High-Modulus Carbon fork. The LTD is equipped with SRAM’s RED 22 drivetrain and brakes and Easton EC70 Carbon 42mm Aero Wheelset and it represents the pinnacle of their carbon technology.
The Tactic is available in six sizes (48, 50.5, 53, 55.5, 58, 60.5, with the exception of the LE, 2 and 3 not available in size 48) and one color (Matte Black). It also comes in 6 different models from the top of the line Tactic LE at $7700 to the more affordable Tactic 3 (with mid-modulus frame) at $2125.
Features of the Norco Tactic LTD:
- Proprietary carbon road race frame: designed for speed and produced using Norco’s most advanced manufacturing processes, the Tactic frame is the absolute stiffest and lightest we make.
- Road Race geometry: designed with input from our road race teams, the Tactic’s steep angles and a short wheel base demand an aggressive riding position that maximizes sprinting power and efficiency.
- Tapered head tube and full carbon fork: work as a system to maximize front-end stiffness, delivering an exceptionally responsive ride experience.
- Power Chassis Design: the Tactic’s oversized down tube, BB shell and chain stays work together to create an extraordinarily rigid pedaling platform.
- ARC Race stays: engineered to optimize the stiffness-to-compliance ratio to maximize racer comfort without any compromise to pedaling efficiency and power transfer.
The prices across the Tactic line are as follows (shown in US dollars):
Tactic LE – $7195
Tactic LTD – $6379
Tactic SL – $4450
Tactic 1 – $3250
Tactic 2 – $2335
Tactic 3 – $1850
Threshold SL – Carbon Cross Bike with Disc
The Threshold is the high end cyclocross line from Norco and it comes in 3 carbon models and 3 alloy models. Shown here is the top of the line Threshold SL that has a retail price of $5110. For 2014, all of Norco’s cross bikes come with disc brakes, the lower models getting mechanical and the higher models getting hydraulic.
The Threshold SL frame is made from Norco’s 30T High-Mod Carbon and the fork is full 30T Carbon Tapered w/PM-Disc. The SL comes with SRAM’s RED22 drivetrain including SRAM’s Red Hydro brakes. The wheelset is Easton EA90 XD Tubeless Disc.
The Threshold SL comes with SRAM Red hydro brakes and the Threshold C1 comes with SRAM Rival hydro brakes. The Threshold C2 comes with Shimano 105 drivetrain and Hayes CX1 brakes. The rotors are 160mm front and 140mm on back. The Threshold also comes with 135mm axle spacing on rear to give more wheel choices as well as more clearance for the brakes.
The Threshold carbon models come in 5 sizes (50, 53, 56, 59, 61) and the Threshold alloy models come in 5 sizes (48, 51, 54, 57, 60). The Threshold SL shown here comes in Race Black only. Besides the mechanical brakes, the alloy models also get slightly relaxed geometry compared to the carbon models to make them more commuter friendly.
Features of the Norco Threshold SL:
- Proprietary carbon cyclocross frame: engineered to be highly responsive and stable over a variety of terrain, the Threshold frame delivers light weight, stiffness and strength.
- Tapered head tube and full carbon fork: all work as a powerful system to maximize front-end stiffness, delivering a highly responsive ride experience.
- Internal cable routing: keeps cables tucked safely out of harm’s way, reducing wear and prolonging cable life while ensuring smooth shifting and predictable braking in any conditions.
- PressFit 30 BB: ultra-lightweight and easy to install, Pressfit 30 bottom brackets help to prolong bearing life and accommodate stiffer cranks for greater pedaling efficiency.
- Disc brakes: deliver unmatched modulation, improved clearance, confidence-boosting stopping power and maximum control through mud, sand, snow, grass and gravel.
The prices across the Threshold line are as follows (shown in US dollars):
Threshold SL – $5110
Threshold C1 – $3320
Threshold C2 – $2050
Threshold A1 – $1395
Threshold A2 – $1175
Threshold A3 – $860
Be sure to check out more of Norco’s 2014 mountain bike lineup in their Interbike Virtual Trade Show Booth on Mtbr.com
RoadBikeReview has tested several of Norco’s road bikes in the past and we look forward to testing the latest batch of carbon goodness soon (cross season is upon us!) The fit and finish of these bikes are on par with the best offerings from the more well known brands and should be on the radar of any serious racer.
From the manufacturer:
“From grand tours to local crits, the Tactic delivers cutting-edge road race performance in any setting. Power through endless flats, charge up lung-busting climbs, rail corners and descend at electrifying speeds. Stretch your limits and realize your fullest potential. The Tactic’s exceptional ability to transfer power and confident, ultra-precise handling make it the perfect tool for getting to the top of the podium. Every race calls for a strategy; every racer needs a Tactic.”
“A dedicated cyclocross race bike, the Norco Threshold shines in the wild and unforgiving environments that make CX races such a spectacle to behold. Much like the racers it was designed for, this bike lives to out-compete and thrives in harsh conditions. Pedal it, carry it, push it – whatever it takes to get over the finish line before everyone else. If you’ve got CX in your blood, the Threshold is your ticket to ride.”
For more information: www.norco.com