The new Giro Aeon is the latest high end road helmet from the Scotts Valley based helmet maker. An ultra lightweight helmet it combines the ventilation of their current Ionos helmet with the lightweight feel of the Prolight. Unveiled for the first time last month at the grueling Tour of Flanders. We got our first hands on at the Sea Otter Classic, Eric Richter pointed out some of the highlights in this video below.
Photos and Official Press Release after the jump
Giro Launches Aeon Performance Road Helmet at Tour of Flanders
Scotts Valley, CA, United States, – Giro®, the cycling world’s design leader since 1985, has unveiled their newest high‐performance cycling helmet, the Aeon. The first public showing of the Aeon came at one of cycling’s toughest and most respected one‐day races, the 95th Tour of Flanders. Combining the outstanding ventilation and fit of the Tour de France‐winning Ionos with the extreme low weight of another of the company’s Tour de France-winning helmets, the Prolight (the lightest CPSC-‐certified helmet available), the Aeon sets a new standard for all performance road helmets. The Aeon will come in three sizes and eight colorways and be available through Giro dealers in North America and Europe in mid‐May.
“After 25 years of continuous refinement, it isn’t easy to make significant leaps in performance without compromising features,” said Greg Shapleigh, Senior Vice President for Giro and Easton Cycling. “But we took the leading attributes of our best helmets and applied our best technologies and ideas about design, and optimized every component. The result is the Aeon, a full‐featured helmet with the same category-defining ventilation of the Ionos, but 25% less weight.”
Giro attained leading performance and safety goals by utilizing a variety of technologies perfected through rigorous development and testing in their world‐class helmet technology center in Scotts Valley, CA. They began with an optimized helmet design which minimizes contact points with the skull to enhance ventilation while allowing use of lower density EPS foam for a 15% weight savings. The Aeon also features Giro’s latest and lightest internal
reinforcement technology, Thermoformed SL Roll Cage™, which helps the helmet to retain its protective structure in the event of an impact, while allowing 24 big Wind Tunnel™ channeled vents to force air through the helmet for maximum cooling. Giro’s Super Fit engineering process helps to ensure maximum comfort, and combined with the independent vertical and fit adjustments of the Roc Loc® 5 fit system, allows the Aeon to fit up to 98% of the population.
Giro’s new Aeon adds up to the lightest full featured helmet available, one that gives real‐world performance benefits from improved thermoregulation and reduced weight. Cooler + lighter = faster.
Giro Aeon Specs
- Only 222 grams (size M, CPSC certified), this helmet is almost 25% lighter than Ionos™ and almost as light as the Prolight™, our lightest production helmet.
- 24 Wind Tunnel™ Vents are enhanced with internal channeling to actively move air through the helmet for maximum cooling.
- New Thermoformed SL Roll Cage™ is 49% lighter than previous composite designs, and allows maximum vent size while helping the helmet to retain structure in the event of an impact.
- Roc Loc® 5 Fit System allows rider to easily dial-‐in both fit tension and adjust vertical position with a single hand thanks to a ratcheting, micro-‐adjusting dial.
- Ultra-light “Slimline” Webbing
- X-Static® Padding fights odor-causing bacteria
- 3 Super Fit™ Sizes: S, M, L (will accommodate 98% of human population)
- Certified to CPSC standard
- Available in 8 colorways including 3 limited editions: World Champion, Garmin-‐Cervélo, and Rabobank.
- Price $250